8 Replies - 1263 Views - Last Post: 12 January 2011 - 02:32 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Looking for book or tutorial about matrices

Posted 12 January 2011 - 01:06 PM

Hello Forum readers, I am currently working on creating my own 3d engine in c# windows application. I want it to be simple, create simple camera and engine to convert 3d points in 2d screen according to camera position, view and up vector. I only got basic knowledge about matrices and I would like you to give me tutorials or books to read that might help me understand the basics of matrices better and guide me in writing my 3d engine.
Thanks in advance
Supraspinatus

This post has been edited by Supraspinatus: 12 January 2011 - 01:07 PM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Looking for book or tutorial about matrices

• XNArchitect
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Looking for book or tutorial about matrices

Posted 12 January 2011 - 01:12 PM

I'd suggest checking out XNA. The XNA framework is built on the C# language, and there are an abundance of tutorials online for handling cameras already. Basically, you just need a View Matrix, and a Projection Matrix. Some translations and transformations, and it's really pretty simple once you get the hang of it. Here's a really good tutorial for doing it in XNA with a first person camera. http://www.3dgamepro...-person-camera/
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 January 2011 - 01:14 PM

I think that you should perhaps look in Dream In Codes C# Tutorial section for any tutorials here or some code snippets of what your looking for.

But never forget Google Is a very good resource for finding other tutorials and books on the web ^^

As above said too, XNA would be very good for this sort of thing, If your a student you can some premium aspects for free on MS Dreamspark

This post has been edited by Fungle: 12 January 2011 - 01:16 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 January 2011 - 01:22 PM

simple, basic, easy

projection matrix

funny...

Linear Algebra. Get any text book on the subject, read it cover to cover, do all the problems, and test yourself.

The projection matrix (the matrix you use to convert 3d points in your gameworld to 2d points on screen) takes advantage of nearly all the information you'll learn from reading about Linear Algebra. They aren't introductory type things, they just aren't simple objects. You might be able to get away with less knowledge with say a regular transform matrix (representing position, scale and rotation). Or get away with using a built in projection method (XNA has built in methods and projection algorithms...). But if you want to write your own stuff for projections, learn the subject first... otherwise you're just going to hack and slash your way through it and end up with sub par crap.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 January 2011 - 01:54 PM

For the first commenter, I am now creating a game in xna but this one is a side project I want to do to master my knowledge in matrices and know exactly what and how it's all done.
For the second commenter, My google searches in this category lead me to some wikipedia articles which only cower the basics that I already know. But didn't look in dream code tutorials yet for this subject. I'll surely do so.
For the third commenter, I didn't mention it but I'm only a school student and we only touch the basics in linear algebra which only includes 2d and 3d vectors. That's why I don't happen to have a linear algebra book to fit my needs. And that's what I'm asking in this forum :).
Also I want to know if I need to know anything additional besides linear algebra for my project, maybe learn about camera matrices or something, I don't know. Hope you can direct me to any good materials because my searches failed.
Thanks in advance
Supraspinatus
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 January 2011 - 01:59 PM

I asked this question a while back. Definitely helpful to you.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 January 2011 - 02:02 PM

Thank you sir
Your post has been helpfull!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 January 2011 - 02:11 PM

View PostSupraspinatus, on 12 January 2011 - 12:54 PM, said:

For the third commenter, I didn't mention it but I'm only a school student and we only touch the basics in linear algebra which only includes 2d and 3d vectors. That's why I don't happen to have a linear algebra book to fit my needs. And that's what I'm asking in this forum :).
Also I want to know if I need to know anything additional besides linear algebra for my project, maybe learn about camera matrices or something, I don't know. Hope you can direct me to any good materials because my searches failed.
Thanks in advance
Supraspinatus

If you're just trying for the simple side of it... get into XNA, you don't need to learn all the nitty gritty with it. It takes care of the projection for you, it takes care of the math for you. You might want to start studying Algebra, Trig, Calculus, Linear Algebra, Discrete Math, etc to get a better understanding and make things even easier. But XNA tries to hide most of that stuff from your to make it easier.

Get on amazon, find a good book about XNA, the book will cover matrices enough to get you understanding them enough to get you working in XNA.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 January 2011 - 02:32 PM

View Postlordofduct, on 12 January 2011 - 01:11 PM, said:

View PostSupraspinatus, on 12 January 2011 - 12:54 PM, said:

Thanks in advance
Supraspinatus

If you're just trying for the simple side of it... get into XNA, you don't need to learn all the nitty gritty with it. It takes care of the projection for you, it takes care of the math for you. You might want to start studying Algebra, Trig, Calculus, Linear Algebra, Discrete Math, etc to get a better understanding and make things even easier. But XNA tries to hide most of that stuff from your to make it easier.

Get on amazon, find a good book about XNA, the book will cover matrices enough to get you understanding them enough to get you working in XNA.

please read my comment to the first commenter:
For the first commenter, I am now creating a game in xna but this one is a side project I want to do to master my knowledge in matrices and know exactly what and how it's all done.

just so you know, I'm already advanced xna programmer. XNA is good but there are too many built in functions that I want to learn the basis of. Anywayz I already got my help and downloaded the book "Mathematics for games and interactive applications" and now starting to read it. Oh and by the way you can use the .NET reflector to get the source code of all c# dlls and I got the source code for all xna dlls too and because of my lack of knowledge about most of linear algebra I can't understand it :).

This post has been edited by Supraspinatus: 12 January 2011 - 02:34 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1