2 Replies - 4740 Views - Last Post: 03 November 2010 - 04:16 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Looking for information on programming in pseudocode

Posted 31 October 2010 - 09:55 PM

Hello All & Greetings from Lapeer, Michigan!
I am a second year student attending Axia College online and I am also taking my first course in programming. I am struggling and have been from the start. I do not have a strong programming background, but do not consider myself to be computer illiterate either. I believe a lot of the problem is that the course, Fundamentals in Programming with Algorithms and Logic IT/210, is non-specific in the language used for the course and its work. Also since I am a newbie at this I guess in hindsight taking an online course for this was not very smart on my part. I have squeaked by the first three weeks and am passing with a C right now, but I have a new assignment due that has taken me from learning about pseudocode, heirarchy charts, input/ process/ output charts directly into designing a program and testing it. I am not asking for anyone to do my work whatsoever. I am asking for suggestions on where I might be able to find information that might help me to better understand what it is that is being asked of me so that I may pass this course and not mess up my very hard earned 3.4 GPA thus far in my quest for a degree. Websites, information, etc, that might help me would be great especially since the course's text is in my opinion horrible for anyone new to programming. Again any and all help, advice, and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

[b]• Read the following scenario:

You are an accountant setting up a payroll system for a small firm. Each line of the table in Appendix G indicates an employee’s salary range and corresponding base tax amount and tax percentage. Given a salary amount, the tax is calculated by adding the base tax for that salary range and the product of percentage of excess and the amount of salary over the minimum salary for that range.

• Design a program that solves this problem.
• Generate a set of input test values.
• Perform a design walkthrough to verify your design.

As a resource I have been given the following appendix:

Appendix G

Sequential and Selection Process Control Structure
In the following example, the second line of the table specifies that tax due on a salary of $2000.00 is $225.00 plus 16% of excess salary over $1500.00 (that is, 16% of $500.00). Therefore, the total tax is $225.00 + $80.00, or $305.00.

Salary Range in Dollars Base Tax in Dollars Percentage of Excess
1. 1 0.00-1,499.99 0.00 15 %
2. 2 1,500.00-2,999.99 225.00 16 %
3. 3 3,000.00-4,999.99 465.00 18 %
4. 4 5,000.00-7,999.99 825.00 20 %
5. 5 8,000.00-14,999.99 1425.00 25 %

I am unclear about what programming language to even use since this course is non-specific in its language. I am extremely confused.

Best Regards,

Denny

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Looking for information on programming in pseudocode

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Looking for information on programming in pseudocode

Posted 02 November 2010 - 04:56 PM

I believe a lot of the problem is that the course, Fundamentals in Programming with Algorithms and Logic IT/210, is non-specific in the language used for the course and its work...I am unclear about what programming language to even use since this course is non-specific in its language. I am extremely confused.
It's just English. You explain what to do in English. You need to spell out details, and be precise, but otherwise, there's nothing fancy here.

A specific programming language would not help you. If you can't describe what happens in English, you certainly can't present code for it. What it takes is a combination of problem solving and a focus on clearly specifying what to do.

You are asking for help. So the question is, are you stuck on solving the problem, or describing the steps to solve the problem? For example, if I told you there is a salary of $10,000 , could you tell me the total tax to be paid?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Saucy!
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Looking for information on programming in pseudocode

Posted 03 November 2010 - 04:16 AM

I am unclear about what programming language to even use since this course is non-specific in its language. I am extremely confused.

Doesn't this scream out "ASK THE INSTRUCTOR"?!?!? Geez.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1