12 Replies - 1217 Views - Last Post: 27 September 2010 - 03:12 PM

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Site Update

Posted 26 September 2010 - 09:12 AM

Hey. Just done an update on my website. Changed the design completely because I really was not happy with what I posted a couple of days ago. Check it out and lemme know what you think, and go ahead, test some tutorials out.

Cheers
www.mytutorialplanet.com
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Site Update

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Site Update

Posted 26 September 2010 - 10:20 AM

The design isnt really a massive improvement on the last, however I am not intending to shoot down your achievement in building the site.

The code is getting there, you deffinatly are progressing (and at a good pace).

Sort yourself out a favicon (dynamic drive is an easy place to convert your image to .ico or use the photoshop plugin).

Deffiantly lose the bevel effect from the border around the site.

The header is too busy and dosnt really seem to represent anything todo with the site.

Keep at it.

This post has been edited by PhunkRabbit: 26 September 2010 - 10:20 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 September 2010 - 12:18 PM

I do see some improvements from the last version but not that much.

The navigation bar seems amateur. Try knocking of the huge border and replace it with a gradient nav.

Just create an image in photoshop with a width of 20px and height of the nav. Place a gradient on that image, then in the css just repeat that image across the nav.

The header image doesn't fit with the site. It does look a bit oldish style.
Create a different header and sidebar image.

I do agree with taking off the bevel on the contours of the site. As this does scream amateur.

I hope this helps without being too negative.
You have made some progress, and it's coming along.

-Daniel
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 September 2010 - 12:27 PM

I can tell its improving because the other day, I just had no excitment at all about the page, but now, i am getting a bit more excited. Will apply some of you advise.
About the header image. This is actually one of our tutorials applied to our header, so it does somewhat fit into the site. Hopefully, I might be able to find a way to keep this in. Maybe I could change the little section underneath this with the title?

Cheers for the advise
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 September 2010 - 03:01 PM

Yes, it has improved since the last iteration. I am glad the books were removed, they just didn't look right with the rest of the site.

Now, As for suggestions. I would (personally) remove the border from everything on the site, it isn't really necessary, people can tell that the layout is three column and you have a header/ footer based on the navbar and copyright statement at the bottom. The left column is also used to advertise a tutorial on the site, so I think people will get that pretty quick, with the right column being an actual ad.

Once the borders are gone I would suggest moving your whole page up to about 5 pixels under the top of the page (so there is a smaller border up top), and add about a 5 pixel margin on the bottom of your page.

The only other thing you may (or may not want to think about) with this iteration is making the site fluid instead of fixed-width, though that will require changing how you are doing your banner image.

Keep going, it's getting better.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 September 2010 - 03:43 PM

I did actually try removing every border on that page, but it really didnt go well. It left gaps everywhere. Maybe i could set the borders white?

p.s. How did DreamInCode stretch their webpage across the whole length of my screen?

This post has been edited by nick2price: 26 September 2010 - 03:44 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 September 2010 - 05:32 PM

p.s. How did DreamInCode stretch their webpage across the whole length of my screen?

This is called a fluid page. It's a page where it can stretch across all resolutions and screens. To accomplish this you will need to change some of your code.

This should get you started:http://active.tutspl...website-layout/

Hope this Helps,

-Daniel
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 September 2010 - 06:14 PM

Thanks for the advise guys, and info about liquid layout. I have found a nice tutorial which does it in css rather than as3, because after my last website, I never want to use flash to create a website again!
Although this is not tottally on topic, maybe someone could advise me.

Is it normal to create a new css file for every single page within my website? Reason I ask is because vertical wise, the size of the pages are different dependent of the size of tutorials and the number of adverts I can fit in. Additionally, it just seems easier to manage. Problem is, I am relatively new to web design, so I am not sure if I am conforming to standards. And seeing that I have decided to do my MSc in Multimedia which is a totally new challenge moving from a BSc in computer science, I really should know these things.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 September 2010 - 07:08 PM

Most sites just use a single CSS file across the entire thing. Though there are a few sites that have different CSS files depending on the page. I would suggest using a single CSS file, it allows user's browsers to cache less and makes loading faster overall.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 September 2010 - 01:03 AM

A good example of using multiple style sheets would be in the senario of having alot of classes/ids/styles that only apply to specific pages.

You would have the basic structure and site stlyes in your standard CSS, then duplicate this and add the additional stuff for tutorial pages for example however unless its a massive site then thats abit OTT.

You have to weigh up the pro's and conns.

Is it worth making another file need caching for the benifit of having smaller CSS files?
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 September 2010 - 12:53 PM

In turns of conforming to standards, I seem to recall that when I looked at asp.net as few years back, it was very popular to use a master page. Does anyone know if there is an equavilent to this in HTML?

On a side note, had my first web development module today for my MSc in Mutlimedia, looked into SGML. If i remember correctly, you save these files with a .dtd extension. Has anyone ever come across a website on the web which has actually defined its own language like this? Additionally, anyone know of a good parser for SGML? Uni said they dont have one because they are too expensive, but if I dont have one, then I will be vunerable to making mistakes!!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 September 2010 - 12:59 PM

I use a masterfile quite alot when it comes to PHP/HTML sites.

All of the style, structure and theme is in the index file or a couple of template files then all the content is dynamically pulled into the index with the aid of query strings (?page=about - /page/about/ with htaccess.)

However outside of PHP my programming knowledge of server side code hits a brick wall.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 September 2010 - 03:12 PM

I too always use a PHP based master file (which is templates and inclusions of other files to build a page based on rules set for each one individually (though they all use the same structure)).

I haven't seen any sites out there that use custom DTDs, though that isn't to say there aren't ones out there... I just haven't seen any.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1