1 Replies - 977 Views - Last Post: 19 January 2011 - 01:16 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

computer science or IT

Posted 19 January 2011 - 07:29 AM

hi, currently i'm taking 2 year course in computer science, the curriculum for the 1st and 2nd year in computer science and IT is the same, I am thinking of continuing my studies, so i was wondering which course is better? computer science or IT?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: computer science or IT

• Awesome
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: computer science or IT

Posted 19 January 2011 - 01:16 PM

We will need more of a background on you to really help you with this.

For now though, we can go with the ever-useful "What are you interested in?" approach. My understanding is that IT is a lot more hardware based whereas Computer Science is the theoretical approach to computing (not just software development). Keep in mind that I could be way off target here.

When I was in the position of declaring a major I wasn't 100% sure of what I wanted to do, and to be honest, I'm still not sure, but I am happy with my choice of Computer Science.

Have you ever tried playing around with the hardware of a computer? What about trying to make a simple program that will solve a homework problem for you? Did you get a thrill out of either of these activities?

One thing I've noticed during my time here at Dream In Code is that there are three types of programmers (11 types of programmers for the binary-literate out there!). There are bad programmers who ought not ever try to program anything because they hate there job as a developer. There are good programmers who do a great job every day, but still hate some of the more boring tasks involved in software development. Then there are great programmers. I am talking about the crazy-eyed mad-scientist types who absolutely love programming. The type of person who programs for 10 hours at work and then goes home and programs until 6 the next morning, leaving themselves with just enough time for a shower and some coffee before heading back to work to do some more programming.

Now if you decide to go with Computer Science, then being a good programmer is awesome, we need more of them. But if you really want to excel in CompSci then you have to have a true passion for what you do and you have to love every minute of it.

I just spent 4 hours going over the first chapter of my programming text for this semester. I was done 3 hours ago, I just wanted to have another look!

I hope that maybe some part of the rambling was useful!

This post has been edited by Jambr: 19 January 2011 - 01:17 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1