• +

37 Replies - 5689 Views - Last Post: 14 April 2019 - 12:26 AM

• Writing Lines

• View blog

Re: What are everyone's favorite IDEs?

Posted 28 August 2011 - 10:06 PM

View PostNickDMax, on 29 August 2011 - 03:13 AM, said:

Parameters: -s4aNSCwMfxpc --mode=c -n "%d%f"

How do you know what the parameters are?

Do you use any IDE for writing code or do you use a notepad?
If so, please tell me which one you use.

Thanks.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Can grep dead trees!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 August 2011 - 10:15 PM

Well for me it depends upon what I am doing. For most of my C/C++ stuff here on DIC I use Programmer's Notepad. Sometimes I do use VS when the setup with the notepad is too complicated (various libraries such as FLTK which I have been unsuccessful in getting it to work from the command line) or libraries that only have a VS project file.

For Java I use the Eclipse IDE. For Python I use a notepad. For Haskel I used the notepad. For HTML/Javascript I tend to use Eclipse (although I do a lot of work in firebug with JS).

So really I would say that what I use depends upon the requirements of what I am doing. The larger the project the more structure I need so I used an IDE for its features such as different projects integration with source control, intelisense-type of contextual help etc.

For little one-off programs I do here on DIC I use a notepad.

As for the format string. Like I said, you read the documentation that comes with Astyle. If you want you can just use one of its "defaults" like -A2 or something but I customized mine to meet my style a little better.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Writing Lines

• View blog

Posted 28 August 2011 - 10:42 PM

So I just downloaded astyle and extracted it's contents from a zip. It's in my downloads. What do I need to do now?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#19 jimblumberg   User is online

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 August 2011 - 05:41 AM

View Posthulla, on 29 August 2011 - 12:42 AM, said:

So I just downloaded astyle and extracted it's contents from a zip. It's in my downloads. What do I need to do now?

What operating system are you using? Which compiler? Are you trying to install it inside your IDE? If so which IDE?

If you are using Code::Blocks there is a plugin available and may already be installed. Check under the Plugins menu. If you don't see the plugin click on the Manage plugins and activate it.

Jim
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Writing Lines

• View blog

Posted 29 August 2011 - 06:15 AM

Oh thank you. Yeah it was in the plugins menu of Code::Blocks. Thanks for your time as well Nick.

:)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 30 August 2011 - 05:29 AM

Personally, I prefer creating a custom development space on a Linux system, using vim or gedit for file editing, make and bash for control, and gdb for C as a debugger, although it can be a real pain to use :) I guess I like writing everything from scratch every time.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 31 August 2011 - 05:27 PM

I like Visual Studio 2008, I think its very intuitive and has a great debugger, Its more confusing then say Dev C++ which I've also used and I've been moving away from because once you get over the learners curve with it its simply amazing
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 31 August 2011 - 06:18 PM

Visual Studio 2010, because I know it best.

Frankly the setting windows have stayed pretty much the same since VC++ 6, so its like nicely worn glove for me. Plus, the debugger is easily the best I have used.

I also want to put in a negative vote for Eclipse. I recently used Eclipse for a Android project ( granted Java at the time ), but the IDE itself just lead to sooooooooo many problems. I tied Eclipse --clean far too many times. Additionally, the C++ support is pretty half arsed.

I played around recently with Codeblocks and it has potential, but I saw no reason to use it over Visual Studio. On my Mac im using XCode 4 and im iffy on it. Granted I haven't really gotten that far into it.

If I was working mostly off the Windows platform with GCC, I would highly consider NetBeans, it seems very intuitive and complete. Too bad Oracle now owns it, Oracle makes some of the worst tools in the known universe and will no doubt screw up Java and NetBeans eventually.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Writing Lines

• View blog

Posted 01 September 2011 - 12:47 AM

I use CodeBlocks and stopped using MSVC++ because it took two minutes for me to run the application. No joke or exaggeration. CodeBlocks takes 10 seconds for me. I don't know what was wrong with my MSVC++ and would have inquired if I hadn't learned about CodeBlocks. :)

CodeBlocks is so easy for me to use too. The one thing MSVC++ has that CodeBlocks doesn't is the drop-down of header
suggestions when you type #include < . . . :(
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• spelling expret
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 September 2011 - 05:29 AM

code::blocks has that, it only works for headers you have included in your project though. still MSVC is WAY to heavy, i agree. i would say the main distinguishing feature is the debugger. it's so easy to use the MSVC debugger and it's so powerful. codeblocks has some integration of GDB but it's minimal.

This post has been edited by ishkabible: 01 September 2011 - 05:31 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 01 September 2011 - 05:55 AM

Are you running on an old machine by chance? Using my install of VS2010 and the C++ project I am currently working on it took 4 seconds to load the project, about 6 seconds to launch my app with F5 ( with debugging ) and 2 seconds to launch with CTRL+F5 ( no debugging ). Setting a breakpoint on my first line of code and executing in debug took an additional 3 seconds on the first launch.

2 minutes is seriously messed up, unless of course you are talking an absolutely massive project? Hell, even my primary solution which is composed of over 30 project files and a little over 100k lines of code doesn't take that long to COMPILE and run!

Are you running any add-ons or oddball extensions? I would recommend trying devenv /resetsettings /resetskippkgs and seeing if your IDE gets any faster.

Unless of course you are running a RAM starved computer, in which case, well duh! ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• spelling expret
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 September 2011 - 06:00 AM

i think he is referring to start up time. it takes about a minute or 2 for MSVC++ to start up on my computer where as code::blocks can load in a few seconds. also 6 seconds to launch an application is ridicules if you ask me, i can click run in code::blocks and it runs within a second. unless you include compile time in which case it could take around 6 seconds or it could take more if your project is large enough.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 01 September 2011 - 06:30 AM

View Postishkabible, on 01 September 2011 - 06:00 AM, said:

i think he is referring to start up time. it takes about a minute or 2 for MSVC++ to start up on my computer where as code::blocks can load in a few seconds. also 6 seconds to launch an application is ridicules if you ask me, i can click run in code::blocks and it runs within a second. unless you include compile time in which case it could take around 6 seconds or it could take more if your project is large enough.

I blame the 6 seconds mostly on the library I am currently using ( SFML ), it seems to have a fair bit of initialization code to get through, even run outside the IDE it is "slow" to start up.

I still don't get the loading speeds, 2 minutes is insane even for start up time. I just launched my sln and it took about 2 seconds for Visual Studio to open, then another 3 or 4 seconds to load the project. The only time it takes minutes is when it needs to rebuild the precompiled headers for example. I would still posit something is wrong with your configuration if Visual Studio is taking 2 minutes to load.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Writing Lines

• View blog

Posted 01 September 2011 - 07:17 AM

Yes I'm talking about the time taken to run MSVC++ itself. Not compilation. :) If it was compilation, I would take more action.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• >>──(Knee)──►
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 September 2011 - 05:55 AM

You should have created a poll for this mate! :D Personally I use both CodeBlocks and VS, although I mainly use CodeBlocks because I prefer the portability of the GNU GCC compiler.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (3 Pages)
  • +