6 Replies - 38529 Views - Last Post: 26 August 2011 - 08:53 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Tips for doing good in computer science classes

Posted 16 August 2011 - 08:53 AM

With another school year starting soon, I just wanted to know any tips on how to do good in a computer science class. I have a vague idea of exactly what the courses will be teaching right now or even what language. Here are the course descriptions of what i will be taking.

"Order notations, the greedy method, job scheduling, correctness, exchange argument, divide and conquer techniques, recurrence equations, the master method, integer multiplications, dynamic programming, matrix chain-product, the knapsack problem, graph algorithms (minimum spanning trees, single-source shortest paths, all-pairs shortest paths), text processing and pattern matching techniques, approximation algorithms."

"Introduction to data structures and algorithms. Topics may include ADTs, restricted lists (stacks and queries), generalized lists, trees, searching, sorting, hashing, graphs, algorithm design, complexity analysis, recursion."

"Implementation of database information systems. Topics include database concepts, data modeling, relational model, normal forms (up to 3NF), relational algebra, data entry, table relationships, form design, queries, SQL / QBE programming and report generation. Use of a relational database management system."

"Order notations, the greedy method, job scheduling, correctness, exchange argument, divide and conquer techniques, recurrence equations, the master method, integer multiplications, dynamic programming, matrix chain-product, the knapsack problem, graph algorithms (minimum spanning trees, single-source shortest paths, all-pairs shortest paths), text processing and pattern matching techniques, approximation algorithms."

So any tips on how to be successful in these classes?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Tips for doing good in computer science classes

• NeoTifa Codebreaker, the Scourge of Devtester
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Tips for doing good in computer science classes

Posted 16 August 2011 - 09:39 AM

Don't do like me and start at the last minute.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 16 August 2011 - 10:26 AM

That pretty much sums it up, but to expand a little, make sure you keep up. In any college course, if you fall behind the mountain can pile up really quickly, and it's usually easy to get away with being lazy for a while, but it will bite you in the ass eventually. Get started on your assignments and homework right away, and don't miss anything, even a couple of percent can really hurt you if you find yourself in a tight spot.
And ffs, whatever you do, don't go to the first couple of lectures, think to yourself "I already know all this" and stop going, like so many other people do, because eventually they will move onto stuff you don't already know and you'll be sitting at home playing minecraft.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• NeoTifa Codebreaker, the Scourge of Devtester
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 August 2011 - 12:25 PM

Hell, I do that whether I think I know it or not. ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 macosxnerd101   User is online

• Games, Graphs, and Auctions
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 August 2011 - 02:09 PM

For all of these courses except your databases class, a good knowledge of Graph Theory will go far. I'd brush up on that.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 26 August 2011 - 04:06 PM

To further above, make sure you take into account just how important the theory side of Computer Science truly is. There is no point diving into the course head first with your passion purely in the programming side. If you can set aside some time to break down the theory and wrap your head around it, the programming will fall into place and projects won't seem daunting or unachievable.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 26 August 2011 - 08:53 PM

Definitely start early on projects and don't wait till the last min. Also I would say form a study group or make a discussion group with some ppl in class. Make friends and learn different ways to code. We computer junkies like to sit in our rooms and not interact with people usually...try not to fall into that environment.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1