13 Replies - 46995 Views - Last Post: 04 April 2011 - 12:40 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Project ideas!

Posted 02 April 2011 - 02:16 PM

We all have projects that we do for work, but I'm sure many of us also have projects that we do at home either for fun, or to learn something new.

I currently don't have any projects that I'm doing at home and I can't, for the life of me, think of what to make next.

So, does anyone have any ideas for a desktop application?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Project ideas!

#2 macosxnerd101   User is online

• Games, Graphs, and Auctions
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Project ideas!

Posted 02 April 2011 - 02:19 PM

Martyr2 has a whole list of them. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 April 2011 - 02:24 PM

View Postmacosxnerd101, on 02 April 2011 - 03:19 PM, said:

Yup. Saw them. They're mostly boring.

I should probably clarify.

I hate making software for no reason. I mean I really hate it. Sure, I can learn stuff, but if the software never gets used by anyone, then I feel like I'm just wasting time.

Most of the project idea lists, including that one, often gives us a lot of great ideas, but almost none of them are functional in the real world. Not alone, anyway.

So I come to the community, directly, to see if anyone has any ideas about projects that I can create, that people might be able to use.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 macosxnerd101   User is online

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 April 2011 - 02:27 PM

Join an open source project. Ask friends, teachers, family, coworkers, etc. if they need anything done. Go on a site like rentacoder and bid on projects. Hate to say it, but we probably aren't going to be able to give you specific ideas of what to write if you're basing this off of other people using your software. Find someone with a need, and write software for them. It will probably be used. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Xamarin Cert. Dev.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 April 2011 - 02:34 PM

Look around. See a niche that needs filling and tackle it.
  • Automate your house.
  • Automate your daily routine:
  • What's the first thing you do on your PC?
    • Open 5 different pages,
    • retrieve the weather and stocks,
    • check on DIC,
    • dump 15 offers in your email to make you the next prince of Nigeria,
    • download the daily free photo from StareMagazine.com
    • Download last night's TV shows

Listen to your wife, friends, family when they say "I wish there was an easier/faster way to do x" then solve their issue.

How many businesses do you walk in to and hear the clerk moaning about crappy software for their POS, Insurance agent, Hair salon appointments, Medical office...

Anyone that can't find 10 new worthwhile projects in one day is walking through life not paying attention to the world around them.

This post has been edited by tlhIn`toq: 02 April 2011 - 02:36 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 April 2011 - 02:41 PM

View PosttlhIn`toq, on 02 April 2011 - 03:34 PM, said:

• Automate your house.
    • check on DIC,

Listen to your wife, friends, family when they say "I wish there was an easier/faster way to do x" then solve their issue.

How many businesses do you walk in to and hear the clerk moaning about crappy software for their POS, Insurance agent, Hair salon appointments, Medical office...

Anyone that can't find 10 new worthwhile projects in one day is walking through life not paying attention to the world around them.

Finding projects is easy! Finding ones that interest me are not. I've spent weeks looking for new projects, I've looked at open source projects, I've looked at making alternatives to other applications, I've scoured Google and I've read many other threads about software people want to create and I've found none that interest me. Asking it in a forum was more of a last resort.

I had hoped to come here and get actual help. Instead people tell me that I won't find it here or that I'm not looking hard enough. I suppose I'll just need to find it somewhere else =/

This post has been edited by weirddemon: 02 April 2011 - 02:42 PM

Was This Post Helpful? -4
  • +
  • -

• Critical Section
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 April 2011 - 02:43 PM

Ok, but first whome you want to use your software? even your self? if so, may be you can rewrite the software available in your computer like PDF readers, office, photo viewers.... then after finishing you may uninstall those third parts and install your own ones!!!!! (MAy be it is stupid)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#8 macosxnerd101   User is online

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 April 2011 - 02:51 PM

I had hoped to come here and get actual help. Instead people tell me that I won't find it here or that I'm not looking hard enough.

