6 Replies - 942 Views - Last Post: 03 April 2011 - 01:18 AM

Poll: Looks (6 member(s) have cast votes)

how does the front page look ?

1. Good (3 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

2. ordinary (3 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

3. bad : ( (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

So what do you think

Posted 11 March 2011 - 09:14 AM

Hy to all

I have made a couple of websites but this but this is my first website with the CSS designed from scratch , i only have the front page and the products > contract management page done so far .

I want your comments on my front page , and if it looks good .

I really like the front page , what about you guys ?

The footer is not yet complete so leave that out

Thank you for you're time .

My New Site

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: So what do you think

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: So what do you think

Posted 11 March 2011 - 09:24 AM

The picture part is nice, even thought pic 2 does not seam to work...

But I don't like the colors on the menus, I can't really put my finger on it but I don't like that part so much.. But I'm not a designer so you should not listen to much on me about that part.. ;)

Good luck with the site! :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 March 2011 - 11:45 AM

What I get from the site (content) is that it is a GUI application development company, so that is what I am going to be basing this site review off of.

Things I think are off:
1 - The logo in the top left corner stands out a lot more than the rest of the site (it uses reds and is large). This detracts from the content of the page and looks at odds wiht the color scheme the site uses (greens and white mainly). It (the logo) is also a gif or jpeg and is used as a background image. This isn't normal (most of the time a banner image is clickable and will take you back to the home page) so it will likely confuse users. Additionally, since it is a gif/jpeg it has pixelization (if it is a jpeg this can be helped by increasing the quality of the file before saving it, if it is a gif I would suggest changing the file format to png which allows for a richer color scheme and an alpha channel which is more than a single bit (on or off)). This should increase the smoothness of the logo and also make it act like people will be expecting.
2 - You have a rather large white space between the logo and "South Africa". This should probabily be filled with something (such as a search box) to help the top of the page look less sparse.
3 - Your tmp directory has a blank index.html file which is being used as the default index. This is causing your home button to be broken (always showing a blank page). This may not be anything important when you move over to the production server.
4 - While I know they say that an image is worth 1000 words, I don't always agree with it. And in this case (when the images look completely random in comparison to the site theme) they actually do need some words to tie them into the site. What is their purpose? Are they places the company has worked on previously? Let us know something about them (I see that they have a space for a description, I just don't see any description). Remember that people using smaller monitor resolutions will be able to see only your logo, navbar, image slider, and possible the top of the content. You want to make that image slider engaging.
5 - Your news and upgrades box is rather small and insignificant in comparison to the rest of the content on the page. If I may make a suggestion I think you should consider making it (and the Novtel International box the same size (both just under half the width of the image slider with about the same margin as they currently have). I would also suggest removing the marquee and making is either static text content, or links to the articles and display titles there.
6 - (The footer, you may want to skip this section) The footer looks out of place. At the moment it has no border whereas the rest of the content heading and the navbar all have borders and it is different shades of green than the navbar. I would suggest simply reusing the navbar for the copyright statement background to tie everything in at the bottom of the page. If you don't like that idea you can still fade it out slightly towards the bottom half, or you could even move it so the background is half off the bottom of the page (not showing and not scrollable) this could add an interesting dynamic.

Colors:
1 - As I already said, the red for the logo stands out a bit too much in comparison with the other colors used on the site (mainly greens and white), so I would suggest changing either that or changing the other color schemes so they better match. It is important to note though that you don't want to change the colors to something too warm, otherwise they will cause the user to get irritated (as red is an exciting color) and they may leave the site.
2 - The links are either grey or black. I think it would be better if you had a color which stood out a bit more than they currently do. Perhaps try changing the grey to a green dark enough you can see it on the navbar, but light enough it is still obviously a green. Also, currently the grey doesn't work in the slightest with the copyright link (it is hard to read on the green background), this should change.
3 - On the contract management page you have a LOT more color than you do on the main page (yellow, pink, blue, green, etc.) these are first: hard to read on the white background, and second: don't really seem to fit in with the content very well. I would suggest changing them back to a black or something darker that it is easy for people to read them.
4 - You start to use rounded corners for your content tabs, and the active tab has a blue gradient background. The blue background doesn't work with your green color scheme very well, so I would suggest changing that to a green, and the rounded corners look out of place in comparison to the rest of the site (which is blocky). So I would say either make the corners square or add the rounded corner effect to other parts of the site so they look like they belong.
5 - On this page you also have an image of a man. This is the first time I saw a picture of a person on the site, and it looks a little bland. I am not exactly sure what should be done to make it look better (perhaps a border or a fade) but I just thought I'd point it out.
6 - If you look at the blog they have a completely different color scheme than the one you are using. This should be fixed so the color schemes go together.
7 - The color scheme of the forums is also different than either that of the blog of that of the site you are working on. This should be fixed. You should have the skins of all the portions of the site looking pretty much exactly the same so the user doesn't think he/she left your site to a different one.

As always, take the advice above as you will.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 March 2011 - 12:04 PM

Thanks , i designed the Main website blue color scheme , and the blog template scheme .

This was very informative information . And i appreciate it alot . I am not a designer but a computer programmer , although i think the white and green blends in very well together , i agree that it would be better to blend it in with the blog and forum . Like using blue and white to color the main web page.

And you're absolutely right about the cm page. It did not feel right for me either , i might want to change that to a block appearance .

this is just a side line project of mine.

As a hard core programmer this is interesting to come to the design of things .

I really think this is a nice layout (CSS) in the the front page. But there might be some work to be done , i thing i will make the layout light blue , as my original scheme . Because light blue is very soft on the eyes in the late night . :)

Thanks again !!

This post has been edited by marinus: 11 March 2011 - 12:06 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 March 2011 - 12:38 PM

I am also not a designer by trade, but a programmer. I have just learned some of the more interesting things about design over time as I started out in web development and have always liked how quick and easy it is to see progress and the outcome of my work in that field.

I think that the light blue would look nice in the current layout. Now, as for changing the site news to be equal length, that is (as always) up to you, I just found an article recently which talked about block/ live layouts and shows some nice examples, and thought that would lend itself nicely to this site.
Here's the link: http://designshack.c...layout-examples
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 March 2011 - 01:48 PM

I really think i got the recipe now
i think it works with the forum and blog now :)

And contract management page goes more with the home page flow .

My link

here is the link

Appreciate all comments !
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 April 2011 - 01:18 AM

Any updates on my site now , i have change the front page alot , can someone tell me what the think of the

FRONT-PAGE(Please Dont look at the footer),
BLOG,
FORUM,
Contract Manager Page(Not Complete)

Thanks a million. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1