• « First

61 Replies - 9916 Views - Last Post: 23 April 2011 - 03:31 AM

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: XNA 3 Week Challenge #1!

Posted 18 March 2011 - 10:52 AM

Hello Writers Block!

I just wanted to mention that you have the cutest avatar that I've ever seen.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 March 2011 - 02:48 AM

Hello :), Any news about the results?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• XNArchitect
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 March 2011 - 11:04 AM

I owe each of you an apology. As I mentioned before, life got really busy at about the time I was supposed to be judging the entries. Since then, I've been so busy working as much overtime as I can possibly take and spending what little free time was left working on my car since it decided to break on me at the same time. I should have some free time later today and will try my best to get the results posted tonight. Once again, I'm very sorry for the delay in this process and I really appreciate you all being very patient with me.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 30 March 2011 - 04:22 PM

View PostKilorn, on 27 March 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

I owe each of you an apology. As I mentioned before, life got really busy at about the time I was supposed to be judging the entries. Since then, I've been so busy working as much overtime as I can possibly take and spending what little free time was left working on my car since it decided to break on me at the same time. I should have some free time later today and will try my best to get the results posted tonight. Once again, I'm very sorry for the delay in this process and I really appreciate you all being very patient with me.

No need to apologize :)
Life can sometimes get really difficult, I really appreciate such contests where people like you waste their time on people like us :D
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• XNArchitect
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 April 2011 - 10:30 AM

POPULAR

Robin19 - The Saga: Honorable Mention

This game was fun, but in order to get it running, I had to comment out a few lines of code that used methods from XNA 3.1. The project would only open in VS2010 with XNA 4.0, and therefore these lines of code would not work properly due to changes in the XNA framework between versions 3.1 and 4.0. I enjoyed the boss battles and was pleasantly surprised when I saw that the movement patterns of the enemies in the second level were different from the first level. There were 2 levels each with their own boss fight. The boss fights were the same except the second boss had one extra thing to kill. I really enjoyed the ship upgrade system that you had in there and hope to see you go further with this project as 2 levels just isn't enough to upgrade a ship the way I want to! The code itself was organized, and despite the fact that there were methods from an older version of XNA, I was able to get it running without having the scour every file in your project. Unfortunately, having to go through and comment out lines of code in order to play the game, I will have to deduct some points for that. 44/50

LanceJZ - Space Zomie: Bronze Winner

A top down shooter with meteors as well as enemy ships flying at you from all directions. You get a finite amount of energy to shoot projectiles, so you can't just hold the fire button and constantly spam bullets infinitely like most shooters. I like this idea as it gives a certain level of difficulty that requires the player to choose their shots. The player's ship has a health meter too, as much as I like being able to get hit more than once, it seemed like the health of the ship was a little too high. I remember getting hit a ton of times before my ship was in any danger of blowing up. This led me to just dart around the screen without worrying about whether an asteroid was going to come onto the screen and destroy me without notice. It's a fun game, but I would suggest either increasing the damage the player takes from each hit, or reduce the overall health of the ship to increase the challenge a bit. Solid entry with multiple classes, and easy to follow code. Clean and organized with regions placed for making navigation through large codefiles considerably easier. 45/50

Gray Fox - Space Defender: Silver Winner

The controls are a little tricky, but it's a fun little top down shooter that allows the player to move anywhere on the screen. You used a lot more classes than I expected, but the code is organized and easy enough to follow. You've gone the extra mile and included a menu system with a help menu for controls and even went so far as to put in multiple levels of difficulty and even different types of ships with specific bonuses. Overall, the project is very well put together and besides the control difficulty that I had, I enjoyed playing it. 46/50

Vmpwje - Block Invaders: Gold Winner

This game was a lot of fun. It's a typical top-down shooter on rails where your ship is at the bottom of the screen and can move left to right blasting away the ships that appear at the top of the screen. The fact that you used sprites that were made up of the blocks that we all played with as kids adds a lot to the feel of the project. The code files in the project could've been organized into folders a little better rather than just having them all in the default directory, but the code itself is organized and clear. Animated explosions with blocks flying all over the screen are just amazingly well done and I really hope to see you release this game, if not for money, then as freeware or even an open source project so others can see your creation. I had more fun with this game than any of the others, and it brings back a lot of memories of the old space invaders type shooters of my childhood. Very well put together. 48/50

All in all, that was an excellent challenge and I apologize to each of you once again for not being able to get this done in a timely manner and I appreciate you all being very patient with me. You've all done a very good job of putting together these games and I look forward to putting together future challenges and seeing what else you creative bunch can throw at me.

My schedule appears to be stabilizing a bit lately, so I intend to piece together another Three Week Challenge very soon. I want to thank each of you for your participation and encourage you all to continue working hard with XNA and continue being part of the </Dream.In.Code> community!

This post has been edited by Kilorn: 20 April 2011 - 10:31 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 5
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 April 2011 - 12:32 PM

Woohoo!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 April 2011 - 07:49 PM

View PostKilorn, on 20 April 2011 - 10:30 AM, said:

This game was fun, but in order to get it running, I had to comment out a few lines of code that used methods from XNA 3.1. The project would only open in VS2010 with XNA 4.0, and therefore these lines of code would not work properly due to changes in the XNA framework between versions 3.1 and 4.0. I enjoyed the boss battles and was pleasantly surprised when I saw that the movement patterns of the enemies in the second level were different from the first level. There were 2 levels each with their own boss fight. The boss fights were the same except the second boss had one extra thing to kill. I really enjoyed the ship upgrade system that you had in there and hope to see you go further with this project as 2 levels just isn't enough to upgrade a ship the way I want to! The code itself was organized, and despite the fact that there were methods from an older version of XNA, I was able to get it running without having the scour every file in your project. Unfortunately, having to go through and comment out lines of code in order to play the game, I will have to deduct some points for that. 44/50

LanceJZ - Space Zomie: Bronze Winner

A top down shooter with meteors as well as enemy ships flying at you from all directions. You get a finite amount of energy to shoot projectiles, so you can't just hold the fire button and constantly spam bullets infinitely like most shooters. I like this idea as it gives a certain level of difficulty that requires the player to choose their shots. The player's ship has a health meter too, as much as I like being able to get hit more than once, it seemed like the health of the ship was a little too high. I remember getting hit a ton of times before my ship was in any danger of blowing up. This led me to just dart around the screen without worrying about whether an asteroid was going to come onto the screen and destroy me without notice. It's a fun game, but I would suggest either increasing the damage the player takes from each hit, or reduce the overall health of the ship to increase the challenge a bit. Solid entry with multiple classes, and easy to follow code. Clean and organized with regions placed for making navigation through large codefiles considerably easier. 45/50

Gray Fox - Space Defender: Silver Winner

The controls are a little tricky, but it's a fun little top down shooter that allows the player to move anywhere on the screen. You used a lot more classes than I expected, but the code is organized and easy enough to follow. You've gone the extra mile and included a menu system with a help menu for controls and even went so far as to put in multiple levels of difficulty and even different types of ships with specific bonuses. Overall, the project is very well put together and besides the control difficulty that I had, I enjoyed playing it. 46/50

Vmpwje - Block Invaders: Gold Winner

This game was a lot of fun. It's a typical top-down shooter on rails where your ship is at the bottom of the screen and can move left to right blasting away the ships that appear at the top of the screen. The fact that you used sprites that were made up of the blocks that we all played with as kids adds a lot to the feel of the project. The code files in the project could've been organized into folders a little better rather than just having them all in the default directory, but the code itself is organized and clear. Animated explosions with blocks flying all over the screen are just amazingly well done and I really hope to see you release this game, if not for money, then as freeware or even an open source project so others can see your creation. I had more fun with this game than any of the others, and it brings back a lot of memories of the old space invaders type shooters of my childhood. Very well put together. 48/50

All in all, that was an excellent challenge and I apologize to each of you once again for not being able to get this done in a timely manner and I appreciate you all being very patient with me. You've all done a very good job of putting together these games and I look forward to putting together future challenges and seeing what else you creative bunch can throw at me.

