2 Replies - 1167 Views - Last Post: 08 April 2011 - 04:56 AM

• Awesome
  • member icon

• View blog

CS/AppliedMath Major Physics Minor for Game Dev Career

Posted 07 April 2011 - 01:56 PM

I am joint-majoring in Computer Science and Applied Mathematics with a minor in Physics. Will this help teach me the things I'll need to know to develop physics engines for video games commercially after I graduate?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: CS/AppliedMath Major Physics Minor for Game Dev Career

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: CS/AppliedMath Major Physics Minor for Game Dev Career

Posted 07 April 2011 - 06:44 PM

Of course. However, majoring in physics with the minor in applied math may be a bit more suitable for a "physics" engine right? But yeah computer science for programming and problem solving using computers, applied math for applying mathematical models to real life scenarios and physics to understand the concepts of motion, mass and energy and you have all the fixins for developing physics engines.

Also it might have been advantageous to have gone into some kind of video game design or animation program too... but either way all if it will help.

:)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Awesome
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: CS/AppliedMath Major Physics Minor for Game Dev Career

Posted 08 April 2011 - 04:56 AM

Unfortunately there is no such program offered where I live. However, I chose to major in Computer Science and Applied Mathematics over Computer Science and Physics for two reasons: 1) I love math. 2) It is my understanding that video games do not actually try to emulate real world physics because this usually ends up doing funny, unexpected things. I've also heard that I wouldn't need much past Classical Mechanics, which is included in my minor.

Just a side note: My school offers two courses in Astrophysics that I wouldn't mind taking, too bad I don't have space for those! :<
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1