• Last »

79 Replies - 15575 Views - Last Post: 22 August 2011 - 07:13 PM

#1 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Games, Graphs, and Auctions
  • member icon

• View blog

Fall Semester

Post icon  Posted 04 August 2011 - 07:04 AM

It's getting to be that time of the year again. What classes is everyone taking this semester? Anything you're looking forward to? Share your thoughts about the upcoming semester.

This semester for me takes care of the majority of the prerequisite courses then I can get into the fun stuff. I've got:
-1114 Linear Algebra
-1224 Vector Geometry
-2305 Physics I
-1024 General Engineering
-2005 Economics
-2114 Data Structures I (tentatively)

If there's a placement exam, I'll be able to hopefully pick up Computer Organization instead of Data Structures I.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Fall Semester

• Gentleman of Leisure
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Fall Semester

Posted 04 August 2011 - 07:09 AM

Actually going back to school starting this semester but still need to meet with my Academic advisor to see what I can take. Probably going to get a cert then off to work on my Masters somewhere.

Might take some business classes this time round, not sure yet.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 August 2011 - 07:10 AM

Sounds like fun! What are you going for a Masters in?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 04 August 2011 - 07:17 AM

I have a Coop for 6 months to gain work experience. Then in March - August 2012 I begin classes again :(

In march I have:

Linear Algebra
CS 270 Math. Foundations of Comp Science
Physics III
Social Studies Elective
Business Elective (minoring in business)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 August 2011 - 07:39 AM

My classes this (fall) semester:
ATOC 3300-001 Anly/Clmate & Weather Ob (aka Upper Division Science)
CSCI 3287-001 Databases Info Systems
CSCI 3308-010 Software Eng Methods and Tools
CSCI 4448-001 Object-Oriented Anlysis/Design
CSCI 4839-001 User-Centered Design
HUEN 3100-004 Humanities for Engineers 1 (aka Upper Division Writing)

It is going to be an 18 credit semester, but afterwards I'll have all but my Senior Projects course done in CS and just need 3 more humanities (12 credits) (1 more of which is upper division) and maybe a science class or two (I believe I'll need 4 more science credits) and 11 credits of anything.

Basically here is my current breakdown: I have 68 credits (that puts me 8 credits ahead of the standard junior). I need 124 credits to graduate. By the end of this semester I will have (hopefully) 86 credits (11 ahead). Here's the catch, I am wait-listed in two of the above classes. One of them I know has enough spots (it is a classroom with 60 seats, but they only enrolled 40 students) and the other one I should be able to get into (I think I am something like wait list number 7) so that shouldn't be a problem... theoretically. My plan is to take a second 18 credit semester for spring, which will bring me up to 104, which leaves 20 credits for senior year (though I'll be taking at least 24 credits to stay a "full time" student).

So, that is probably a lot more information than you wanted to know about my college plans, lol. But it is now open for public viewing :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Gentleman of Leisure
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 August 2011 - 07:39 AM

Not sure. My B.S. is in Individual Studies with an emphasis on Computer Technology.

I have over 150 Credit Hours because I was a dual major in Computer Science and Criminal Justice and decided on the Individualized Study degree.

Was thinking of maybe going the business route to support the Computer background. I am already an IT professional so the business side might help support roles in Project Management, IT Management or something else making the big bucks :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 04 August 2011 - 07:44 AM

I have:

Algorithm analysis and design

Graduation

But if the people in the admin building can pull their shit together I'll add a postgrad for the semester and get started on my comp sci MS.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 August 2011 - 07:45 AM

Taking, what I feel, is a pretty light load fall semester (but I'm also working):
- Algorithm analysis
- Discrete math 2
- Prob & stats for CS
- Computer architecture
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 August 2011 - 07:45 AM

Off the top of my head I have:

AI programming using C++ (and hopefully using Direct X).
Computer ethics (or something like that).
Commercial video games (basically being in a group tasked to make a full game).
Post production (learning about how to do trailers and adding audio et etc).
Final year computing project (self explanatory, will most likely use .NET for mine).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#10 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 August 2011 - 07:52 AM

@BetaWar: The Software Engineering and OOD classes sound like fun. Database sounds pretty dry. Sounds like you're on a fun track though.

@Nykc: Good luck with the project management. You have far more patience than I to be able to sit through those classes. Paperwork and being responsible for other people pulling their weight scares me. So much as the thought of being physically organized is scary enough. :)

For me, I came in with 29 credits thanks to AP exams, and I placed out of a semester of English thanks to the SAT. Discrete Math has a placement exam (read- the final exam) I can take with the rest of the class at the end of the semester. And if I can pull of Data Structures I, that makes for 38 credits, equivalent to my freshman year. Unfortunately, the 4000 Cryptography course conflicted with Physics. It was the only undergrad math class that didn't have Vector Geometry or Discrete Math as a prereq. But hopefully I can take that next semester, as well as Calc 3 and Graph Theory/Combinatorics. Having the Econ major complementing CS takes care of most of my remaining general eds. If I play it right, I could pull both of those degrees off in three years.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I wrote you an code
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 August 2011 - 09:25 AM

Decent schedule, you shouldn't have a problem with any of the courses.

