Suggestion for a forum dedicated to regular expressions

Page 1 of 1

1 Replies - 775 Views - Last Post: 28 September 2010 - 02:31 PM

• Pirate King
  • member icon

• View blog

RegEx Forum

Posted 28 September 2010 - 01:23 PM

I recently encountered a problem where it took me a long while to figure out a regular expression search pattern. To me it also seems there are lots of questions that center around regular expressions and how to get them to do what you need. I propose a forum dedicated to regular expressions alone. I realize sometimes the implementation is language dependent but it seems most flavors share a surprising degree of similarity. I would also claim that regular expressions themselves display a structure syntax of their own, and are practically a nested programming language.

So, just something to consider for those that want help with regular expressions as opposed to actual code. Perhaps a subforum of Other Languages?

This post has been edited by grimpirate: 28 September 2010 - 01:25 PM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: RegEx Forum

• The Ninjaducky
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: RegEx Forum

Posted 28 September 2010 - 02:31 PM

I do see it as a separate language, however, the language is so truly embedded in other languages that I think the distinction between something expressly for the RegEx forum or something that is mixed is not very clear. I mean, in the Java forum, we often talk about the split() method, which is a Java language thing. However, it uses RegEx patterns to do. Which forum does this go in? Say we move it and find out that they need to search a different way. I see not enough solely-RegEx style PROBLEMS (not talking solutions) to merit its own forum, or even its own subforum.

Like I said, topics that start with RegEx are easy to talk about, but when discussion commences, RegEx is often a solution with OTHER potential solutions. However, that's just my perspective from the Java/Python forums primarily.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1