4 Replies - 3181 Views - Last Post: 12 October 2006 - 08:17 PM

• THIS IS SPARTAAA
  • member icon

• View blog

Does identical information between two websites hurt SEO?

Posted 10 October 2006 - 07:45 AM

I run quite a few websites for a company. I was told by someone, who wasn't sure, that if I take copy I wrote for one section of one website, and pasted it into the other site (different hosting and url) that it would hurt my SEO because of the duplicate text between two sites.

Does anyone know the validity of that statement? Couldn't seem to find anything online and I did not believe it to be correct.

edit: These sites are NOT unrelated, they are very much similar in content and business purpose and generated by the same company.

This post has been edited by symphonicreverb: 10 October 2006 - 07:55 AM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Does identical information between two websites hurt SEO?

• Head DIC Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Does identical information between two websites hurt SEO?

Posted 10 October 2006 - 08:03 AM

Here's a good little run down of duplicate content penalties at search engine round table:

http://www.seroundta...ves/003398.html

The issue with duplicate content is muli-faceted. First, if someone writes an article, then another site comes along and steal/scrapes that article... google doesn't know who the original author was, so it will penalize both and burry them in the SERPS.

If you run multiple sites for the same company, even something as simple as having a european version and a US version (same content in english), it could create a duplicate content penalty. It's best to change up the content a little bit, or focus on 1 site for the search engines and tag your other sites with noindex or put a robots.txt exclusion on the entire duplicate site.

If your purpose it to game the search engines, I honestly don't have enough black hat knowledge to know how to safely do this, but if the point is to have multiple sites for various ad campaigns, or affiliates/resellers, then you should only have 1 show up in the search engines.

Just my $0.02
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• THIS IS SPARTAAA
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 October 2006 - 10:06 AM

Thanks for that, great read btw.

Basically, we have one website that is our big traffic puller right now, great google and yahoo SEO. We're turning over the company "go by" name to the new URL, and that site has been up for about 6 months. Soon, I need to convert site #2 into the mainsite, tranfering over all the information. Provided I rewrite say every 2nd sentence a bit, it should be ok. Just adding commas or rephrasing things?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Head DIC Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 October 2006 - 10:14 AM

rephrase a little, I'm not an expert on the duplicate content stuff, so a little more search of how to avoid duplicate content penalties may be in order.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 October 2006 - 08:17 PM

good point to the above post, just add comma or say add a different author at the beginning of the content, this makes a different content or if the word have other term in the dictionary use it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1