Concepts, theories, ideas?

Page 1 of 1

12 Replies - 3878 Views - Last Post: 25 April 2007 - 08:46 AM Rate Topic: -----

• Epic Awesomeness
  • member icon

• View blog

connecting two computers

Posted 13 February 2007 - 10:38 PM

I'm looking for a simple program (that i can make myself) that will allow me to connect my computer to my laptop and do simple file transfers b/w them..I would later like to implement a chat function into it as well, so that I can be on my computer and my gf be on my laptop and be able to talk to her or send files over the connection

info:
im on campus, and I am connected through LAN but my computer doesnt recognize the laptop as being part of lan, so i jsut want to write a program that lets me do the above.

i've been pondering ideas but havent come up with anything relevant yet. this topic is about any concepts theories or ideas that anyone may have...Languages that I'm willing to use include VB.Net (2003, 2005) or C++ (ps. batch programming, console programming is also accepted)

Thanks in advance for help

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: connecting two computers

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: connecting two computers

Posted 14 February 2007 - 05:31 AM

If you use MS XP: start > programs > accessories > files and settings transfer wizard could work. Or be lazy like I did and sign them both into msn and send the files o_0
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Epic Awesomeness
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 February 2007 - 12:08 PM

I was actually more interested in writting some kind of program to do that for me where it knows the source IP and then you input the destination IP and file name that you want to send.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 February 2007 - 04:43 PM

View Postmattman059, on 14 Feb, 2007 - 12:08 PM, said:

I was actually more interested in writting some kind of program to do that for me where it knows the source IP and then you input the destination IP and file name that you want to send.

well.. you could do that in practically any programming language..
there are however two i use for internet conections and stuff, c# and delphi.
C#.net has an express edition, so its "free" (whatever that means for billy),
so does c++.net...
Delphi has AMAZING components for that sort off thing, i think the chat functino is already implemented as a base component. I would however do something different with threads, but thats your choise, any off them would work.. what i dont understand is your problem with your schools LAN..

This post has been edited by horacio: 14 February 2007 - 04:44 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Epic Awesomeness
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 February 2007 - 09:17 PM

my problem is two fold:

1) my computer doesnt recognize my laptop as even existing
2) i dont trust the people in my building enough to let them see my stuff. So i only want to connect my laptop -> desktop and vice versa.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 February 2007 - 06:12 AM

View Postmattman059, on 14 Feb, 2007 - 09:17 PM, said:

my problem is two fold:

1) my computer doesnt recognize my laptop as even existing
2) i dont trust the people in my building enough to let them see my stuff. So i only want to connect my laptop -> desktop and vice versa.

aha.. ok.. number two has an easy solution: once yout laptop is "seen" by your desktop you could simply choose not to share your files and/or drives and your set, they are not going to be able to se...
second: i dont know how youve connected your desktop to the LAN, so it is possible that the ip address is a fixed one(i dont really think so, but it is a possibility) if that is the case then you would have to ask the systems admin to set you up an address for your laptop. i asume every option is set correctly in your network settings menu..
it would be very helpfull if you explain exactly how you connect your laptop and desktop computer...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Epic Awesomeness
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 February 2007 - 07:35 AM

its very simple to explain:

Desktop: 14ft Cat5 cable going into the network jack in the wall
Laptop: 100ft Cat5 cable going into the network jack in the wall

campus offers wireless internet (but good luck trying to find a hotspot)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 February 2007 - 08:30 AM

View Postmattman059, on 15 Feb, 2007 - 07:35 AM, said:

its very simple to explain:

Desktop: 14ft Cat5 cable going into the network jack in the wall
Laptop: 100ft Cat5 cable going into the network jack in the wall

campus offers wireless internet (but good luck trying to find a hotspot)

aha.. then it is possible that the settings arent ok in your laptop.. however have you tried to connect both with a cable without using the wall jack?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Epic Awesomeness
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 February 2007 - 06:17 AM

not quite sure how i would go about doing that. computers are on opposite sides of the room...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• g+ + -o drink whiskey.cpp
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 February 2007 - 06:51 AM

I think he's asking if you have tried a direct connection. Plug one into the other directly.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 19 February 2007 - 05:58 AM

View PostAmadeus, on 16 Feb, 2007 - 06:51 AM, said:

I think he's asking if you have tried a direct connection. Plug one into the other directly.

exactly.. thanks Amadeus, english is not really my first language.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 March 2007 - 09:59 AM

yes you could juse find a fire wire cable and you can transfer data between them. you can get thum for 100 ft i belive. or if you can write a program to save a file on shared documents on then have another program at the other end put it on its hard drive then delete the file when your done(so other people can't see your files) depending on the file size the file could be accesible by other people for maybe all of 1 seconds for a word file maybe up to 5 minutes for a 500 mb movie. but it would work. you could write that in almost any language. (that would work really well for chating between them because you would just save a txt file that says what you last typed then it would be deleted. ( i set a little chat for my wireless network at home.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 April 2007 - 08:46 AM

Networking requires a few things to get it to work.
1) Hardware
2) NIC (Network Interface Card) drivers
3) Address cooperation (DHCP or Static)
4) Naming conventions (DNS) contingent on whether you are using DHCP or Static addressing.
5) Application and/or Operating System (programs) setup.

Lets start with #1. You have 2 Network cards and they are plugged into the wall. If there is a single hub or switch on the other side of the wall, where they are plugged into as individual computers, that will be fine. If not, you can just use a crossover cable (cat5) to connect the two computers directy together. Using a crossover cable is not a very good choice, for standard operations, as you will see later.

If you are connecting across campus, chances are that the two computers are on different subnets. This thows a wrench in finding computer you are networking to. You might be able to use the services from dyndns.org, but if the computers are on different subnets, and inside of networks that use NAT (Network Address Translation) at the gatways you are pretty much screwed. There is chance that this is the case. The only option in that case is to set up port forwarding on the gateways, not a very likely option.

If you are using a crossover network cable, you will need to setup static addresses for each machine, rather than using the DHCP addresses assigned to you by your DHCP Server. Setting up static addresses is fine, but they will need to be changed back to DHCP when you want to use the Internet. (This makes static addressing and using crossover cables into not a very good choice.) You can do this from Start | Settings | Network Connections | (right click) Local Area Connection | Properties | General | Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) | Properties. Typicaly you can use like 192.168.5.2 and 192.168.5.3, or 10.10.10.2 and 10.10.10.3.

You more than likely have #2 taken care of.

So lets move on to #3 and run some tests and find out what is realy going on here.
On both computers, open your DOS Shell by going to Start | Run, and type in:
cmd

Inside the shell type in:
ipconfig /all

Check to see if the two computers are using the same "Default Gateway".
Write down the IP Address for both computers.

(Lets say I am trying to find 159.105.46.159)
Now try to find the other computer by typing in:
ping 159.105.46.159

This should give you the result of 4 replies from the other computer, something like:
"Reply from 159.105.46.159: bytes=32 time..."

If all this works, and you have the same gateway address things are looking good. Even if you don't have the same gateway address, but you can find the other computer using this method, things are looking good.

If you cannot get this far, it's back to the drawing board. Keep trying the above steps until it works, or you can verify that it will never work. If it will never work, I guess you can use a Firewire cable like Orangeslide8 is suggesting.

I am not going to go into #4 unless you get through #1, #2 & #3, everything is working and you still have questions.
I think you have already started to settle #5, and I won't be able to help you on that one.

This post has been edited by ajwsurfer: 25 April 2007 - 09:07 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1