6 Replies - 22655 Views - Last Post: 05 July 2011 - 06:20 PM

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Java Internship Interview

Posted 05 May 2011 - 08:27 AM

I have posted this in Java forum rather than Student Campus since i guess i will get more replies :).

I have an interview next week for a Java intern position. I have never had an interview regarding programming so this will be my first one! To be honest, i am scared as hell.

The guy told me that the interview will consist of 2 parts: written test and interview with management what should last 3 hours in total. I have already taken one java test for this company but it was only a multiple choice test. So i guess, i did pretty well to get an interview.

Now my questions. Can anyone of you suggest how i can prepare myself for it, regarding programming revision (for the test) and all-round preparation (for the management people).

Since the multiple choice test was quite challenging, i am going to base my programming revision on it. It had in it:

1) Generics
2) Maps, Iterators etc
3) OOP - classes, inheritance,abstract classes
4) Threading
5) XML

If any of you can add to the list, what would YOU revise or what you have encountered from your own experience.

And about this written test. Can any of you suggest what it can be? (I know its a silly question since noone can be 100% sure but im talking about general areas). Do you think it will be as simple as File I/O. Or maybe implement a data structure? Do some fancy GUI in Swing?

Any general advice on how to approach this interview would be fantastic. This will be my first one and i am sure i will enjoy it afterwards :). Thanks for any input in advance.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 1
  • +

Replies To: Java Internship Interview

• Games, Graphs, and Auctions
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Java Internship Interview

Posted 05 May 2011 - 08:32 AM

Moved to Java Programmers for more discussion. :)

Check out these threads:
Getting Better at Programming Java
What NOT to do when Java Coding
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 May 2011 - 02:26 PM

My first, and possibly most important, suggestion has nothing to do with programming, but with interviews and tests in general: Try not to be too nervous and "don't make your enemy larger and stronger than he actually is"!

Now for some things I found helpful when being in an interview (as the one being interviewed as well as well as being the one who interviews):
  • Does the company you're applying to have a blog or homepage? My company has a blog where we share some of our knowledge and my boss always asks about something that was published in the last two or three months. Most times it's a question to some kind of code-sugar or puzzler that was published. Especially when management people are present, brief knowledge on the company's history might be helpful (do *NOT* try to memorize everything in detail, that will most probably not work).
  • It's always good to have some knowledge not everyone has. This can be simple things like a consistent coding-style. Doesn't matter if it's a "good" or an "even better" one or if it's the same as that of the company. The only important aspect here is to show that you are able to use one.
    But it could also be to know some tricks or avoiding some nasty mistakes (as macosxnerd101 mentioned, the What NOT to do when Java Coding is a really good resource for this).
  • No one is capable of knowing every detail. But when working with something, you have to know where you can gain the knowledge required for a certain task. In this case: Make yourself familiar with the Java API Documentation. The important thing here is to know that it exists, to be able to use it and to understand what is written there.

Besides this, I think if you did well in the multiple choice test and you are capable of showing that that knowledge is not only theoretical, but that you can work with it, you will do quite well.

Hope this helps and good luck!
n8schatten
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 05 May 2011 - 02:55 PM

Thanks man. Good input. I will take on board what you have said :) .
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Ninjaducky
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 May 2011 - 03:42 AM

Also, make sure you practice with Notepad and the Command line compiler. You never know what IDE they are going to let use use (if one at all). Make sure you know the essential classes well enough to not need Intellisense to help complete code for you. Also make sure you know how to use the JavaDocs.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 May 2011 - 02:01 AM

darek,
was your interview successful? Were our suggestions of any use in a real life situation?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 05 July 2011 - 06:20 PM

View Postn8schatten, on 17 May 2011 - 02:01 AM, said:

darek,
was your interview successful? Were our suggestions of any use in a real life situation?

I would like to know the answer of this as well..
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1