2 Replies - 1099 Views - Last Post: 07 November 2010 - 08:15 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Need some advice on which language

Posted 07 November 2010 - 07:53 AM

Hello,

I am planning the development of a website but prior to doing so, need some input on the best language to carry out my specification.

The website needs to accept HTTP form requests, process the data and display it in a graphical manner. The graphics need to contain graphs, text, images, googlemaps, and if possible (not essential) nice Flash like fading/expanding of results.

I don't know what languages would best suit this. I could potentially write it all in a mixture of java JSP, javascript and a JApplet as I have knowledge of them all. However, from experience Java is never really "pretty to look at". Considering I have full reign over this I'm wondering how well something new like Ruby on Rails or C#/asp.net would suit. Any other ideas you may have would be nice.

Thank you

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Need some advice on which language

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Re: Need some advice on which language

Posted 07 November 2010 - 07:57 AM

Did you read the "Which Language is Best" thread at the top of this page?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Need some advice on which language

Posted 07 November 2010 - 08:15 AM

Yes, I checked that before submitting the thread.

I know the aspects of Java inside out but the other options, RoR and C#/asp.net I don't. Before I commit to learning one of these languages, I wanted some input if they are viable for what I am trying to achieve or if there is an alternative I should look into. Perhaps I should stick to Java, just it seemed a good time to learn something new.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1