View Postmacosxnerd101, on 04 August 2011 - 10:04 AM, said:

This semester for me takes care of the majority of the prerequisite courses then I can get into the fun stuff. I've got:
-1114 Linear Algebra : Easy (but the Math Empo sucks)
-1224 Vector Geometry : Easy (but the Math Empo sucks)
-2305 Physics I : Easy
-1024 General Engineering : Stupid
-2005 Economics : Yay
-2114 Data Structures I (tentatively) : Easy

Who do you have for the courses? Looks like a full semester. If you have any idea what you want to end up with for your electives for CS, I recommend scheduling for them spring of Sophomore year, since the cool electives alternate every other year and you don't want to miss them.

When/if you get around to taking software engineering, try to hit it in the fall. Balci will cancel class for football games.

Also, have you picked up a physics lab? They're particular about the length of time between the lecture and the lab if I recall.

This post has been edited by xclite: 04 August 2011 - 09:28 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#12 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 August 2011 - 10:18 AM

Vector Geometry I believe is tentatively with an instructor? Linear Algebra says math emporium on my schedule, but Vector Geometry says Staff instead. It sucks that it's a prereq for Calc 3, though. For Econ I have Trost; it looks like a 300-400 person lecture hall course. From what I understand, they spend more time beating around a derivative than anything else. Seems easy enough. For Data Structures, I have Allevato. I did get the Physics lab as well. It sucks, b/c Physics is a 9 AM Monday-Wednesday-Friday class for lecture, I have lab on Wednesday for two more hours, then I have an extra hour at the end of the day Friday.

For electives, I'll probably hit:
-Numerical Methods for the math, even though it's a FORTRAN class
-GUI and Graphics programming for more on the image transformations and manipulations
-4104 Data and Algorithm Analysis
-4114 Formal Languages
-4234 Parallel Computing
-4254 Networking and Programming (a known gap for me)

Possibly some more if I get the time, and I'll try to start scheduling the fun CS classes next semester. The BS in Econ really only requires a handful of classes, so that's easy to knock out. Plus at some point, I'll take the Mathematical Proofs class to work on that, then try and take the 5000 Graph Theory course at some point.

I haven't looked closely at Software Engineering, but I'll keep that in mind! Thanks for the heads up!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Gentleman of Leisure
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 August 2011 - 11:46 AM

@Mac thanks...

Not that I want to do Project Management but they tend to give you more compensation when you can show a broader skill set. I am fine with being a code monkey.

Actually I work in a Perl shop and I have taken it upon myself to study and learn Perl. That will up my net worth as well.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 August 2011 - 12:08 PM

Information Systems 2
Programming with Java
Unix Systems
Micro Economics
Business Communications
Web Administration 2

I think it's 18 hours if I recall correctly, probably dropping a class though.

Right now I have 94 hours, though I'm stalling graduation for a while to stay in track.

This post has been edited by Lemur: 04 August 2011 - 12:10 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I wrote you an code
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 August 2011 - 12:47 PM

View Postmacosxnerd101, on 04 August 2011 - 01:18 PM, said:

Vector Geometry I believe is tentatively with an instructor? Linear Algebra says math emporium on my schedule, but Vector Geometry says Staff instead. It sucks that it's a prereq for Calc 3, though. For Econ I have Trost; it looks like a 300-400 person lecture hall course. From what I understand, they spend more time beating around a derivative than anything else. Seems easy enough. For Data Structures, I have Allevato. I did get the Physics lab as well. It sucks, b/c Physics is a 9 AM Monday-Wednesday-Friday class for lecture, I have lab on Wednesday for two more hours, then I have an extra hour at the end of the day Friday.

Yeah those two math courses are pretty much self study if you take them during the semester, usually. Allevato, if I recall, is a young graduate teaching assistant. He's a pretty cool guy from what I remember.

Your schedule may suck now, but knocking this stuff out early will be great for later flexibility.

Did you get Chang for Physics 1? Also do you know which residence hall you're in? (apparently it's quiz time).

-Numerical Methods for the math, even though it's a FORTRAN class

Definitely an interesting class. I eschewed it in favor of Programming Languages, but I think the requirements have changed now anyway.

-GUI and Graphics programming for more on the image transformations and manipulations
No comment, I never took this.

-4104 Data and Algorithm Analysis

I loved this class - I had Shaffer.

-4114 Formal Languages

Class sounds interesting, avoid Liqing Zhang like the motherfucking plague.

-4234 Parallel Computing

I hear this one is challenging, but fun.

-4254 Networking and Programming (a known gap for me)

I'm also super week in this area, but didn't get the chance to take it. My senior electives were Cyber Security (EASY), Database Systems (ok, but I really didn't want to be there)

I haven't looked closely at Software Engineering, but I'll keep that in mind! Thanks for the heads up!

Unless they changed this part of the curriculum, you're stuck choosing between a 3xxx software engineering course and a 3xxx human-computer interaction course. I got annoyed by the projects within 10 minutes of HCI, so I swapped into software engineering. I hated that too, but less.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• (6 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »