5 Replies - 2655 Views - Last Post: 19 November 2010 - 05:38 PM

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Protecting my Windows product key sticker?

Posted 18 November 2010 - 03:55 PM

Hey everyone, so I have this brand new Dell Alienware laptop and the Windows 7 sticker is located on the bottom. I've had laptops in the past that you can no longer read the sticker becausae of the wear over time. I was wondering if anyone knew of a way to protect the sticker so that in case I need it in the future I will still be able to read it.

Thanks in advance for any help given.
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Protecting my Windows product key sticker?

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Re: Protecting my Windows product key sticker?

Posted 18 November 2010 - 04:02 PM

View PostRandomlyKnighted, on 18 November 2010 - 02:55 PM, said:

Hey everyone, so I have this brand new Dell Alienware laptop and the Windows 7 sticker is located on the bottom. I've had laptops in the past that you can no longer read the sticker becausae of the wear over time. I was wondering if anyone knew of a way to protect the sticker so that in case I need it in the future I will still be able to read it.

Thanks in advance for any help given.

I'd probably just like..... write it down or something....

:chinese:
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Occasional Member

• View blog

Posted 18 November 2010 - 04:44 PM

Yeah, write it down or remove the sticker itself and keep it in a safe place. It would be interesting to see some sort of laminate on the sticker, but I can't imagine that being very easy to pull off or lasting too much longer than the sticker given the amount of heat/cool cycles the bottom of a laptop experiences, not to mention being moved around and scraped on tables, laps etc.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 18 November 2010 - 04:48 PM

I would recommend keeping a written copy of the key in a safe place. If you don't want to write it down you can also make a picture of it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 November 2010 - 11:41 AM

Two things you can do. One is get one of these:

Posted Image

...and write the product code onto the actual plastic of the case. Permanent marker is...well...permanent.

Other thing you can do is this: Look at the bottom of your laptop. Below is an image of a Dell Inspiron but your's will be somewhat similar.

Posted Image

You'll notice on this model two access hatches (the one marked "metal cover" and the battery compartment below it). I normally recommend opening the battery door so as to not void the warranties for monkeying with the guts. Anyway, open that battery door and you can write the sticker info on the inside of that door...or even write it on a slip of paper and just close that up with the battery.

This post has been edited by Craig328: 20 November 2010 - 06:08 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 19 November 2010 - 05:38 PM

Get a roll of clear type, and type it over the sticker. Cleanest way to make it legible and you can cut the tape to fit the area exactly. Cheap solution but works.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1