2 Replies - 1369 Views - Last Post: 04 May 2011 - 12:49 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Student searching for what programs to pursue education

Posted 02 May 2011 - 11:06 PM

I am a Computer Science major in my sophmore year of college but I am mostly trying to get some advice about what type of programs or educational tools that would be advantageous to utilize to help build my knowledge and experience in programming and give me a better understanding of what would be critical of a young programmer to learn early in his education... not that i don't have a clue about programming but i've just begun to scratch the surface and I'm interested in spending my time and resources outside of school into continued learning of the best practices or tools related to the field.. thank you for any feedback..

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Student searching for what programs to pursue education

• Saucy!
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Student searching for what programs to pursue education

Posted 03 May 2011 - 02:42 AM

Moved to Student Campus
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Student searching for what programs to pursue education

Posted 04 May 2011 - 12:49 PM

Programs - use an IDE you like some good ones are eclipse, netbeans, notepad++

If your just learning syntax it would be better to master that before going on to learning some tools but it's good to learn how to use a revision control tool like CVS or SVN. A debugger would be good to know how to use GNU Debugger is a popular one.

If your into reading a book I found useful was Javanotes and I've heard good things about Thinking in C++ and Thinking in Java. Reading is one of the best things you can do to improve your coding abilities.

This best thing you can do to improve is to practice, practice, practice (schedule some eat and sleep time in there too)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1