5 Replies - 30263 Views - Last Post: 27 December 2010 - 06:59 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Is Java good for Game Development?

Posted 26 December 2010 - 09:02 AM

As the title states, I want to know if Java is a good programming language for video game development. I am knee deep in it and want to know if I should switch to a different language..

I've heard that C++ is widely used, but if I master java what are the chances of me being able to find a job at a game development company?

~Thanks in advanced Anime Angie~
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Is Java good for Game Development?

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Is Java good for Game Development?

Posted 26 December 2010 - 09:17 AM

of course you can develop games with Java there are some made with it. but like you said c++ is used more often so you got more chances at a company when you know c++. of course you also got chances by just knowing java. i programmed with c++ at home and this year at school we learn java. so as i know both languages i can tell you that there isn't much difference between them. it should be possible to learn the basics of c++ in one day.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Planeswalker
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 December 2010 - 09:23 AM

Java isn't a mainstream language when it comes to commercial game development. Most companies use a mixture of C/C++ and ASM with their in house game engine. Java is definitely able to make games though and it is what I've been looking at for making a browser based game. I would suggest sticking with Java for now. Try your best to master it. You can learn a lot of programming concepts while you are working with Java that will carry over to any other language you pick up. Once you've mastered Java then move to C++. The syntax will look familiar but their will be a differences.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 27 December 2010 - 06:00 PM

Java is a good language to learn your object orientation that is used extensively in C++ for professional game development. The reason why C++ is used over Java is the fact that we can get much closer to the hardware for optimization purposes as well as implementing new features and capabilities. With Java you have the bytecode and JVM tag team that adds an extra layer to execution and makes things less efficient.

My personal advice is that once you are comfortable with Java you should transfer your skills to C++ if you want any hope of getting into the games industry. All programming tests will be given to you in C++, some testing your understanding of algorithms, others testing your very intimate knowledge of the C++ language itself, and others testing your knowledge of implementing the various components of a game engine. Also, when entering the industry as a programmer it is normal to have a game demo written in C++, and any game you write will expose your C++ knowledge.

As a sideline, when I started out in games I was working with another programmer very well versed in Java but not C++ - he ended up being moved away from engine tech to more scripting-based duties. I also found that it was left to me to explain a lot about C++ which they didn't know; they were still great programmers none-the-less, but they really needed to know C++ well.

Anyway, eventually give C++ priority as even those who write Java games know C++ exceptionally well. And C++ knowledge certainly takes priority! :)
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

#5 macosxnerd101   User is online

• Games, Graphs, and Auctions
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 December 2010 - 06:11 PM

Java is a viable game programming option, but the practices are different with Java in comparison to C++ in certain aspects, like concurrency. In Java, Threads aren't heavily relied upon. Instead, a more event-driven model is used. For example, Swing Timer is used often times to control updates. So each time the Timer fires an event, the progress is updated, and a refresh (repaint()) occurs. There are some other nuances as well. But the skillset transfers over well if you are good at what you do.

If you want to check out some Game Programming tutorials, go to the Java Resource thread pinned in the Java forum. It links to the Java Game Programming thread.
Was This Post Helpful? 4
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 December 2010 - 06:59 PM

Well, I was teaching myself C++ for a while and I had trouble with it which is what i switched to Java..

I'll take u guyses advice and go back soon. Thanks :D

~Anime Angie~
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1