My schedule appears to be stabilizing a bit lately, so I intend to piece together another Three Week Challenge very soon. I want to thank each of you for your participation and encourage you all to continue working hard with XNA and continue being part of the </Dream.In.Code> community!

Yeah, I got called into work the last half of the week before I was able to tweak the balance of the game. Thank you, I pride myself in being clean and organized.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 April 2011 - 07:58 PM

View PostVmpwje, on 20 April 2011 - 12:32 PM, said:

Woohoo!

Good going!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 April 2011 - 02:48 AM

Where can we download the entries so we can play them? :D
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• XNArchitect
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 April 2011 - 06:03 AM

I'm leaving that up to the people who actually created the games. I will not give out any code that I didn't write myself, and therefore the code that each person submitted, has already been deleted from my hard drive and it's now the decision of the creator as to whether or not the games are released. I really do hope they decide to allow some of you guys to play them, and hopefully even keep developing them beyond the point that they were submitted.

This post has been edited by Kilorn: 21 April 2011 - 06:05 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 April 2011 - 02:41 PM

Thank you a lot Kilorn :)
To be honest my game should take the last position because as I said earlier "I wrote it a few months ago".

Anyway, If someone is interested about my game Space Defender, here's the original post at my blog:
http://ghoshehsoft.w...space-defender/

It contains executable, source code & some details about the game structure :)

I really would like to test & play the other submissions!
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 April 2011 - 10:29 AM

View PostKilorn, on 20 April 2011 - 12:30 PM, said:

I unzipped the file I set you and it runs just fine for me. I used VS2008, so I don't think 4.0 is available. If someone can tell me how to prevent this in the future, I'd like to know. Or I'll just use 2010 and 4.0 next time.

I had planned on having a lot more than 2 enemies or levels. I just ran out of time. But I tried to modularize everything, so it shouldn't take long to add different ships, bosses, or levels. The levels are just xml files, so anyone can edit the levels all they want. If you do make substantial changes, share it back with me. I'd love to see what other people can do with it.

As bad as last place is, I can still say I took 4th place with my first XNA game!

Attached File(s)

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• XNArchitect
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 April 2011 - 11:43 AM

I wouldn't necessarily look at it as last place. You've done what a lot of people have trouble doing, and that's meeting a deadline with a working project. You should all be proud of what you've accomplished with this, and I hope that each of you learned something that you will use in the future from this challenge. Meeting deadlines is incredibly important in software development, and the fact that you were able to take an idea and run with it and also realize that feature creep would cause you to miss that deadline shows that you're ahead of the game. The ability to decide on pushing a possible feature out of your code in order to meet the deadline is one thing that a lot of developers have trouble with. I congratulate you all on finishing these games and look forward to your future projects.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 22 April 2011 - 01:08 PM

Block Invaders now available at:

https://rapidshare.c...vadersSetup.exe

At Kilorn's suggestion, I'm having a look at releasing it properly but will need to change various bits as I didn't exactly check for copyright infringements while making this! I've also sent a link to a copy of the source code to all the runners up. These RapidShare links will only be alive for 30 days though.

You'll need XNA 4.0 to run it. Enjoy!
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 22 April 2011 - 01:55 PM

View PostVmpwje, on 22 April 2011 - 01:08 PM, said:

Block Invaders now available at:

https://rapidshare.c...vadersSetup.exe

At Kilorn's suggestion, I'm having a look at releasing it properly but will need to change various bits as I didn't exactly check for copyright infringements while making this! I've also sent a link to a copy of the source code to all the runners up. These RapidShare links will only be alive for 30 days though.

You'll need XNA 4.0 to run it. Enjoy!

Thank you a lot for sharing :).
Your game really deserves to be the golden winner.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • « First