9 Replies - 23935 Views - Last Post: 28 July 2011 - 05:35 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

2D Game Engine using Visual C#

Posted 25 July 2011 - 11:26 PM

We're about to start to create a 2D game engine for our thesis. We plan on using Visual C# to make this one. One of the software that we're using as basis is the Game Maker, although a much more simpler version. I want to know if there are any previous studies relating to development of 2D game engine or any guidelines that may aid us in our thesis. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: 2D Game Engine using Visual C#

• Dovakiin, Dragonborn
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: 2D Game Engine using Visual C#

Posted 26 July 2011 - 01:00 AM

This thread is more of a game programming question. Someone should move this tread :). But to answer your question: There are many examples and whatnot laying around this place, some are dedicated to DirectX or SDL or evel OpenGL. There is a thread pinned to the top of the game programming forum stating a large list of tools and resources that have proved more than helpful in my game development quests :)

I hope this helps,

Thanks,
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 July 2011 - 01:52 AM

Also it may be worth looking into XNA and see how Microsoft did it. XNA seems pretty good, and should provide some direction of the way a game framework is laid out and how the classes interact with each other.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dovakiin, Dragonborn
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 July 2011 - 02:52 AM

Haha I totally forgot about XNA. I don't use it so I re-frame it from my mind :P But there are a couple of great sites out there dedicated to XNA and DirectX. The best one I can think of at the moment is Riemers XNA/DirectX Tutoral Site. He has written a lot of chapters using C++/C# for XNA and DirectX. This is where I started my DirectX quest. These are valuable lessons he teaches and his methods are down to earth :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 26 July 2011 - 05:22 PM

Oops, I didn't know I posted on the wrong forum. Sorry, I'm just new here hahaha. But thanks for the suggestions! I'll be looking on the game programming forum and the link that you've given me. Thanks again to both of you!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Saucy!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 July 2011 - 05:24 PM

Moved to Game Programming
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 26 July 2011 - 05:51 PM

Have you looked into open source game engines? Open source is your best bet because it allows you to see implementations of what drives the game as well as the actual game code. Another route would be to look into game modding, where tools exist to extend commercial games.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Like a lollipop
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 July 2011 - 04:46 AM

I personally find FlatRedBall the easiest engine that i have ever used. its free the tutorials on the site are very good. it uses XNA the tutorials are in C# you can make screens and units pretty easy using PositionedObjects. If you want to start making games this engine will help you get the basics pretty fast

This post has been edited by NoBrain: 27 July 2011 - 04:47 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 27 July 2011 - 06:55 AM

View PostNoBrain, on 27 July 2011 - 12:46 PM, said:

I personally find FlatRedBall the easiest engine that i have ever used. its free the tutorials on the site are very good. it uses XNA the tutorials are in C# you can make screens and units pretty easy using PositionedObjects. If you want to start making games this engine will help you get the basics pretty fast

ARES looks awesome! Very nice.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Like a lollipop
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 July 2011 - 05:35 PM

If you have time you should check how it works. The collision objects have visible representation a square for example. Also i can show a pics of a space game that i have made for like 2-3 hours. PositionObjects rocks you can make PositionObjectList which calls the destroy method of every PositionObject that been removed from the list thus disposing the object like sprites and collision objects you may use. Inbuild collision detection with mass(for example only using one method you can make some object to move other on the screen). Also you cant change screens without disposing all objects that are used in the screen which is pretty nice if you dont have the practice to clean after your self. It also have this thing called Glue which is drag and drop thing but i generally hate this kind of things. Yet as i mentioned before its simple engine nothing like UDK but it will help any newbie to get the basics pretty fast if he want to learn.

This post has been edited by NoBrain: 28 July 2011 - 05:38 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1