• (2 Pages)
  • +

21 Replies - 2718 Views - Last Post: 15 November 2010 - 05:47 AM

• Awesome
  • member icon

• View blog

MIT OpenCourseWare

Posted 05 November 2010 - 03:32 PM

How do you all feel about MIT OpenCourseWare? I just finished watching a lecture for 6.00 Introduction to Computer Science and Programming and I found it to be pretty neat. The information wasn't anything amazing since it was just the first lecture, but I think it is great that MIT has decided to put this stuff on the Internet for anyone to watch.

MIT OpenCourseWare provides course notes, example assignments and quizzes, and even video lectures for some courses. For a person like myself, who is genuinely interested in learning, this is perfect. I get access to the professors of MIT, without having to pay for it. Now, I don't want to sound like a mooch, but MIT is expensive, and I couldn't afford to go there if I had the grades.

The university I go to does not have the greatest Computer Science department and I feel that MIT OpenCourseWare will be a great supplement to my studies. Should I encounter a professor that has no business teaching, I can go to their lectures, then watch a similar lecture offered by a (hopefully) competent professor from MIT.

Discuss.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 2
  • +

Replies To: MIT OpenCourseWare

• The Algorithmi
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: MIT OpenCourseWare

Posted 05 November 2010 - 04:06 PM

MIT opencourseware is pretty great, I enjoy watching some videos there. To be honest though, there isn't too much difference between the professors at my uni and the professors in the videos when it comes to explaining the material, both do a great job at it. All in all though MIT OCW is really good, I enjoy using their materials every now and then.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 05 November 2010 - 04:07 PM

I agree that it's a good thing but the only real problem is the courses online by these given universities are very intro. The other problem is you don't really have access to the professor as you've said. There is no way to participate in sessions outside of lectures and there are no grading of assignments and homework to gauge how you actually fair against the actual class. While I still think it is greatly beneficial, I think that it doesn't represent the full curriculum well.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Awesome
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 November 2010 - 05:03 PM

I am taking my first two CS courses next semester, I couldn't take any this semester because I fucked up my schedule. I will have the same professor in both courses and from what I understand, it is very hard to stay awake through her classes; the courses are at 9:00 AM and 10:00 AM. I plan on taking the time to watch all of the lectures for 6.00 Introduction to Computer Science and Programming. One of the courses that I will have next semester is Introduction to Computer Science, the other is Object-Oriented Programming I (a Java course).

What other universities offer something like MIT OpenCourseWare? I know Stanford has put their Introduction to Computer Science course on the web.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 05 November 2010 - 10:19 PM

View PostJambr, on 05 November 2010 - 03:32 PM, said:

Now, I don't want to sound like a mooch, but MIT is expensive, and I couldn't afford to go there if I had the grades.

Everybody can afford MIT. They do have a financial aid, you know? And it's not some poor state school. They're sitting on billions.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Awesome
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 November 2010 - 10:50 PM

View PostNikitin, on 06 November 2010 - 12:49 AM, said:

Everybody can afford MIT. They do have a financial aid, you know? And it's not some poor state school. They're sitting on billions.

MIT costs ~$38,000 a year. I can't afford that, and noone is going to give me that much money for one year.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 06 November 2010 - 09:38 AM

View PostJambr, on 05 November 2010 - 10:50 PM, said:

View PostNikitin, on 06 November 2010 - 12:49 AM, said:

MIT costs ~$38,000 a year. I can't afford that, and noone is going to give me that much money for one year.

You should do at least the most rudimentary research (something you'll be expected off while at MIT) before saying stuff like that. Go to MIT's financial aid website and read it a little bit.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Awesome
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 November 2010 - 09:55 AM

View PostNikitin, on 06 November 2010 - 12:08 PM, said:

You should do at least the most rudimentary research (something you'll be expected off while at MIT) before saying stuff like that. Go to MIT's financial aid website and read it a little bit.

Let me rephrase. I can't afford to leave school nearly $160,000 in debt.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#9 Guest_Guest*

Posted 06 November 2010 - 10:13 AM

View PostJambr, on 06 November 2010 - 08:55 AM, said:

View PostNikitin, on 06 November 2010 - 12:08 PM, said:

Let me rephrase. I can't afford to leave school nearly $160,000 in debt.

I can rephrase too - you won't.
Was This Post Helpful? 0

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 06 November 2010 - 10:19 AM

Forgot to login...

Yeah, definitely do some research.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#11 macosxnerd101   User is online

• Games, Graphs, and Auctions
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 November 2010 - 01:51 PM

As a reminder to everyone, please keep discussions on-topic and leave the personal attacks out of it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• 私もクールです

• View blog

Posted 08 November 2010 - 09:10 AM

@Jambr

MIT has a lot in house scholarships and grants, most of them need based. Which gives people like us a break.
The figures seem almost too good to be true, but it behooves an educational institution to be truthful about their financial aid capabilities.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Awesome
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 November 2010 - 09:32 AM

Yes, MIT does have a lot to offer. However, I also have personal reasons why MIT is not an option. Also, I messed up in high school so getting in would be a very long shot. I plan on re-taking my SAT (which I did fairly decent on the first time around) just to make myself feel smart. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• 私もクールです

• View blog

Posted 08 November 2010 - 09:54 AM

Sounds like a plan. Just didn't want a fellow student discouraged from applying to recognized school due to financial reasons. Also, charm and persistence go a long way, just a heads up ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Awesome
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 November 2010 - 10:31 AM

Had I actually considered going to college earlier, I probably could have gotten into any school I wanted. However, my plan was always to go into the Air Force so I (stupidly) figured that my grades didn't really matter.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +