End of Semester Rush

• (2 Pages)
  • +

19 Replies - 1391 Views - Last Post: 13 April 2011 - 01:12 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

End of Semester Rush

Posted 11 April 2011 - 01:32 PM

So, I am on my last two weeks of the semester (before finals) and had a test today as well as three more this week. Not to mention multiple essays due and multiple homework assignments. (This horrendous amount is mainly due to procrastination, I would only have half the essays and homework otherwise, but still.) Anyone else feeling the end of semester rush? Have to say, really wish I didn't have the procrastination-until-absolutely-forced-to-work-due-to-impending-scholastic-death down as a habit.

Caffeine is my friend...quantum mechanics, not so much.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: End of Semester Rush

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Re: End of Semester Rush

Posted 11 April 2011 - 01:58 PM

I'm actually having a good semester, after a couple of tougher ones previously. This coming week is going to be pretty tough, because of a 4 person, semester long group project that I've already done about three quarters of, it's starting to look like I'm going to have to do the last quarter as well, but that's due next Tuesday and after that just a couple of minor assignments and then finals.
My semester is going out with a whimper, and after this I'll never have more than 2 classes concurrently again!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Ninjaducky
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 April 2011 - 02:00 PM

4th term of my junior year in high school. Holy...life is hell this year.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 11 April 2011 - 02:29 PM

Well, I'm glad that someone is having a good semester. Seems like it would be nice to only have a project left, even if it sounds like your group has abandoned it to you.

Dogstopper, I don't know your high school, but mine was only too easy in comparision. Didn't feel that way at the time, but now I wish for a load that light. Of course, we had the semester and not quarter system.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 11 April 2011 - 08:09 PM

I'm doing OK - not behind, not ahead, and keeping good grades. The problem I have: all the big projects, tests, and papers are all due very soon, and I'm starting a coop position in over a week. So my lax pace is going to have to go into overdrive to compensate for lost time @ work.

Considering how competitive getting internships and coops can be around here, it's a problem I'll gladly deal with. I am definitely looking forward to a summer of just 2 classes instead of 5 + the corresponding labs.

Is your summer going to be all relaxing, work, school, or some combination?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 11 April 2011 - 08:13 PM

No school, just need to get a job. Gonna learn some stuff on my own, but no courses ( or credit). Menial labor = money. Oh joy.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Awesome
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 April 2011 - 08:14 PM

This semester has been a decent one for me. I actually stopped going to two of my classes because they are so easy that I can pass them without going or reading the material (I love that I wasted money on these classes ...)

I'm looking forward to the summer and then to next fall when I'll get to take a both a Java course and a Python course, as well as Calculus II and Physics. I'll also be taking an English course.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 11 April 2011 - 08:17 PM

Calc 2 is evil. Calc 3 is awesome, however. I would love a Python course, but my college doesn't have much in computer science. So sad. TT.TT
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Awesome
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 April 2011 - 08:22 PM

The way I've heard it, Calc II at my school is either a lot easier or a lot harder, depending on the person. There doesn't really seem to be a middle ground. I enjoyed the integrals we did at the end of Calc I, but we just used the "k" rule (this is what my prof called it).

The Python course isn't required but I sat in on a lecture for it last semester and the prof was great! I know he'll be teaching it in the Fall.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 11 April 2011 - 08:27 PM

Calc 2 includes some fun stuff like intergrating areas and volumes, and some hard stuff. How hard it is depends on your teacher, but most people seem to complain about it. The Python course sounds fun, wish we had one.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Awesome
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 April 2011 - 08:30 PM

The course is called "Data Analysis with Scripting Languages", the prof uses Python to analyze different types of data, teaching you Python along the way. It should be pretty good.

Also the teacher I plan on taking Calc II with is supposed to be a hard ass. However, everyone agrees that he teaches you Calculus, not how to pass his final exam. (This is a good thing, in my opinion.)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 11 April 2011 - 08:32 PM

It is a good thing, unless your GPA is low, or you need a high one for grad school.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Awesome
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 April 2011 - 03:33 AM

Well hopefully I won't be bothered by him and I can just take care of my business. If the prof doesn't work out then we do have excellent Calc I and Calc II tutorials at my university, offered by a guy named John O'Reilly(MathReviews.ca).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 12 April 2011 - 04:47 AM

View Postelgose, on 11 April 2011 - 08:09 PM, said:

Is your summer going to be all relaxing, work, school, or some combination?

Mine will be all business, as I'm in my final push. I have a good full time internship with a good company, but after this semester only 4 classes left until graduation, and a baby due in the middle of Summer. So I'm taking 2 classes for the first 6 weeks of Summer, then one in the second 6 week stretch, then just one in Fall and I'll be graduated. This will allow me to work a full 40 hour week from halfway through Summer until the end of the year so my wife can work a lot less. If financial aid will come to the party I'd like to pick up a post-grad class in Fall and get started on my master's, but not sure if that'll happen, have a meeting with an adviser next week.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 April 2011 - 08:35 AM

Hope the financial aid works for you. My experience in such areas does not have the best track.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +