1 Replies - 2111 Views - Last Post: 01 November 2010 - 08:21 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

browser based chess-like game language questions

Posted 01 November 2010 - 08:06 PM

First off, i program in no language at this time.
So if i am to learn a language what would be most useful and versatile for the following:
I want to take a chess-like game which i developed several years ago (and currently play within a school based club) and create a browser based game that can handle multiple games at once through a PC and eventually via Mobile devices.
From other topics i am thinking c++ but then I also read about java and a string of others whose names i have forgotten presently.
Also i have heard about a program called Torque which can aid in building games: is it a good program for what i am trying to do?
And lastly, for now, what kind of game would this be called, turn-based strategy game?
I hope that was clear enough and not to wordy.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: browser based chess-like game language questions

• Games, Graphs, and Auctions
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: browser based chess-like game language questions

Posted 01 November 2010 - 08:21 PM

I want to take a chess-like game which i developed several years ago (and currently play within a school based club) and create a browser based game that can handle multiple games at once through a PC and eventually via Mobile devices.

Given that you want to start out online and migrate to the PC and Mobile platforms, a database-driven application is the way to go. This will allow you to easily store information, as well as allow multiplayer games, and for each player to have multiple games going on their profile. Basically you will use your server-side language to query the database, process the information returned from the database, determine what to output, and update the database from input. You can use technologies like AJAX to ping the server for a more real-time experience. As for the mobile and PC platforms, you basically do the same thing in terms of database processing, minus the AJAX. As for a choice in server-side languages, you have three major players: PHP, ASP.NET, and ColdFusion. If you want to learn Java or C++, PHP's syntax is the most similar, so I would recommend PHP.

From other topics i am thinking c++ but then I also read about java and a string of others whose names i have forgotten presently.

Both Java and C++ are awesome languages to learn, and very useful. What does your school offer? I'd pick the one your school offers and go for that. If you want to develop for the mobile platform, though, you use Java to develop Android apps, so Java would make that transition easier. There is a thread in Software Development What Language Should I Learn, which you may want to read up on before making a decision on a language.

Also, the project you are describing is pretty ambitious if you have minimal programming experience. This could take a couple months at least if you take the web route before you find yourself at a point where you are ready to develop the game. Make sure you seriously take the time and learn the language you choose before devling in to make the game, otherwise, you will be seriously frustrated and overwhelmed. Tackle smaller programming problems in an effort to build your skills first.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1