8 Replies - 1995 Views - Last Post: 14 October 2010 - 06:18 PM

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Computer Programmer's Job

Posted 04 October 2010 - 09:30 PM

Alright, so I'm wondering what computer programmers do for their jobs if hired by a company...just type code for 10hrs a day?

I love computers but I'd rather not sit in front of a screen typing all day long :)
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Computer Programmer's Job

• using System.Linq;
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Computer Programmer's Job

Posted 04 October 2010 - 09:38 PM

Obviously if you are hired as a programmer (software engineer) you will be expected to develop software. Depends on the employer, but given the position I am pretty sure that most of the time you will work at the computer. Of course there are breaks, but don't expect those to be more than 1-2 (max) hours per day - productivity is the key.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 October 2010 - 09:42 PM

Depends on the job, depends on the position, depends on the company.

It's hardly all typing. There is a lot of reading documentation, writing documentation about how your code/functionality is going to fix, prevent, or interact with other objects in place. Testing code, finding solutions, reading code, finding errors. Working with team members to come to an agreed solution. Team meetings, scheduled lunches. More documentation. Documenting your work hours, vs meeting hours, vs client hours, vs coding hours, vs testing hours. Loading the product into a test environment. Documenting the results. Loading the new code/project back into test. Documenting those results. Loading the final product into production. Verifying that it fixed, prevented, or interacted with the production environment. Following through with failsafe measures if the product didn't perform like it was supposed to... starting all over, ditching the project all together & moving onto something else. Lastly you are going to have to write documentation to provide to anyone whom will support the product once it's running in production.

When I worked as a developer, very little of my time was actually spent coding. Our department jokingly called ourselves 'professional ditch diggers', because we were paid to spend most of our time filling in holes that we were paid to make in the 1st place.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Awesome
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 October 2010 - 04:30 AM

View PostCore, on 04 October 2010 - 10:38 PM, said:

Obviously if you are hired as a programmer (software engineer) you will be expected to develop software.

I have to disagree. A Software Developer develops software. This is different than engineering software.
Was This Post Helpful? -1
  • +
  • -

• Not Your Ordinary Programmer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 October 2010 - 05:01 AM

View PostJambr, on 05 October 2010 - 07:30 AM, said:

Obviously if you are hired as a programmer (software engineer) you will be expected to develop software.

I have to disagree. A Software Developer develops software. This is different than engineering software.

That really just gets into the semantics of how you classify a programmer vs. software engineer vs. software developer. To me, a software engineer and software developer could be interchangeable. A programmer(to me), is somebody who is given a specific task to complete and they do it without having to worry about the overall application.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• フカユ
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 October 2010 - 05:10 AM

View PostJambr, on 05 October 2010 - 10:30 AM, said:

That debate is extremely pedantic.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Awesome
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 October 2010 - 05:40 AM

Maybe, but its still true.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Ninjaducky
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 October 2010 - 03:41 PM

If you want to argue that, feel free to start your own topic. For the time being, it's probably better not to pick words.

OT:

I'm not a Software Developer/Computer Scientist/Software Engineer/whatever yet simply because I have not had a formal education on the subject yet. At the moment, the majority of my time coding is looking at API, testing alternative methods in another test program, and then integrating those experiments into the overall design. Most of my time at the moment is figuring out exactly the best way to approach the situation.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 October 2010 - 06:18 PM

I would say 10% of my day is spent coding on new project(s), 40% is spent debugging someone elses mess (fixing production issues/etc), 10% socializing/lunch, 20-30% is spent in meetings and/or discussion groups for old/new projects, and the rest is spent sending/replying to emails.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1