3 Replies - 11565 Views - Last Post: 12 December 2011 - 12:15 PM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Unity - A 3D Game Engine

Posted 12 November 2010 - 07:46 PM

Hello all,

I thought I'd just make a quick topic about a program I recently encountered. Unity is a 3D Games engine that allows you to make your own scripts in several different languages such as C#, Javascript etc.

It is a very nice tool, Though you don't program the whole thing, It is still a very clever program which allows you to do so many things, of which you can import your own 3D models into etc.

They also have a web player for it so you can upload a game onto a website and more. It is also cross-platform with windows and mac, allowing you to export the game you made into both formats easily!

It's free to use for personal use so it's worth a try!

Link: http://unity3d.com/unity/download/

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Unity - A 3D Game Engine

• Hash != Encryption
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Unity - A 3D Game Engine

Posted 12 November 2010 - 11:33 PM

The latest version 3.1, has some amazing new features!

I really like the asset store!

http://puu.sh/pQW
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 December 2011 - 12:02 PM

View PostFungle, on 12 November 2010 - 07:46 PM, said:

Hello all,

I thought I'd just make a quick topic about a program I recently encountered. Unity is a 3D Games engine that allows you to make your own scripts in several different languages such as C#, Javascript etc.

It is a very nice tool, Though you don't program the whole thing, It is still a very clever program which allows you to do so many things, of which you can import your own 3D models into etc.

They also have a web player for it so you can upload a game onto a website and more. It is also cross-platform with windows and mac, allowing you to export the game you made into both formats easily!

It's free to use for personal use so it's worth a try!

Link: http://unity3d.com/unity/download/

I'm learning Unity 3D 3.4 now, and it is amazingly easy. As it compiles to native code, it is very fast too. You can use C#, Javascript, or Boo (A form of Python). When using C# you can use VS 2008 to edit your code too. It comes with Mono. It also supports 64 bit addressing, and multithreading. It works with huge multi-gigibyte projects easily. You can also package your projects, or assets for portability, and re-usability between projects or people. something I've found allot of online tutorials have not done, or covered. I'm glad I got a book on it, opened my eyes it did. I'm going to post my own Unity 3D blog soon as well, I'll cover allot of things I don't find in the wild, that I think need covering.

To see what others have made using Unity 3D check out this site here. http://www.wooglie.com/

My question though is why is there not a section for Unity 3D on DIC? It should be right next to XNA, it should.

This post has been edited by LanceJZ: 12 December 2011 - 12:05 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 December 2011 - 12:15 PM

View PostLanceJZ, on 12 December 2011 - 12:02 PM, said:

My question though is why is there not a section for Unity 3D on DIC? It should be right next to XNA, it should.

Probably because once you start dividing a forum into a thousand sub-forums, they all become ghost towns, in addition to the added maintenance burden it puts on the staff.

Granted, the existence of some of the sub-forums on this site ( such as the XNA one ) completely fly in the face of that theory. I would ( strictly in my opinion ) suggest that the XNA and various level of sub forums on this board are already too deep. In the way I browse, I normally pick a handful of forums within a board that interest me and that's about all I follow. So, while I am interested in .NET and C#, if it isn't in the C# forum for example, I tend to miss it. Unless the volume of discussion on a given topic begins to dominate a certain forum ( AKA, if 90% of the discussion in the game programming forum was about Unity ), I don't really think there should be a sub-forum made as it lessons the number of eyeballs that will see it.

Also, frankly, there hasn't really been all that much discussion on the subject of Unity, I suppose because if you had a Unity related problem, chances are you would go to the Unity forums.

This post has been edited by Serapth: 12 December 2011 - 12:17 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1