12 Replies - 4203 Views - Last Post: 25 November 2010 - 06:29 AM

#1 Mark A   User is offline

  • New D.I.C Head

Reputation: 0
  • View blog
  • Posts: 17
  • Joined: 21-November 10

I want a programer to build a site similar to Vimeo, want advise first

Posted 21 November 2010 - 02:40 PM

Can anyone offer any advise?

Im not a webmaster or programer, but i have an idea that i would like to execute.
I plan to find a programer to build my site idea, but before starting to find a programer i want a better understanding of what is involved and required.

The website idea is similar to Vimeo.com, but amateur / independent film producers can upload their own short films for sale.

The site would need 3 different parts.

1. Main site for surfers to browse and buy uploaded films.
2. Admin area for producers to add and manage their films, view sales. (database)
3. Main admin for me to manage, check sales of site, approve and manage producers films. (database)

My questions are:

1. How would a site of this nature be best built: HTML, PHP, CSS, ect...

2. Can anyone recommend a good hosting company that would be suitable for such hosting, dedicated server?

3. I want to design all the pages myself in photoshop, and design images of how the site and both admins should operate,
but what sort of price range should i be looking at paying a developer to build this project for me?
I am looking for a programer who can take my design and finish the project including integrating the payment gateway.


I will be grateful for any advise.

Thanks
Mark

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: I want a programer to build a site similar to Vimeo, want advise first

#2 BetaWar   User is online

  • #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

Reputation: 1513
  • View blog
  • Posts: 8,295
  • Joined: 07-September 06

Re: I want a programer to build a site similar to Vimeo, want advise first

Posted 21 November 2010 - 03:42 PM

1. A site like this will likely use the following technologies:
HTML, CSS, PHP, mySQL, Javascript, and Flash
HTML is the main markup langauge for web pages so this will be a requirement
Javascript will make it more interactive while maintaining cross-platform capabilities (like working on i* devices - which Apple doesn't allow flash to run on)
PHP will be for the server-side, though you could use aany other server-side language here, PHP is just one of the most common
mySQL will be the database software you will be using. It comes free with most web hosting companies and is fairly common./ You coould use something more powerful, but that will cost and isn't needed while starting out (and likely never will be a requirement)
CSS to style the site
Flash for viewing the videos in a nice interface. In theory you could use HTML 5 for this, but w3 says it isn't done yet, and most browsers don't support it very well (in fack no IE browsers until IE 9 (which is a beta) suppoort it at all), so using it at this point isn't a great idea.

2. For something like this you will indeed want a dedicated server, which I have no experience with. I normally use bluehost.com, however they will cut you off it you are slowing other sites on the box (somethign that is likely to happen if you are streaming a lot of videos).

3. Well, luckily for you a LOT of money goes into paying someone to create a website skin (or layout) for you (upwards of $100, I have seen skins sell for around $1000 to $2000 depending on what they entail). That being said having someone cut and code it for you doesn't cost as much. However, a project like this will likely be pay by the hour, and I would say it will take approximately 150 hours to code, test, and debug. If you agreed upon $10/hour that comes out to around $1500. However, that is just my estimate, and that also assumes that the person you are hiring is using a framework, etc. that they are comfortable with. It could take significantly longer.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

#3 Mark A   User is offline

  • New D.I.C Head

Reputation: 0
  • View blog
  • Posts: 17
  • Joined: 21-November 10

Re: I want a programer to build a site similar to Vimeo, want advise first

Posted 21 November 2010 - 03:53 PM

Thanks BetaWar!

Really helpful.

So the databases wouldn't need to be custom built. and could be made with mySQL that is included with hosting package.

I have various bits and bobs that might be complicate the job. I want it that the site will automatically detect and list each of the films:
Resolution
Bitrate
Duration
format
Price (according to duration)

Would that come under the PHP side?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 Atli   User is offline

  • Enhance Your Calm
  • member icon

Reputation: 4240
  • View blog
  • Posts: 7,216
  • Joined: 08-June 10

Re: I want a programer to build a site similar to Vimeo, want advise first

Posted 21 November 2010 - 05:24 PM

View PostMark A, on 21 November 2010 - 10:53 PM, said:

I have various bits and bobs that might be complicate the job. I want it that the site will automatically detect and list each of the films:
Resolution
Bitrate
Duration
format
Price (according to duration)

Would that come under the PHP side?

You could use ffmpeg to detect all of those. You can use PHP on the server-side to execute the ffmpeg commands and parse the results.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#5 Mark A   User is offline

  • New D.I.C Head

Reputation: 0
  • View blog
  • Posts: 17
  • Joined: 21-November 10

Re: I want a programer to build a site similar to Vimeo, want advise first

Posted 21 November 2010 - 05:26 PM

View PostAtli, on 21 November 2010 - 04:24 PM, said:

View PostMark A, on 21 November 2010 - 10:53 PM, said:

I have various bits and bobs that might be complicate the job. I want it that the site will automatically detect and list each of the films:
Resolution
Bitrate
Duration
format
Price (according to duration)

Would that come under the PHP side?

You could use ffmpeg to detect all of those. You can use PHP on the server-side to execute the ffmpeg commands and parse the results.



Thanks Atli,

I've used that in the past for something, but can't remember what.
Im already making plans to take the next step now.

All the best
Mark
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 drhowarddrfine   User is offline

  • D.I.C Regular

Reputation: 39
  • View blog
  • Posts: 275
  • Joined: 28-July 10

Re: I want a programer to build a site similar to Vimeo, want advise first

Posted 21 November 2010 - 05:48 PM

View PostMark A, on 21 November 2010 - 02:40 PM, said:

My questions are:

1. How would a site of this nature be best built: HTML, PHP, CSS, ect...
Should be discussed with your programmer.

Quote

2. Can anyone recommend a good hosting company that would be suitable for such hosting, dedicated server?
should be discussed with your programmer.

Quote

3. I want to design all the pages myself in photoshop, and design images of how the site and both admins should operate,
but what sort of price range should i be looking at paying a developer to build this project for me?
I'll do it for $120,000. I'm serious. I've done it before but I'm letting you off cheap cause you'll do the graphics.

But I won't take the job. You are trying to dictate things you have no knowledge of. The tail is trying to wag the dog. Hire someone who you can do that to. Not me.

This post has been edited by drhowarddrfine: 21 November 2010 - 05:50 PM

Was This Post Helpful? -1
  • +
  • -

#7 Lemur   User is offline

  • Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon


Reputation: 1439
  • View blog
  • Posts: 3,609
  • Joined: 28-November 09

Re: I want a programer to build a site similar to Vimeo, want advise first

Posted 21 November 2010 - 10:24 PM

Granted he may be overstepping, perhaps it would be better to address how he can be a better client instead of bluntly insulting him. Honestly I would appreciate if more clients had respect enough to learn jargon and the basics of what they need to have done, but if it gets to the point of them assuming professionalism then I would have to agree it is ridiculous.

Really the best thing you can do at this stage is to get an idea of what you would need for a base construction (which you are now), the price range (which you also asked), and basically what you have up to this point.

It's rather difficult to discuss anything with a programmer when the programmer would have to lecture you on basics when you can do something to this nature to at least have a general idea of what needs to be done.

Realistically though ~100k would be the price range of such a large scale site, and even that would be considered to be fairly cheap. Unless you have some serious professional venture these ideas are best left up to corporations and people with substantial monetary backing. Banks aren't all too fond of the "I'm going to create the next facebook!" line.

While Drhoward is a tad blunt about it he does have a point, but at the same time he could phrase it slightly better.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#8 husseycoding   User is offline

  • D.I.C Head
  • member icon

Reputation: 52
  • View blog
  • Posts: 174
  • Joined: 23-June 10

Re: I want a programer to build a site similar to Vimeo, want advise first

Posted 22 November 2010 - 02:24 AM

Hi Mark A,

This is a pretty large job you have here, and there are a multitude of ways you could do something like this. My suggestion to you would be, if you are serious about this, then approach companies that can develop this site for you and preferably have a track record, and just ask for a quote, also ask them for a detailed breakdown of there workflow with milestones - they will be happy to answer any specific questions about the information they give you. They aren't going to expect you to be able to tell them how to do it, that's there job and if they have a problem with providing you with detailed information on how they would approach the job then alarm bells should already be ringing. Also as long as you go with someone who is reputable, they are not going to lead you down the garden path just because you don't know every technical detail about what is required so you don't need to worry about that either.

You should also consider the use of prebuilt ecommerce/cart software such as Magento - as it stands this particular package does not cater for user uploads although it can be highly customised so I wouldn't be surprised if there was a plugin for this. This will get the infrastructure done for you from the outset, and it will certainly work out a lot cheaper compared to building something like this from the ground up. Magento Community Edition is also free which is a bonus.

Price wise I would say development costs for setting something like this up, using a framework such as Magento you are probably looking at a minimum of £1500-£2000 (not including any plugins), with a price for building from scratch being many times more.

If Magento sounds like something you would like to consider then I can give you some more detail on how you might be able to build your project using it.

This post has been edited by husseycoding: 22 November 2010 - 02:26 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#9 Mark A   User is offline

  • New D.I.C Head

Reputation: 0
  • View blog
  • Posts: 17
  • Joined: 21-November 10

Re: I want a programer to build a site similar to Vimeo, want advise first

Posted 22 November 2010 - 05:39 AM

View Postdrhowarddrfine, on 21 November 2010 - 04:48 PM, said:

View PostMark A, on 21 November 2010 - 02:40 PM, said:

My questions are:

1. How would a site of this nature be best built: HTML, PHP, CSS, ect...
Should be discussed with your programmer.

Quote

2. Can anyone recommend a good hosting company that would be suitable for such hosting, dedicated server?
should be discussed with your programmer.

Quote

3. I want to design all the pages myself in photoshop, and design images of how the site and both admins should operate,
but what sort of price range should i be looking at paying a developer to build this project for me?
I'll do it for $120,000. I'm serious. I've done it before but I'm letting you off cheap cause you'll do the graphics.

