C++ IDE Recommendations

C++ software recommendations.

Page 1 of 1

12 Replies - 12443 Views - Last Post: 06 January 2011 - 07:30 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

C++ IDE Recommendations

Posted 05 January 2011 - 06:15 AM

hey again, thanks for the last tip.

umm, Which software or IDE is best for c++. do you guys know of a good, virus-free IDE/compiler because i was using dev - c++ and my virus protector picked up a virus with it. i Got it from the official site but it was still corrupted.

Any help?
Thanks again.
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: C++ IDE Recommendations

• Saucy!
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: C++ IDE Recommendations

Posted 05 January 2011 - 06:25 AM

Please don't use topic titles like "Question". We KNOW you have a question! Did you try searching the forum? Do you have ANY idea how often this is asked?

From the List of C++ Resources topic linked to from our C++ FAQs topic pinned at the top of the forum.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Born again Pastafarian.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 January 2011 - 06:57 AM

Visual C++ 2010 is what I use more any substantial projects I'm working on, the Express version is free too. I think you will get a fair few people recommending the same thing.

Download VC++ Express
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 January 2011 - 07:37 AM

if you can afford Visual C++, you should use it.I heard it's preety good.
In any other case, use CodeBlocks...it's really good(at least for me it works)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 January 2011 - 10:09 AM

I use a number of IDEs MS Visual Studio, NetBeans, Eclipse, CodeBlocks, etc.
I try to avoid Visual Studio as it ties one to Microsoft platforms and APIs.
CodeBlocks is good, free, platform independent (you can use it on Windows, Linus, iMacs, etc) and is simple to use. In particular, if you are working on a program that is in single file you don't need to create a project. You just type in the file and hit compile and run.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 05 January 2011 - 09:37 PM

I mostly use Visual Studio but on occasion I've switched out to Dev-C++ for a handful of reasons. I'm not sure why your virus scanner would flag it as dangerous, I've never had a problem with anything from them and I used to use Dev-C++ and Dev-Pascal quite a bit. Are you sure it wasn't just the auto-update feature or maybe an error-reporting feature that got flagged?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 05 January 2011 - 10:09 PM

I enjoy code blocks personally.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 January 2011 - 10:18 PM

I personally don't recommend compilers that have several languages included with it (Eclipse, NetBeans, etc). With me, I was doing some C++ in NetBeans, and it often confused it with Ruby(because I mainly used NetBeans for Ruby). When I started C++ I used Dev-C++, and it had no viruses with it. But if you are ready to move on to a better IDE, I recommend Code::Blocks. It's better than Dev-C++ in the sense that it has more syntax highlighting, is still supported, and has numerable libraries waiting to be downloaded (from inside the plug-in/add feature/whatever option). If you are ready to make a GUI (Graphical User Interface) for your project, then you can switch over to Microsoft Visual C++ (presuming your on Windows). There, you can start developing .NET apps. But with MVC++, you can still do normal console development.

# All IDEs mentioned here are all free of charge. MVC++ does ask you to register within 30 days for free with a *@hotmail/live.com account.

This post has been edited by heyoman1: 05 January 2011 - 10:20 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 05 January 2011 - 11:47 PM

99% of what I code is compiled in Code::Blocks. It's nice since I dual boot my desktop with XP and OpenSuSE and can use a familiar IDE with both OS's.

For C++ I also keep Qt Creator (still learning, so I might use it more in the future) and VS2010 Pro (if you're a student, you can download it from DreamSpark for free) on my computer.

Don't be afraid to use an IDE that supports multiple languages - even Code::Blocks can be used to develop and compile languages besides C or C++. And don't be afraid to use several IDE's, it won't hurt to be familiar with more than one.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• code > sword
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 January 2011 - 04:38 AM

View PostPatrunjel, on 05 January 2011 - 11:37 PM, said:

if you can afford Visual C++, you should use it.

The Express edition is free so it is hard to imagine anyone who can't afford it, given it is, after all, free.
http://www.microsoft...xpress/Windows/
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#11 Guest_luke*

Posted 06 January 2011 - 04:51 AM

wow, thanks guys.
i used all your help and all of you gave great recommendations and advice.
thanks
Was This Post Helpful? 0

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 06 January 2011 - 05:06 AM

View Postjanotte, on 06 January 2011 - 10:38 AM, said:

The Express edition is free so it is hard to imagine anyone who can't afford it, given it is, after all, free.

My only complaint about the newer Visual Studios is they feel a bit sluggish. Mind you, my computers a bit dated with a gig of RAM and a dual-core 2.4ghz Intel, but still. I LOVE Visual Studio 6.0 but it's debugger isn't quite as good as the newer ones and it has some serious issues with templates and debugging them in 6.0 is a bit of a nightmare.

Ah well, one day maybe they'll get the balance right between speed and efficiency.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 06 January 2011 - 07:30 AM

View Poststevo86, on 06 January 2011 - 04:06 AM, said:

View Postjanotte, on 06 January 2011 - 10:38 AM, said:

My only complaint about the newer Visual Studios is they feel a bit sluggish. Mind you, my computers a bit dated with a gig of RAM and a dual-core 2.4ghz Intel, but still. I LOVE Visual Studio 6.0 but it's debugger isn't quite as good as the newer ones and it has some serious issues with templates and debugging them in 6.0 is a bit of a nightmare.

Ah well, one day maybe they'll get the balance right between speed and efficiency.

Whether or not your for or against Microsoft, their IDE is quite nice. And it's build in intellisense is quite helpful. Netbeans is also a great IDE, and has many other languages that can be used. I first used it for a Java and just tried it's functionality on c++. (tho it does not have a built in compiler, you have to install that on you own. I chose Cygwin, and the instruction for that can be found here and has it's version of intellisense.) Both really nice IDEs, and widely used from what I have found.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1