3 Replies - 2564 Views - Last Post: 27 November 2010 - 05:54 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Developing an Exam in VB 2008 or 2010

Posted 27 November 2010 - 07:52 AM

Hi folks, I hope I am posting this in the right place.

I have VB 2008 Express, and I just installed Visual Studio 2010 Professional

First off, this is not for a class. Although I *AM* taking VB classes, I wanted to do something on my own that would help me learn. I find that the examples and assignments in class, are okay, but I would like to do something that I could apply in real life, perhaps apply it to my own work and master many techniques. So this could actually become my own final exam :smartass:

That being said, I have searched and read all the posts on quizzes and tests and they are usually asking for code answers. No from the beginning development and planning. I am sure eventually, I might ask some code questions, but I would like to start at the beginning and analyze, develop the algorithm/ flow chart, and desk-check first.

I would also like to develop the best way to pull this together. ie use a question database (txt, access, excel) vs. hard coding, encryption schemes, etc...

With that being said, here are the basics of what I want to do. In no particular order.

• Develop a controlled test/ exam. Security of it is important.
  • An administrator has to unlock the exam in order to start it.
  • I have a 75 question multiple guess/ true false exam. At this time I am not worried about rotating questions.
  • Testers should be able to review and change answers before submitting for score.
  • Questions/Answers do not change (at least for now)
  • Questions should appear one at a time, rather than one long list.
  • A person only needs an 80% (no more than 15 missed questions) to pass
  • If I pull questions from a database, it needs to be secure. ie. Someone just can't go into the text/dB and read off it.
  • I would like to have the person enter their name at the start of the test and the test date, so their results can be written to a database, eventually this database could be used to print a certificate of completion/passing. (ie. a merge to Word)

Okay I think that is about it. At this point I would like get some input as to what direction I should go, so I can flow-chart it and then move along.

Again, I am not looking for code, but direction.

Thanks
Pumbaa

This post has been edited by pumbaa: 27 November 2010 - 07:55 AM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Developing an Exam in VB 2008 or 2010

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Developing an Exam in VB 2008 or 2010

Posted 27 November 2010 - 10:47 AM

Start with basics.

Design your ui -> Design your test engine (Do you want it to focus on the subject matter people get wrong?) ->
Design your database -> Go from there. That's lots of work already.

Also. I think you should Adopt a Client/Server role. That way, the client has next to no data, and you do not run the risk of someone stealing your app, decompiling it, and have a ton to gain from it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pugnacious Penguin (inspired by no2pencil)
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 November 2010 - 12:58 PM

Develop a controlled test/ exam. Security of it is important.
What you need to do:
-Clear the clipboard on startup
-Kill explorer.exe (there will be no start menu/taskbar)
-Set form to maximized, set form to TopMost
-Set form BorderStyle to none
-If you're feeling really security concious, disable task manager (pm me for the code)
-Restart explorer at the end of the test & re-enable task manager

An administrator has to unlock the exam in order to start it.
What you need to do
-Create a loginform
-Hard code the user credentials into your program (not secure, someone could use a program like .NET reflector to get theses credentials) or use an encryped registry key/text file (more secure)
-If the administrator gets the password right then start the test, otherwise quit

Stuff that is up to you how you want to program it:
I have a 75 question multiple guess/ true false exam. At this time I am not worried about rotating questions.
Testers should be able to review and change answers before submitting for score.
Questions/Answers do not change (at least for now)
Questions should appear one at a time, rather than one long list.

A person only needs an 80% (no more than 15 missed questions) to pass
What you need to do:
Some basic math functions should be able to help you here.

If I pull questions from a database, it needs to be secure. ie. Someone just can't go into the text/dB and read off it.
I would like to have the person enter their name at the start of the test and the test date, so their results can be written to a database, eventually this database could be used to print a certificate of completion/passing. (ie. a merge to Word)
What you need to do:
Well I'm not an expert on databases, so I'd reccomend that you ask someone else about that kind of thing. Alternatively you could pull down questions/user credentials from an encryped text file on a networked hard drive. Microsoft Word manipulation is hard in VB without expensive custom controls.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Android Expert
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 November 2010 - 05:54 PM

About the "login" and "question in database"
Lets start of with the "question in database"
I would do the security in two ways at once:
encrypt the questions before adding them to the database(PM me for the code)
and the password protect the database(that will encrypt all the data once again.)

And now about the "login".
Well, i got a login function that's working good.
I would give you the code, but I'm not sure how you should adapt it
to fit your program. Because, when i built that function i did it along
with developing the main program, so there might be some stuff you would need
to change and look in to.
I would love to help you as much as i can :)

This post has been edited by EndLessMind: 27 November 2010 - 05:55 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1