4 Replies - 1413 Views - Last Post: 25 March 2011 - 02:07 PM

#1 Guest_ogunts4u*

how do I share internet facility on my laptop with my desktop computer

Posted 02 March 2011 - 09:11 AM

I am using a broadband internet modem on my laptop, I want to share the internet with a desktop computer so that the desktop can browse as well. I also have an unintelligent 8ports D-Link switch which I have tried but doesn't work for me. Please, I need somebody to help me out so that I can connect and configure my desktop to access the internet. Your urgent response is needed asap.Thanks
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0

Replies To: how do I share internet facility on my laptop with my desktop computer

• XNArchitect
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: how do I share internet facility on my laptop with my desktop computer

Posted 02 March 2011 - 09:42 AM

You're going to need a router. If you want to go wireless, you'll also need either a USB wireless adapter for your desktop, or a wireless network card for your desktop.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Ninjaducky
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 March 2011 - 09:47 AM

Set up an ad-hoc network on your laptop. You can share a wireless signal over ad-hoc if your card supports it and then your desktop can use that ad-hoc as a network source.
http://www.techtipsg...-internet/8126/
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• ninja DIC
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 March 2011 - 04:41 PM

you don't necessarily need a wireless adapter for the desktop. While I am not sure why you don't connect the modem to the switch unless you are saying that is broken, bridge the wireless and wired connections on the laptop, or enable internet connection sharing on the wireless connection (you may have to list it as the default gateway on the desktop) and then connect the desktop, either through the switch, or a crossover cable directly.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 25 March 2011 - 02:07 PM

View Postogunts4u, on 02 March 2011 - 10:11 AM, said:

I am using a broadband internet modem on my laptop, I want to share the internet with a desktop computer so that the desktop can browse as well. I also have an unintelligent 8ports D-Link switch which I have tried but doesn't work for me. Please, I need somebody to help me out so that I can connect and configure my desktop to access the internet. Your urgent response is needed asap.Thanks

what os are you using. windows xp is buggy. windows vista/7 is to complicated to explain. short version go to control panel/netowrking and allow this device to share interent connection.(look it up for exact steps)
if your using ethernet dont plug it into the port that says internet. plug all the computers into each other.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1