But I won't take the job. You are trying to dictate things you have no knowledge of. The tail is trying to wag the dog. Hire someone who you can do that to. Not me.



Im not trying to dictate anything.

Simply stating what i want the project to do.

Im the first one to hold my hands up and admit i have no knowledge of this, that's why im asking for advise here.

Thanks
Mark

View PostLemur, on 21 November 2010 - 09:24 PM, said:

Granted he may be overstepping, perhaps it would be better to address how he can be a better client instead of bluntly insulting him. Honestly I would appreciate if more clients had respect enough to learn jargon and the basics of what they need to have done, but if it gets to the point of them assuming professionalism then I would have to agree it is ridiculous.

Really the best thing you can do at this stage is to get an idea of what you would need for a base construction (which you are now), the price range (which you also asked), and basically what you have up to this point.

It's rather difficult to discuss anything with a programmer when the programmer would have to lecture you on basics when you can do something to this nature to at least have a general idea of what needs to be done.

Realistically though ~100k would be the price range of such a large scale site, and even that would be considered to be fairly cheap. Unless you have some serious professional venture these ideas are best left up to corporations and people with substantial monetary backing. Banks aren't all too fond of the "I'm going to create the next facebook!" line.

While Drhoward is a tad blunt about it he does have a point, but at the same time he could phrase it slightly better.



Thanks for your advise,

This is not something i would be taking a loan out for.
I have a budget in mind and if it can't be done for that i will probably leave it alone.

I've posted the same thread on a few developer forums and the estimates people have suggested are very diverse.

Thanks
Mark
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#10 Mark A   User is offline

  • New D.I.C Head

Reputation: 0
  • View blog
  • Posts: 17
  • Joined: 21-November 10

Re: I want a programer to build a site similar to Vimeo, want advise first

Posted 22 November 2010 - 05:47 AM

View Posthusseycoding, on 22 November 2010 - 01:24 AM, said:

Hi Mark A,

This is a pretty large job you have here, and there are a multitude of ways you could do something like this. My suggestion to you would be, if you are serious about this, then approach companies that can develop this site for you and preferably have a track record, and just ask for a quote, also ask them for a detailed breakdown of there workflow with milestones - they will be happy to answer any specific questions about the information they give you. They aren't going to expect you to be able to tell them how to do it, that's there job and if they have a problem with providing you with detailed information on how they would approach the job then alarm bells should already be ringing. Also as long as you go with someone who is reputable, they are not going to lead you down the garden path just because you don't know every technical detail about what is required so you don't need to worry about that either.

You should also consider the use of prebuilt ecommerce/cart software such as Magento - as it stands this particular package does not cater for user uploads although it can be highly customised so I wouldn't be surprised if there was a plugin for this. This will get the infrastructure done for you from the outset, and it will certainly work out a lot cheaper compared to building something like this from the ground up. Magento Community Edition is also free which is a bonus.

Price wise I would say development costs for setting something like this up, using a framework such as Magento you are probably looking at a minimum of 1500-2000 (not including any plugins), with a price for building from scratch being many times more.

If Magento sounds like something you would like to consider then I can give you some more detail on how you might be able to build your project using it.



Thanks Husseycoding,

I'll look into Magento, would this also offer the payment gateway? I have been searching info on this too, seems pretty hard to get a direct merchant unless the site is already generating huge monthly sales.
I need a payment processor that can handle small fee's from $2.99, non recurring. So basically to sell downloads as tangibles.

Thanks again
Mark
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#11 husseycoding   User is offline

  • D.I.C Head
  • member icon

Reputation: 52
  • View blog
  • Posts: 174
  • Joined: 23-June 10

Re: I want a programer to build a site similar to Vimeo, want advise first

Posted 23 November 2010 - 05:02 AM

Hi Mark,

Sure, I think it would be worth your while looking at it to see if it meets your requirements. Downloadable products are supported out of the box and as are a number of different payment methods including amongst others credit card, sagepay, google checkout and paypal.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#12 Mark A   User is offline

  • New D.I.C Head

Reputation: 0
  • View blog
  • Posts: 17
  • Joined: 21-November 10

Re: I want a programer to build a site similar to Vimeo, want advise first

Posted 23 November 2010 - 05:13 AM

View Posthusseycoding, on 23 November 2010 - 04:02 AM, said:

Hi Mark,

Sure, I think it would be worth your while looking at it to see if it meets your requirements. Downloadable products are supported out of the box and as are a number of different payment methods including amongst others credit card, sagepay, google checkout and paypal.



Thanks again,

Im saving these threads, and might contact you once i have all the design ready.

Thanks
Mark
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#13 husseycoding   User is offline

  • D.I.C Head
  • member icon

Reputation: 52
  • View blog
  • Posts: 174
  • Joined: 23-June 10

Re: I want a programer to build a site similar to Vimeo, want advise first

Posted 25 November 2010 - 06:29 AM

No problems, please feel free to do that.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1