High Schooler Looking to make a Chess Server

I need to know how to make a chess server for my chess club.

Page 1 of 1

2 Replies - 2846 Views - Last Post: 31 October 2006 - 01:37 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

High Schooler Looking to make a Chess Server

Post icon  Posted 31 October 2006 - 01:20 PM

Hello. I have a chess club that I am making and I need to know how to make a chess server. I have a site and someone who is willing to put it up on the site for me. All I need to know is how to make it. Thanks for reading this!

~smartboyathome~
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: High Schooler Looking to make a Chess Server

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: High Schooler Looking to make a Chess Server

Posted 31 October 2006 - 01:27 PM

View Postsmartboyathome, on 31 Oct, 2006 - 01:20 PM, said:

Hello. I have a chess club that I am making and I need to know how to make a chess server. I have a site and someone who is willing to put it up on the site for me. All I need to know is how to make it. Thanks for reading this!

Wow, this is definitely not a one liner. My company has a pet project called TurnPlay that is exactly what you're looking for. Unfortunately, to get to where it is today (in a state of perpetual beta as we add more games), it's taken quite a while. In fact, while the frontend is PHP, there is a MySQL backed and runs on a C executable. A chess server is not a small order. You probably ought to start by learning C and then work your way up from there. If you're familiar with PHP, it shouldn't be much harder after that.

rockstar_
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: High Schooler Looking to make a Chess Server

Posted 31 October 2006 - 01:37 PM

View Postrockstar_, on 31 Oct, 2006 - 01:27 PM, said:

View Postsmartboyathome, on 31 Oct, 2006 - 01:20 PM, said:

Wow, this is definitely not a one liner. My company has a pet project called TurnPlay that is exactly what you're looking for. Unfortunately, to get to where it is today (in a state of perpetual beta as we add more games), it's taken quite a while. In fact, while the frontend is PHP, there is a MySQL backed and runs on a C executable. A chess server is not a small order. You probably ought to start by learning C and then work your way up from there. If you're familiar with PHP, it shouldn't be much harder after that.

rockstar_

The chess server is going to run through WinBoard, so I will not need to make a program for it. What will I have to learn in order to make it?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1