You have to keep in mind that you're coming to a forum on the internet, asking people who don't know you to recommend you projects. We have no idea what gets you motivated to code, what you're interested in, etc. I'm not trying to be rude, but the best advice we can really offer are lists like Martyr2's, and ways to search for potential users.

The last piece of advice I have is to combine programming with another subject you are passionate about. Are you interested in math? If so, pick up a Discrete Math book and have some fun. Join Project Euler. What about Physics or Chemistry? Write a program to do Vector addition or Stoichiometry. And if you're in college, perhaps other students might find your program helpful.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Xamarin Cert. Dev.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 April 2011 - 06:20 PM

View Postweirddemon, on 02 April 2011 - 03:41 PM, said:

Finding projects is easy! Finding ones that interest me are not. I've spent weeks looking for new projects, I've looked at open source projects, I've looked at making alternatives to other applications, I've scoured Google and I've read many other threads about software people want to create and I've found none that interest me. Asking it in a forum was more of a last resort.

I had hoped to come here and get actual help. Instead people tell me that I won't find it here or that I'm not looking hard enough. I suppose I'll just need to find it somewhere else =/

I'm going to assume you are around yourself almost all the time. I bet you know yourself pretty well. And you can find projects for you. So how are a bunch of strangers who know nothing about you supposed to do better?

If it is so damned hard to find a project that interests you, maybe you have to re-examine if coding really interests you. Someone truly interested in coding could find a way to make almost anything interesting. My last outsource project was for a timeclock. How boring is that? But I made it fun because that beats the hell out of griping about doing boring junk just to make a buck on the weekends.

And what happens when you do it for a living and your boss gives you an assignment that sucks? Do you think you are going to have your choice of only the projects that are fun and cool?

I would suggest you worry less about the goal of the project and find a way to make every project interesting to you. Find a new way to do something. Make it interesting by learning a new technology with every project: Like adding an SQL database if you've never used one. Challenge yourself to finish the project in less than 20 hours. Challenge yourself to finish a project without having to look up anything for it on MSDN. Make it multi-lingual. Design your own plug-in spec for it.

If you can find a way to make them all interesting, then when you are a newbie at some company and get handed the crap that goes to the people at the bottom of the totem pole you will be able to excel at it. Proving you can turn shyte into gold without complaint is the best way to move up into a position where you can cherry-pick your assignments.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 April 2011 - 06:31 PM

View PosttlhIn`toq, on 02 April 2011 - 07:20 PM, said:

I'm going to assume you are around yourself almost all the time. I bet you know yourself pretty well. And you can find projects for you. So how are a bunch of strangers who know nothing about you supposed to do better?

What you're not understanding, is I'm just asking for suggestions. That's all. I'll decide if I like them or not. I only stated what I did in post 3, so I could just help clarify for when people did make a suggestion

If it is so damned hard to find a project that interests you, maybe you have to re-examine if coding really interests you. Someone truly interested in coding could find a way to make almost anything interesting. My last outsource project was for a timeclock. How boring is that? But I made it fun because that beats the hell out of griping about doing boring junk just to make a buck on the weekends.

And what happens when you do it for a living and your boss gives you an assignment that sucks? Do you think you are going to have your choice of only the projects that are fun and cool?

I would suggest you worry less about the goal of the project and find a way to make every project interesting to you. Find a new way to do something. Make it interesting by learning a new technology with every project: Like adding an SQL database if you've never used one. Challenge yourself to finish the project in less than 20 hours. Challenge yourself to finish a project without having to look up anything for it on MSDN. Make it multi-lingual. Design your own plug-in spec for it.

If you can find a way to make them all interesting, then when you are a newbie at some company and get handed the crap that goes to the people at the bottom of the totem pole you will be able to excel at it. Proving you can turn shyte into gold without complaint is the best way to move up into a position where you can cherry-pick your assignments.

You're making an awful lot of assumptions, without knowing anything about me. I do program at work and I have done projects I don't like. But that doesn't matter, I do them because I have to. But at home, I program because I want to. So I want to make applications that I will enjoy and interest me.

