1 Replies - 1305 Views - Last Post: 01 January 2011 - 07:27 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Getting Started with Android

Posted 30 December 2010 - 02:52 AM

Thanks for the links to some great resources. Here's my dilema. I've read tons of guides, tutorials, forum threads, and pretty much everything I can get my hands on regarding programming java and android. I have experience programming in C++ and VB but none in java. I was able to successfully and fairly quickly program a usable app with Google's AppInventor tool which means I understand the logic of the apps. Where I get stuck is the syntax. Just when I think I'm getting my head around it I type in a segment of code and am faced with the dreaded syntax error indicators and the more I try to resolve the errors the worse it gets. I think my biggest issue is that I'm a hands-on learner and as such reading books doesn't do me a whole lot of good. I equate it to trying to ride a bike for the first time after reading a few books on it.

What would be great is if at the end of each chapter of a book it gave you partial code to an app and the reader has to fill in the missing code to complete the app and, of course, the resources you need to solve it would be in that chapter.

Where do you recommend I start to be able to get my head around the syntax? Should I read more java books first or can I start with android books and still be able to pick it up? I think the only real differences between the two is the API and the classes that I would import.

I read Unlocking Android http://www.manning.com/ableson/ but I've had problems with the code examples not working. I'm not sure if that's because it's for SDK 1.x and we're up to 2.x or what the issue is but even copying the code from the book verbatim I still end up with syntax errors.

Thanks again.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Getting Started with Android

• Android Expert
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Getting Started with Android

Posted 01 January 2011 - 07:27 PM

You should probably take a look here and get familiar with java in general. Also if your having trouble understanding how and why pieces of android code work fill free to post it here and I will be glad to explain it to you :D.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1