7 Replies - 4209 Views - Last Post: 15 February 2007 - 01:13 PM

• Pirate Medic
  • member icon

• View blog

question with seting up a Proxy or other Dialup ICS

Posted 12 February 2007 - 09:09 AM

Here is the scene I am trying to share out a 56k external modem and set up a windows box as a proxyserver.

Equipment on hand Wireless router (D link di-713p it is supposed to dial up using an external modem however I cannot get the damn thing to dial or connect)

External Modem USRobotics 56k (choose one x2 one v.90 and one v.92)

1 windows xp desktop that will be the proxy with a wired ethernet port and a wireless card

1 windows xp laptop with a wireless card

and the kicker a new Imac with Airport (wireless card)

I can run the router just as an AP or run the wireless as adhoc

windows internet connection sharing is right out unless they shair more ports then they used to

Cost needs to be free or have a fully functional trial before I buy some proxy software.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: question with seting up a Proxy or other Dialup ICS

• Pirate Medic
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: question with seting up a Proxy or other Dialup ICS

Posted 12 February 2007 - 11:13 AM

What did everyone else forget how to do this too?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dirty Technophile
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 February 2007 - 11:48 AM

Ouch, I would have to think about brining a proxy into the equation. I use to have a 56k network with WIFI back in the day... Good Times.

Unless your just trying to share your 56k over a network? That's pretty simple, disable DHCP on the router and use Windows ICS as your DHCP server and share the connection.

I'm a little confused on where the Proxy server comes in, unless your trying to set up like a VPN or something...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pirate Medic
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 February 2007 - 01:35 PM

the only thing I could find any documentation on was setting up a proxy server. Basically I dug in to my box of old crap and came up with 4 modems and the router (that supposidly supports regular modems) however when I enable ICS in windows I cannot get anything to connect to the internet even the computer that I have configured as the "server"

and the other kicker is that I want to add that new Mac that should be in by this weekend into the mix as well. (how come I feel like im rocking it out circa 1998)

Oh and I have never gotten windows ICS running properly. (it was one of those guilty little things that i dont admit that often.)

I downloaded some new firmware for the di-713 that some think fix bugs with modems

and I also have a copy of CCproxy and freeProxy and a cheap dial up account that dosent require specalized software. (unlike people PC and netzero)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pirate Medic
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 February 2007 - 09:36 AM

well either the DI-713 is toasting or there is something I am missing setting up the dialup connection. I think the device is suspect personally since it was acting funny when we had DSL before we moved.

I flashed the firmware to the most current version to try to aleviate my issues however the thing dials up handshakes and that is when I dont get anything else from it and it says dial up failed.

Tonight I am going to try a software proxy.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pirate Medic
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 February 2007 - 01:28 PM

Ok I was overlooking the internet explorer setting to use a proxy so I screwed the pooch on that one. However all 3 XP boxes are up and running over a piss poor dial up connection. so the first thing i did was order Sat internet from hughes at $100 a month for 15 months. I figured that with my 4000ms pings over dialup that 1000ms Vsat pings would be like a T3 straight into my head.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dirty Technophile
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 February 2007 - 12:10 PM

Yeah, I hear good things about HugesNet now that they were bought back from DirecWay.

Online games may not be an option but the service should be overall reliable.

I've also heard great things about WildBlue - http://wildblue.com/
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pirate Medic
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 February 2007 - 01:13 PM

Actually it was supporting 2 users out in the middle of nowhere that got me thinking about Sat again. One had wild blue and over a VPN connection there was a noticable lag when controlling their desktop. The hughes guy had damn near DSL response. There has been some discussion on DSL report's that you can play MMORPG's with a VSAT it is just the 1000ms ping will get you killed in a FPS.

Ill try it out with my old copy of guildwars and see how playable it actually is. But being able to view net 2.0 content will be a big plus. Hello Youtube and the TV on demand from the networks.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1