I do just fine at work and I make whatever my boss tells me to, but when I'm at home, I want to make something I'm interested in. Since I couldn't find anything yet, I decided to ask you guys. Because no matter how much experience I have, there's always someone out there that has done something I haven't.

So all I'm doing is asking for specific suggestions. That's it. I'll take it from there. But you seem so worried about my choices that you'd rather spit out a long retort out instead of provide them.

I also asked this question at VBF. They're suggestions weren't great, and one kind of caught my attention, but they were suggestions and not ridicule and rhetoric that doesn't help.

But I guess I'm done with D.I.C. The community is so off putting =/

This post has been edited by weirddemon: 02 April 2011 - 06:34 PM

Was This Post Helpful? -4
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 02 April 2011 - 06:40 PM

If different projects don't interest you, why not try different platforms and/or languages? Try getting through 52 weeks of code. I doubt there's many people in the world who could do that challenge and not become a better programmer because of it.

View Postweirddemon, on 02 April 2011 - 02:41 PM, said:

This attitude won't get you far here. People are genuinely trying to suggest things and it's all beneath you? Nobody here needs to spend their Saturday night doing your thinking for you.

View Postweirddemon, on 02 April 2011 - 06:31 PM, said:

But I guess I'm done with D.I.C. The community is so off putting =/

Oh no, what a devastating loss.

This post has been edited by hookiethe1: 02 April 2011 - 06:42 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Xamarin Cert. Dev.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 April 2011 - 06:51 PM

What you're not understanding, is I'm just asking for suggestions. That's all. I'll decide if I like them or not

What you're not understanding is that people have made suggestions, and they weren't good enough for you.

There are without exaggeration billions of possible coding projects you could do. Are the volunteers here supposed to list all 1,000,000,000 of them so you can decide which ones you want to do?

Guess what? The rest of us have lives.

Many people here have taken the time to help you find a way to find your own projects. But you are coming off as if you can't be bothered to actually think for yourself. You can't be bothered with coming up with your own projects; that's what the little people on forums are here to do for you.

So let me just say now: Please leave the programing career field. Find something that actually excites you all on its own. Become a pilot. Take up cooking. Take up photography. Find that activity that inspires you naturally rather than drudge through this coding field that obviously stirs nothing within you. You'll be a lot happier and so will the people you surround yourself with. Don't become that guy, in the next cubical that we all dread because all he can do is bitch about how the work suck, the job sucks, the boss sucks, the project sucks, life sucks...
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Xamarin Cert. Dev.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 April 2011 - 07:06 PM

Attached Image

This is why people won't risk telling you the truth like a man. Because you retaliate like a child if someone says something to you that isn't sweetness and rainbows.

I didn't tell you to go hang yourself. I gave you several good suggestions for projects

• Automate your house.
    • check on DIC,

I can't believe I waisted my time on yet another newbie with a "Can someone think up a project idea for me?" question. You would think I would learn my lesson. But I keep having hope that someone looking for a project might actually be interested in learning. This is why we have entire threads for suggestions. Because nearly every one of these kids don't know how to behave in public. If someone doesn't hand you the golden answer on a silver platter then they are being mean to you, so you MUST retaliate like a 5th grader.

My suggestion to everyone else here: If you value your reputation, don't risk helping this petty child.

View Postweirddemon, on 02 April 2011 - 07:31 PM, said:

You're making an awful lot of assumptions, without knowing anything about me.

Isn't that EXACTLY what you are asking everyone here to do? Make huge assumptions about what you would find interesting, without knowing anything about you.

I made suggestions I thought would be interesting, like automating your home. I got thanked by you -1 downrepping me. Who here is going to risk helping you when that is how you thank them for not coming up with the perfect project suggestion?
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 April 2011 - 12:40 AM

Hi weirddemon, I've sent you a PM about a project of mine. If it's something you find interest in working/helping with, let me know!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1