12 Replies - 4423 Views - Last Post: 17 June 2011 - 12:25 PM

• New D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Can one be a good programmer and also a good graphics designer

Posted 18 March 2011 - 08:55 AM

I've been made to believe that being a good programmer ==> you are not good when it come to graphics, but I happen to have a thing for the two, am I normal, is it possible for one to be a good programmer cum graphics designer, I think the baton has to be handed over now,
<i>over to you</i>
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Can one be a good programmer and also a good graphics designer

#2 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Can one be a good programmer and also a good graphics designer

Posted 18 March 2011 - 09:00 AM

What? Who said that? People say if you want to be a good programmer you lose a socially acceptable level of personal hygiene. Stereotypes and all!

Why are you worried about being "normal"? Especially when "normal" is defined by someone else's odd ball criteria?

Yes you can be both - go look at the 'graphics' sub forum.

What about the baton?

This post has been edited by modi123_1: 18 March 2011 - 09:01 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 March 2011 - 09:12 AM

I think it may be derived from the stereotype that artists and programmers have two different ways of solving problems.

Though neither problem solving method actually hurts you in programming. It just makes for two different approaches to the problem. Because that stereotypical 'programmer' thing is referring to isn't actually the programmer type, it's the nerdy scientific/mathematical/analytical type. Of which the programming world is abundant in, but not exclusive to. (and lastly those types aren't necessarily art retarded either... M.C. Escher derp).

This post has been edited by lordofduct: 18 March 2011 - 09:18 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 March 2011 - 09:16 AM

That's just silly.

That's as nonsensical as saying if you eat fruit then you can't be good at running.

You're good at what you're good at, if you apply yourself to both programming and graphic design then chances are you can become good at both. Programmers generally aren't great at graphic design because they spend most of the time doing the programming and letting others do the design.

There are plenty of Game's Programmers out there that do the programming and the design, some of them even complete every aspect of the game to great standard, it's just generally time saving to have multiple people for multiple roles.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 March 2011 - 09:26 AM

So far I'm so grateful for the replies you guys have posted, it's really encouraging, I think I'll put my mind to it like you said, @bonyjoe are you a programmer cum designer I'll really love to meet guys like that, you know iron sharpens iron.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 18 March 2011 - 09:31 AM

Yes you can be good at both programming and graphic design.
The reason why people think good programmers suck at graphic design is that a good programmer mostly cares about "how it works" rather than "how it looks like".
Most programmers don't care as much about the visual appearance of their applications comparing to their application performance, bug tracking, security etc.

This post has been edited by EarthShaker: 18 March 2011 - 09:32 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 March 2011 - 11:24 AM

View Poste-papa, on 18 March 2011 - 09:26 AM, said:

So far I'm so grateful for the replies you guys have posted, it's really encouraging, I think I'll put my mind to it like you said, @bonyjoe are you a programmer cum designer I'll really love to meet guys like that, you know iron sharpens iron.

Well I started off with graphic design as a hobby but moved into programming later on, now I don't really do graphic design so much, but could if required to. I wish I was good enough at both to pull off mixing the two skills together and doing it well but sadly I'm not.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Technophile
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 March 2011 - 11:46 AM

It is true that most programmers are not good designers, and vise versa. But your question was "can", and the answer to can should always be YES!

I am a much better programmer than I am designer, but I design whenever I get a chance!
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 26 March 2011 - 05:25 PM

Anything is possible, except eating your own face :hungry: Of course you can be good at both as long as you have some talent and determination
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 March 2011 - 09:16 AM

Thanks again.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 April 2011 - 05:23 PM

Ahh the old right brain vs. left brain misconception.
I think programmers and coders can also be graphic designers. Though they may be better at one and not as good at the other. I'm good at graphic design. I'm good at a few coding languages. But I do trip up in them and make dumb mistakes sometimes.

Honestly I feel like a programmer may be better at designing graphic interfaces for software, websites, and the like because they know exactly how each piece will be applied. If they hired a graphic designer, there's more of a chance that there may be a communication error and something may translate incorrectly from code to interface.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 April 2011 - 06:51 AM

Okay i think i get your point.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 June 2011 - 12:25 PM

This was an interesting topic to stumble across. I've never heard of such a thing nor have I put thought into it. But I am currently majoring in Game Art and Design. I am also learning couple programming languages. I draw, I can make photoshop my b****, and 3DS max is my best friend. Who ever told you could only be a programmer and not an artist or vice versa has no idea what they are talking about.

What's funny though is that I'm looking to transfer to a college where programming can be my major over game art and design... I'm still going to be doing all the graphic design type things as well in my free time.

The other interesting thing is that in the field I'm seeking which is becoming a game designer. It is a definate plus to know how everything works in what your trying to design. The art, the audio,the programing and the teamwork are all fundamentals that game designers have to put into account for. Especially if one becomes a director for a game. Usually the ones who do reach that title are vey skilled in all the subjects I previously mentioned.

This post has been edited by Yinn: 17 June 2011 - 12:29 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1