Using the site

Learning the basics of using this site

Page 1 of 1

4 Replies - 1042 Views - Last Post: 22 November 2010 - 02:40 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Using the site

Posted 18 November 2010 - 06:13 PM

I have looked for a page that explains how dreamincode works ever since I joined this site, but have never been able to find one? (Am I just being dumb?) A couple of things that have happened: It was requested that when I include code in my posts that I put it in code tags. I had never heard of code tags before in this context. I have since found the page on BBCode, so now I use tags when posting. Secondly, someone mentioned Reptuation Points. I had no idea what they were. I still don't know how to give them. The people in the PHP forum were very helpful, but I don't know how to give them credit. And, of course, I have no way of knowing what will be the next thing that I will fail to do or to do correctly because I haven't learned the basics of how to use this site. The folks in the PHP forum referred me to this forum for this question. Is there a page that explains how to use this site? I would like to be doing things right.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Using the site

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Using the site

Posted 18 November 2010 - 06:32 PM

1. Under 'my profile' (usually top right) there is an option for 'rules'. A quick link here: rules. TOS.
2. Code tags are pretty ubiquitous for programming sites, and I am not sure how to respond that you have not come across them.
3. Reputation points - at the bottom of posts there is a "Was this post helpful?" and a green plus and a red minus. Plus = helpful, minus = not.
Your points are tallied under your name that can be viewed in your profile or under your name in any post you made.
4. "no way of knowing what will be the next thing that I will fail to do or to do correctly because I haven't learned the basics" - this I can't help you with. It's a forum. Sure the nuances are a bit different between sites but ground rules tend to be the same...
- Don't ask for us to do your home work.
- Don't be a dick or a troll, but be a D.I.C.
- supersloth is a Saint.
- Make sure you post your questions in the right forum.
- Help out when you can with answers, tutorials, and snippets.

If you are asking if there is a book with all the little things put down - not so much. I don't think any site really has one. Just read the 'read this first' red boxed heading before you post - and make sure to follow it as best you can.

Red Box Heading said:

READ THIS FIRST:

1. We will not do your homework for you! Do not ask us to give you code!
2. Use proper English. Correct grammar and spelling is required.
3. Use BBCode when posting. For example:
Paste Your Code Here

4. Give your topic a descriptive title, NOT "Help" or "Plz Help Me" or "I'm a noob"
5. Describe any errors you are encountering. Help us help you!
6. Search for your problem before posting a new topic (Example: c++ mortgage):

Was This Post Helpful? 4
  • +
  • -

• Games, Graphs, and Auctions
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 November 2010 - 06:33 PM

Hi wadori, and welcome to Dream.in.Code! :)

The closest thing we have to a how-to page is the Dream.in.Code rules page.

In regards to your question about the reputation system, notice the Green + and Red - buttons on the bottom right corner of each post. You can vote for a post only one time, and you have a finite number of + and - votes a day. The Green + vote is intended for posts that are helpful in nature, and the Red - votes are for posts with blatantly wrong information or are in general off-topic or unhelpful. You can view the reputation you have given or received by viewing your profile. For more information on the Reputation System, check out this thread.

The other feature of this site you may not be aware of is the Personal Messenger system. You can access it by clicking the "My Profile" key icon on the top of the page, and hitting the "Messages" button under it. You can then send and receieve messages to/from individual members that are private. When you receive a message, your My Profile icon will flash between normal and red to alert you.

Hopefully this helps clarify some features. Feel free to post if you have any more questions. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 November 2010 - 12:33 PM

Thanks. Those posts were helpful. I would never have thought of looking under “My Profile”, however, to find the rules for using the site. As far why I haven’t encountered code tags before – I suppose it is because I am a newbie and have not had much experience at such forums. Regarding Reputation points – thank you for the explanation. I had, of course, noticed the plus and minus buttons (and had clicked on them at least once or twice before), but didn’t know what they had to do with “Reputation Points”.

Also, I don’t know what is meant by:
- Don't be a dick or a troll, but be a D.I.C.
- supersloth is a Saint.
I assume because I am a newbie. (Although I did see a section about trolling on the TOS page.)

So I guess I would ask, Would it be possible to have a page that explains the basics to newbies that come to the site, so that we know how things work. The rules are helpful if you can find them, but, like a said, I would (probably) never have found them. It would be nice if on the main page there were some sort of link that said something like, “If you’re a newbie and want to know how it all works, click here!” That would help dummies like me and, I would think, would save you folks having to answer so many “dumb” questions like mine.

Thanks,
Ward
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• NeoTifa Codebreaker, the Scourge of Devtester
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 November 2010 - 02:40 PM

Those two rules you don't understand was in fact a troll. Lol. supersloth is by NO means a saint (quite the opposite really). A troll is someone (or the act thereof) of saying things on the internet that are blatently wrong or hurtful for the purpose of deceit, cruel humor, or starting fights. SpectateSwamp is a perfect example of a troll: he goes in the Corner Cubicle and argues about how his shitty spaghetti code is better than "us C-loving newfags" and says we're all dumb and such. That was a troll. In fact, this is a troll too, as I am saying this to see who catches that I clearly insulted another member for purposes of being rude and starting shit. :D

Also, I've encountered code tags in a lot of forums, which aren't even programming related.

This post has been edited by NeoTifa: 22 November 2010 - 02:40 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1