• (2 Pages)
  • +

20 Replies - 7416 Views - Last Post: 08 March 2011 - 08:02 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

How do you stay focused in College ?

Posted 04 March 2011 - 08:50 AM

Hey everyone,

Just wondering how you guys hang on to college. In my college, my classes are pretty bad. First, the content and methods : it seems everything is presented in the most convoluted and counterintuitive way possible which most of the time is cleared pretty quick in a few minutes on google. In one of the classes we are learning MIPS and the rest of the non-math classes we are forced to use C - none of that stuff that looks good like Ruby or Java or even Python for algorithm classes. Next, the teachers : half the classes are basically a huge waste of time, some teachers being good at what they do (research) but crap at teaching, others being simply laughable. The only thing holding me here is that I really want that 'safety net' degree, that I can't afford living without my scolarship (which I'd lose) or else I'd really get the hell out of here and learn my own way.

Okay, my rant is finished, thank you for bearing with me. Feel free to share your college experiences and how you mustered the courage to stick to it.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: How do you stay focused in College ?

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: How do you stay focused in College ?

Posted 04 March 2011 - 09:27 AM

It always felt like to me the professors were just reading power point slides to me which I could read at home. So I usually just didn't bother going unless there was a test. I always taught myself and found it pretty easy. There was a couple of the 400 lvl classes that were a bit more difficult to teach myself, but from what I have heard it was no easier in class.

All my professors would just give me A's on programs if they worked with no feedback as well. I really would like it a bit more if they would actually comment on the code and tell if there were ways to improve it.

This post has been edited by RLB31384: 04 March 2011 - 09:30 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 04 March 2011 - 09:51 AM

I usually give every class a chance, I'd say probably more than half of my classes have lecturers worth listening to, and the rest are just powerpoint readers. Even when I get those I usually still go, then I sit on my laptop doing something else and only half listening. I wouldn't recommend not going to class, even if your lecturer is completely hopeless there's always bits and pieces of what they say that are worth listening to.
As far as using unattractive languages like C and MIPS, well I'm assuming MIPS is for an assembly class and you'll never see it again after this semester, but schools like to stick with languages like those because they've been around forever, compilers are free, and they run just fine on the shitty, 30 year old unix servers that you have to Putty into every time you need to do some work.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• |>|20-514<|{3|2

• View blog

Posted 04 March 2011 - 12:27 PM

Well the way I deal with college and staying focused is quite simple. I currently work at a bar two days a week (18 hours) and go full time. I make approximately $(144 * 4)/mo + tips which can range from 200/wk to 30/wk depending on the weekend.

My way to stay focused in college is quite simply the ending result of such and not having to worry about if a tire on my car goes flat, how will I pay for it? I am working my way through college with a dedicated attitude for the sole fact of the ending result, a real CAREER, not a job.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 04 March 2011 - 01:17 PM

I enjoy what I study, so there's no issue of staying motivated.

As far as school goes, it's very good and I'm learning a lot -- much more than I did learning on my own. Something about being in a constant academic atmosphere among your peers, and conversing with professors that just accelerates my learning.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 March 2011 - 11:55 PM

i really love cs even though it can be frustrating getting through an obstacle in coding. i think if you are having a hard time focusing, it might be because your classes are too easy for you. if so, then devote any extra time you have to pet projects! it looks really good on applications when you can show projects you've worked on outside of class time, plus it will keep you motivated to keep learning.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 05 March 2011 - 05:34 AM

Adderall
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• |>|20-514<|{3|2

• View blog

Posted 06 March 2011 - 10:57 AM

View PostJeff H, on 05 March 2011 - 05:34 AM, said:

Adderall

That always helps. LoL.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#9 NeoTifa   User is online

• NeoTifa Codebreaker, the Scourge of Devtester
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 March 2011 - 11:38 AM

I don't, that's why my GPA is 2.3, and going down to 2.1 again after this quarter. In my defense, something tragic always goes on in my family 2-3 weeks before finals.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 March 2011 - 05:43 PM

That's the excuse I'm giving to my teachers for slacking off class related work haha
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#11 NeoTifa   User is online

• NeoTifa Codebreaker, the Scourge of Devtester
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 March 2011 - 07:33 PM

I'm serious though. My uncle died 4 weeks ago and my mother got into a car accident last week. :/

Also, to further drive my point home, I got back from Meijer's, cooked din dins, and sat down to finish my homework, and this is the result.
Attached Image

This post has been edited by NeoTifa: 07 March 2011 - 07:35 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#12 no2pencil   User is online

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 March 2011 - 07:42 PM

One time we went to a concert in Columbus. On the drive home I drifted off to sleep, as it was like 3:am or something. I was woken up & told we were going into the store. So we went into Meijer & I left my group as I was more than familiar with the store, walked straight to the drinks, grabbed some gay-turd-aids & sat down to read some comics. My group found me, we paid for our drinks & left. While walking out of the store it hit me that I had no idea where we were! The store was the same layout as Sandusky's Meijer store. I freaked out & continued to chug my drink.

True store.

On topic : In college me & fried messed with the instructors, & didn't study. I went to a crap college & got straight A's.
Was This Post Helpful? -1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 08 March 2011 - 05:54 AM

LOL! Neo, your drawings are cute.

Anyway, I am in the final leg of my senior year and I'm finding it very DIFFICULT to stay focused. I have 3 classes left and I'm just drained.

fortunately 2 of which are electives.

Im just exhausted.

I just saw the movie 'Real Genius" and I'm very close to becoming the next chris knight, lol. (as in wearing slippers to class and work and funny hats).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 08 March 2011 - 06:31 AM

^I miss going to school back in Australia, I used to go to class with no shoes on. I even had one lecturer who didn't wear shoes.

But yeah, it is tough, I have 4 classes left to graduate after this semester and I know that drained feeling all too well. Unfortunately I'm pushing on with my masters straight away so I'm hoping that graduating will give me a second wind, that and only having 2 classes per semester instead of 4, even if they are more work it's a lot easier to track 2 classes.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 March 2011 - 06:50 AM

Myself I kinda find lessons boring if i know about the stuff already. In this case I will play around like today I created bash script which opened gnome-terminals in while loop, because one of my Unix/Linux basic courses had a job where I had to open new terminals and follow with ps how many terminals I had open. Now of course as I had little bit more fun, of course this was soon executed on every open system in the class. Everyone went like what the fuck ;D
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +