6 Replies - 1112 Views - Last Post: 28 June 2011 - 11:35 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Can you give me the reasons how virus gets into the computer's sys

Posted 25 June 2011 - 07:46 AM

My parents bought me new computer set. Can you give me the reasons how virus gets into the computer's system? I want to know so I can avoid them so I can get away from any computers trouble since I am not good in technical troubleshooting. Thank you!

This post has been edited by ericmulllis27: 25 June 2011 - 07:50 AM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Can you give me the reasons how virus gets into the computer's sys

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Can you give me the reasons how virus gets into the computer's sys

Posted 25 June 2011 - 08:38 AM

Good morning Eric, seems like you are really good in handling and taking care of things you have. I can feel that you really want to take good care your computer and keep it away from any kind of viruses. Well, of course, first and formost, since your computer set is new you have to install an ANTI VIRUS software on it. Anyway, to answer your questions on how these crazy viruses gets into your computer, check this site to make your checklist so you can avoid them.
*techyv.com/questions/computer-malware-issue
Good luck!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 June 2011 - 10:16 AM

The job of a computer is to run programs. A virus, or any malware, is just a program that's doing something you don't want. The computer isn't smart enough to know you really didn't want that. You told it to, after all.

The most vulnerable system is Windows. This isn't entirely Microsoft's fault; they have to the most users so the most people looking to exploiting them. The best thing you can do is keep the software as up to date as possible. Always run those annoying Window's Updates, etc.

How does bad stuff get there? Usually because you let it in. You visited a site, clicked on a button, downloaded a cute program that put something not so cute on your machine. At the very least, if you can seen the internet, it can see you.

Can you completely avoid getting hit? No. Can you limit exposure? Yes. Don't click on any window you didn't ask for. Have all the security features turned on. If a popup says someone like "Security Alert" it's trying to scare you into installing malware.

Backup frequently. If you do get screwed up, you can go back to the backup.

Good luck.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 June 2011 - 12:18 PM

View Postbaavgai, on 25 June 2011 - 10:16 AM, said:

If a popup says someone like "Security Alert" it's trying to scare you into installing malware.

I've had to fix my sister in-law's laptop twice now from pop ups saying "You have a virus!" and the like, then directing you to the "fix" download site that is actually the virus. There are variations of this tactic all over the web.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 June 2011 - 10:20 AM

First, get a good antivirus program. If you're unsure about what program to use there is a thread in the Corner Cubicle that talks about what programs all the members on DIC use. You can find that thread here.

I'd also look into a good firewall software. I've heard a lot of good things about the Comodo Firewall software. I personally use the Windows Firewall, but I'm thinking about switching to something else. If you're interesting in trying out Comodo you can find it here.

What internet browser are you using?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 June 2011 - 10:23 AM

View Postbjantho, on 27 June 2011 - 03:18 PM, said:

View Postbaavgai, on 25 June 2011 - 10:16 AM, said:

If a popup says someone like "Security Alert" it's trying to scare you into installing malware.

I've had to fix my sister in-law's laptop twice now from pop ups saying "You have a virus!" and the like, then directing you to the "fix" download site that is actually the virus. There are variations of this tactic all over the web.

Those types of infections are generally refereed to as 'Rogue Software' or 'Scareware'.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 June 2011 - 11:35 AM

Rogue Software? Hadn't heard of that one. Still, everyone has a different name for this stuff.

I have an issue with the term computer virus, because it's almost always used incorrectly. There hasn't been a cool autonomous self replicating beastie via infection in years, if not decades. They sort of rely on sneaker net, I suspect.

The things called viruses are almost always Trojans...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1