3 Replies - 2293 Views - Last Post: 15 October 2010 - 05:47 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Problem with wireless connection on gateway laptop

Posted 09 October 2010 - 01:02 PM

Hello,
This probably has actually been going on for several months. I'm trying to fix my friends laptop a Gateway MX 3701, I believe it's about 4 or 5 years old. She's totally due for a new one but she really needs to wait another couple months and needs it for work.
The problem is it's wireless connection. It randomly cannot find any wireless networks even though there is one in the house, and my laptop will sit right beside and find networks and connect no problem at all. Then if it does find a connection the connection will be dropped within a few minutes. I have formatted the laptop so it is a fresh install of windows XP right now, I have only installed norton but norton has not been able to update due to the connection always being lost. My understanding is that it would have to be to laptop itself since I run 2 other computers wirelessly on the network and never have a problem (although they are both running vista) but networking is definitely not an area I know alot about so any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Problem with wireless connection on gateway laptop

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Problem with wireless connection on gateway laptop

Posted 09 October 2010 - 01:13 PM

I tried restarting it and now the wireless adapter is not listed in the device manager...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 October 2010 - 07:31 PM

Does the event log show the device driver as failing? Check for a manual switch, &/or function key combination. It's possible that either the device died, or was inadvertently turned off.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 October 2010 - 05:47 AM

ya im not a big fan of the mini pci ports ( for the wireless cards on laptops) they could be called somthing else i forgot. but i would go buy a usb wireless card. for a powerful one go to dealextreme.com in the search box type bt4
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1