4 Replies - 1551 Views - Last Post: 29 September 2010 - 10:45 AM

#1 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

OpenOffice out from under Oracle?

Posted 29 September 2010 - 07:49 AM

This is a bit of bright news... OpenOffice is now LibreOffice and restructured out from under Oracle. While this seems good and dandy (getting away from Sun's StarOffice) I am a bit concerned about this new management by commitee: "OpenOffice's development and direction will be decided by a steering committee of developers and national language project managers".

OpenOffice.org Leaves Oracle, Becomes LibreOffice

A major restructuring of the OpenOffice.org project announced today has separated OpenOffice.org from database developer Oracle, which inherited it when it acquired Sun Microsystems earlier this year.

Has this ever really worked? I would hate for OpenOffice to be buried under the weight of smug, egos, and consistent inability to change.

SmashingMagazine has a great article on The Case For Open-Source Design: Can Design By Committee Work which gives me some hope.

I am just woefully under informed on the machinations of the open source development community, so help me out. Does OpenOffice have a chance to survive out on their own - free and clear? Will they survive for the long term, or will the center not hold and it collapses in on itself? It always sounds like the internal politics kill projects by stagnation.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: OpenOffice out from under Oracle?

• Wubba lubba dub dub!
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: OpenOffice out from under Oracle?

Posted 29 September 2010 - 08:03 AM

Do you want this moved to a more "professional" sub-forum? Cube or Industry news?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Isn't a volcano just an angry hill?
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 September 2010 - 09:07 AM

I can get Microsoft Office for free from my university if I made a request for it in our MSDNAA thing, and I still like OpenOffice better. Too bad it looks like they're going to run this into the ground.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Enhance Your Calm
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 September 2010 - 10:37 AM

View PostWolfCoder, on 29 September 2010 - 03:07 PM, said:

Too bad it looks like they're going to run this into the ground.

Why do you say that? Looks to me like the bulk of the OpenOffice.org community simply created a fork and started working on that instead of the Oracle owned brand. Why would that run the project into the ground?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 September 2010 - 10:45 AM

@KYA Move it where you see fit. The lounge was more of a preemptive location for any sort of flame war on open source vs the world.. etc
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1