5 Replies - 3835 Views - Last Post: 16 December 2010 - 01:35 PM

• Can grep dead trees!
  • member icon

• View blog

Monitor Orientation

Posted 16 December 2010 - 02:30 AM

Lately have have really been irritated by the lack of vertical real-estate when looking at code. Sure I could choose a smaller font but my eyes are already going bad.

SO I have been thinking about changing the orientation of my secondary monitor (or a tertiary if my GF is not watching too closely). Does anyone have any experience with this?

I think the biggest challenge would just be mounting it. The manufacturers don't seem to have thought of this when they build the stands... then again I would imagine that the monitor gets top heavy at that angle... I guess I would need one of those neat mounts they have in the cubicals.

Maybe I will just get over it. But right now at 3:30am it sounds like just what I need.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Monitor Orientation

• binary decision maker
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Monitor Orientation

Posted 16 December 2010 - 02:40 AM

Whoa there boy. Standard LCD monitors (I'm guessing this is what you have) have really shitty vertical viewing angles. If you turn it 90 degrees it'll probably look awful if you move your head by more than a few inches. Try propping it up before you build a stand :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 16 December 2010 - 06:19 AM

You could go back to the old non-widescreen monitors, 20 inch 1600x1200 res monitors start around 400, you could go lower res, but if you're used to hi-def I wouldn't recommend it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 December 2010 - 07:38 AM

moopet brings up an excellent reason to be concerned. Check with your monitor before doing it to make sure that it's readable.

They also make monitors with stands specifically designed for doing this. Some of the designers were even smart enough to extend the vertical viewing angle so that it looks good (but not all, so check before you buy).

One of my friends does this when he's writing code, he loves the increased vertical real estate. I've personally always wanted to do this when I'm playing videogames (namely arcade style vertical shooters, Ikaruga is actually designed specifically for this). But I write code on a 2560x1600 screen, I have plenty of vertical real-estate on that.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Xamarin Cert. Dev.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 December 2010 - 12:54 PM

I have some experience with using multiple monitors in vertical orientation for Visual Studio.

Attached Image

While moopet is correct about a more limited viewing angle when vertical, the reality of using it is that you won't be placing it way off to the side because you have no desire to have your neck cracked to the right all day. In reality you are going to find an ergonomically pleasing place for it. In other words if you are typing code on it all day then you are going to have it straight in front of you anyway. So you shouldn't run into a viewing angle problem.

Personally I'm a fan of the Dell 24" widescreens (2405, 2407, 2410 etc.). I have mine running 1920x1200. And two at 1200x1920 obviously.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Can grep dead trees!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 December 2010 - 01:35 PM

View PosttlhIn, on 16 December 2010 - 02:54 PM, said:

I have some experience with using multiple monitors in vertical orientation for Visual Studio.

Attachment Monitors.jpg

While moopet is correct about a more limited viewing angle when vertical, the reality of using it is that you won't be placing it way off to the side because you have no desire to have your neck cracked to the right all day. In reality you are going to find an ergonomically pleasing place for it. In other words if you are typing code on it all day then you are going to have it straight in front of you anyway. So you shouldn't run into a viewing angle problem.

Personally I'm a fan of the Dell 24" widescreens (2405, 2407, 2410 etc.). I have mine running 1920x1200. And two at 1200x1920 obviously.

Awesome setup. I see you found a practical use for the older "Professional Visual C++ 6" books :)

I didn't think about the vertical viewing angle but as you said I think the monitor would be right in front.

So is the new angle actually beneficial or does it not really change anything?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1