4 Replies - 1034 Views - Last Post: 29 June 2011 - 11:56 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

MBA?

Posted 28 June 2011 - 01:04 PM

I'm doing an IT internship this summer and luckily the company I work for has a subsidiary that specializes in IT, including software development. I've met a number of people from there and am fairly confident I'll be working there next summer.

Anyways, I've noticed that almost everyone in Director/Manager positions have a Masters in something and I've also heard people who major in an engineering field during undergrad and then go on to a masters program are usually very successful. Plus I heard something like professionals with a Masters earn 40-60% more. I was wondering what you all thought of this. My dad experienced and warned me of a situation like this, where I'd have to choose where I want to take my career.

Option 1: Become a developer, hopefully an architect later in the career. Absolutely no shame in that and will certainly provide for you family. It would be awesome to be an architect and have a team working with me/under me. The only problem for me in that position is I have a drive to be a boss; I don't like having someone above me constantly having me do work for them.

Option 2: Stay in school for another few years and get my MBA. This will allow for a substantial pay raise and also allow opportunities for leadership in a company. Also, a lot of people I've talked to have said that if you have the drive and desire to stay in school for that long it is not uncommon to get your Masters education funded from various places (school, work, etc.) There's a little bit of complication there for me... I want to be my own boss, but I'm not sure how excited I'd be to be a Director because so far I appreciate the technical side more than the management side.

Anyways, I just wanted to see how people felt about Masters degrees.
Thanks!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: MBA?

#2 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: MBA?

Posted 28 June 2011 - 01:31 PM

Well there's a different between an MBA and a Masters of Comp Sci, right? The former is business orientated and the latter is more complex theory of the subject matter.

I am of the vein that get your undergrad (and if need be your post grad masters) out of the way first. Then go out and get some grounding in the work force and then make that jump to MBA or not. Heck most MBA programs require a resume of work experience to get in!

There's no need to be an "either/or" situation.

I don't like having someone above me constantly having me do work for them.

Then go start your own company!

I want to be my own boss, but I'm not sure how excited I'd be to be a Director because so far I appreciate the technical side more than the management side.

Well there's an issue there. Being your own boss is done in degrees unless you are the director/owner/cio/ceo/vp/p character. Honestly I get an uneasy feeling from your comments about your hate for anyone to be above you.

You know you can get 'leadership in a company' without a degree, right?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 28 June 2011 - 02:28 PM

Depending on where you look, people say that masters degrees are necessarily worth the time and money it takes to get them. Because I am on the last leg to getting my bachelor's, I have also been entertaining the idea of getting a masters degree. I think that I would want one just for my personal satisfaction. However, it seems to me that experience in the computer field is paramount -- a master's degree just might be one of the things that sounds nice on your resume. A lot of employers that I have seen either want a person with a bachelor's degree and a couple years experience, or if the person doesn't have the same amount of experience as a person with a bachelor's, they will accept someone with a masters and less experience. If I was you, I would wait and see how you like your job before you decide about going for your masters. As you get more experience, you might find that you don't really need it, or you might find just the opposite and decide you'd like to have it. Rather than having an either/or situation, you could even go to work full time and just pursue a masters part-time - that way you'll be getting both the experience and the degree. That's what I'm going to do, but like I said, I just want a masters degree for the satisfaction of having it (plus my company will pay for it, so I haven't much to lose!).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 28 June 2011 - 02:34 PM

I knew that, I was interested in the business aspect of it. The only problem with not getting it right after undergrad is the number of stories I hear about people who coulda/woulda/shoulda gotten their masters but after starting their career they never did. I don't want my career to be limited by only an average level of education.

It's not that I hate having people above me, I should have said
"I hate having the wrong people above me." I suppose I'm afraid of being involved with a boss I don't like and it seems like a lot of people get into management positions just by the Masters on their resume. I've always thought I could reach a leadership position after proving myself, but seeing that nearly all directors/managers at the the company I'm at now have Masters I was just considering it. I guess I need to figure out if I am the type for a director/manager/ceo/etc. position.

Ps. I never said "hate" in my post
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 29 June 2011 - 11:56 AM

I've got the same problem. Though I'm considering getting a Ph.D.. Which just means any social life ends lol. Generally over here, everyone has a bachelor's. Which made me aim for a master's. Just to be different. I think the Ph.D. just sounds good :P

My lecturer has told me about funding they put aside for research, so staying a bit longer and getting your master's could also pay...If your institute has those types of research projects. Thus giving you a little capital for any business ideas. He got somewhere around $ 100 000 about 10 years ago. So it seems viable...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1