1 Replies - 5353 Views - Last Post: 19 January 2011 - 02:07 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

New SQL Server 2008 Developer Install - Can't connect to server

Posted 19 January 2011 - 12:32 AM

I recently installed MS SQL Server 2008 Developer edition on my home PC (Win7 Ultimate 64-bit). I started following the tutorials on how to get it properly set up being as how I'm brand new to SQL Server. Yet I have run into a problem. For whatever reason, I can't connect to the server. I have been at this for hours looking at different sites trying to figure it out. Supposedly, the Server Name should be MSSQLServer; however, when I try this I keep getting an error saying that it can't connect. I've been trying this on the Database Engine. Under the Integration Services tab, it automatically used RYANS-PC as the Server Name and connected immediately. But that name doesn't work for any of the others (database engine, analysis services, reporting services, or sql server compact).

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ryan

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: New SQL Server 2008 Developer Install - Can't connect to server

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: New SQL Server 2008 Developer Install - Can't connect to server

Posted 19 January 2011 - 02:07 AM

If you installed your server as default instance, then you server name is the name of your computer or if you work locally you can use localhost or .(it's a simple dot). If you checked named instance, you have to put the name of the instance as : .\Name or ComputerName\InstanceName.
To check server's configuration, go to Start->all programs-> SQL Server 2008\Configuration Tools\Sql Server Configuration Manager. Under SQl Server Services be sure SqlServer(MSSQLSERVER) (if default instance) and Sql Server Browser services are running.
Another way to check this is through Management studio: click cancel on the login form, from menu -> View-> registered servers (or CTRL+ALT+G) and expand Local Server Groups. There you will see if all your sql servers are up and running.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1