5 Replies - 1306 Views - Last Post: 11 October 2010 - 01:17 PM

• Hash != Encryption
  • member icon

• View blog

What should I improve?

Posted 29 September 2010 - 10:31 PM

http://www.creativecodingstudios.com/

There is my website. Built from the ground up (other than the menu). I really like purple and black. That is my websites theme. But I don't know if I should keep it on the sides.... What should I do?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: What should I improve?

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: What should I improve?

Posted 30 September 2010 - 10:11 AM

I have a few suggestions, mostly being update to more current styles, that is either center the site or may it liquid so that it takes up the entire screen space available. Right now it looks to be made for a screen resolution of 1024 width and even there it is left aligned.

Second, I would suggest making the banner and the nav bar the same width as the three columns combined. At the moment there appears to be a 5 to 10 pixel gap on either side of them where the first and third column go over.

Third, I would increase your font size for the nav bar. at the moment it appears to bbe around 30 pixels tall with text that doesn't go into the bottom half of those 30 pixels - possibly make this text bold as well.

Fourth, I would suggest having a single skin for the entire site. At the moment you have your ugu portion of the site with almost a completely different color scheme, this doesn't imply that they are the same site other than the logo up top, and could confuse users.

Fifth, I would look into changing the content pane's background and text color. As it stands you are using darker colors for the rest of your site and then have a large white square in the middle. This strains the eyes and most users won't like trying to read on that. Additionally, if any older people or people with eye problems are looking at your site they may get discouraged as they may be unable to focus on the text. This could be a similar problem if you go too dark with your font on a dark background, or if you go with highly contrasting colors such as black and yellow, black and light green, black and red, etc. Given that you like the purple color scheme (which I personally have no problem with), I would suggest taking a few pointers from other studio sites which go with a similar color scheme (such as http://planetrenders.net/ ), granted they obviously could have the problem with older people like I pointed out above, but the skin and site as a whole gives the feeling that they are targeting a younger audience.

Sixth, I would consider removing the right column for a larger left and center column, and placing the content from the right column above or below the login form (probably below). That way the site will be cleaner and won't have as much text strewn about, as it stands I don't think your homepage will actually change much in height depending on how you resize things.

Seventh, I would avoid linking to other sites for content. I understand that you are just linking to your own blog, but it again has a different skin than the one on your site, plus this time it has a different URL. What I would suggest you do instead is get an installation of Wordpress up and running on your server and skin it accordingly.

Eigth, the links in your navbar have a green style once they have been visited, I would consider moving this back to the white and just have the page that the user is currently visiting in the green text, though I would also consider changing the green text to a light purple or something to better blend with your color scheme.

Sorry, I know that this may look like I am picking on you, I am really not trying to. I'm just giving you some things to consider, you may do as you wish with each of the suggestions above.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 30 September 2010 - 10:34 AM

What this man said^
I like the purple and greyscale theme, if black and white are part of a greyscale? I don't know either way it's a nice combination I used the same colours originally in my latest practice http://img413.images...3716/hmmtzy.png

What I think is the best practice is to visit a website like DreamTemplate and just try your hand at mimicking a template that you really like and think would look good for your data and go from there, obviously using your own colour schemes and the likes.

I really like your nav though!
Practice makes perfect!
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Hash != Encryption
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 September 2010 - 04:22 PM

Wow thanks! I wish I could give more then one rep!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 October 2010 - 05:41 PM

Well then. I can't see the navigation menu unless I roll over it which may be a little irritation to someone visiting the website. It also has a very long domain. I don't like the big gap between the header and content. You could float your navigation to the left. You didn't use tables so that's a good thing. This is a good website besides those little things. It's clean and has a modern look to it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 11 October 2010 - 01:17 PM

I know this might sound like a lame comment I'm not sure. Since my comment is so short compared to other and I'm not really an expert.

But I'm missing pictures! Unless you're going to add them later?
For example a picture in the purple bar or above it!

This post has been edited by M s X: 11 October 2010 - 01:18 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1