9 Replies - 2282 Views - Last Post: 28 February 2007 - 07:52 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Resizable Text Area

Posted 26 February 2007 - 10:42 AM

Ok so i used to have thsi code i found on some website that allowed me to resize a text area and it had a transparent background and no border.. Also when i inputed text it created a scrollbar so page stayed fixed and it kept the site looking tidy..

Now i haev since had to reboot my pc and cant find the code again anywhere so thought it best to ask the professionals here.. Nobody has been able to help me so far but i know for a fact it used to exist..

Basically i want to put up news/bios ect on a webpage and not use any frames.. just want a resizable text area that cant be edited by anyone other than the webmaster and allows scrollbars..

Oh can i aslo add that in dreamweaver i could edit the text area (resizing and inout of needed text in design area)

Any help would be greatly appreciated

This post has been edited by KharN: 26 February 2007 - 10:50 AM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Resizable Text Area

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Resizable Text Area

Posted 27 February 2007 - 04:05 PM

My bad.. i thought this was :

Web Development Help

And the members were supposed to do exactly that.. Thanks for nothing..
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Married Life
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 February 2007 - 04:21 PM

Might be that a) they don't know how to do it themselves. b) they making sure their advice/help is valid. or c) you haven't shown enough effort on your part to warrant helping.

My guess is a combination of all three with a nice sized helping of c.

Also your post makes you even less worthy of helping. We do this for free because we want to help people learn. Asking for code that you "lost" makes you look like you're dodging homework.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 28 February 2007 - 01:31 PM

Actually im building a website for a friend.. the reason i stated that it had been lost was because i DID have it therefore i know it exists and other forums i ahev asked on says it doesnt exist ect..

I also cant help other people if im no coder myself.. the best i do is graphical with basic html knowledge.. im no programmer and i signed up to be helped.. And im still learning..

Giving me the code means i can look at it and see exactly how it was created and how it works ect.. therefore enabling me to modify and help others as i progress..

i dont understand how nopt telling me what i need/want to know is going to benefit me or be classed as helping.. im sorry if i sounded rude but i do get frustrated when even web professionals say im making such thigns up when i know for certain they exist..

PS - it isnt rockets science.. yes i dont knwo the code but anybody with average and upwards knowledge of htm.. ect and anyone even so much as classed as a developer/programmer should be able to give me the asnwer.. and help me out..
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• You wish you were my hand!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 February 2007 - 02:42 PM

do you want a div that is able to scroll does that sound right?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Married Life
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 February 2007 - 05:01 PM

Giving me the code means i can look at it and see exactly how it was created and how it works ect.. therefore enabling me to modify and help others as i progress..
That is true. That is also what google is for. We are not google.

i dont understand how nopt telling me what i need/want to know is going to benefit me or be classed as helping.. im sorry if i sounded rude but i do get frustrated when even web professionals say im making such thigns up when i know for certain they exist..
It could help you in class in the fact that you wouldn't need to research it yourself. Granted you are "researching" it now, but you're asking for code, not the ideas that are behind it or a general concept (like how javascript and the DOM work together to change HTML).

I've learned a lot from just looking at code, but I've also learned just as much or more by learning the ideas behind what the code does. If you don't learn that, code ultimately means nothing.

So we here at DIC can help with the ideas of the code and the code itself, but you need to supply the code you've been working on for us to help you with that.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 28 February 2007 - 06:02 PM

View Posthotsnoj, on 28 Feb, 2007 - 05:01 PM, said:

I've learned a lot from just looking at code, but I've also learned just as much or more by learning the ideas behind what the code does. If you don't learn that, code ultimately means nothing.

you just clarified what isaid.. i cant learn from codes i dont have or know..

also im not sure if its a div or anything.. im new to all this and i jsut want a text area i can resize to fite any area i like ANd when i add text (like news or whatever) then it scrolsl so mainpage stays static and text can be browsed by scrolling..

and i cant supply codes i dont know.. i need the code t owork from htere forward.. and i have tried googling it adn nothing is what i need.. they give me nothing but forms..
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Married Life
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 February 2007 - 07:13 PM

You're looking for the "overflow" CSS property to make a div (or any element) have a scroll button for text that doesn't fit in a defined area. (That is an element with a fixed height and width.)

A "textarea" is a form element that is used for multi-line input. That's probably why you're only getting form related results in your searches.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 28 February 2007 - 07:38 PM

ok ill try searchin CSS div ect.. although im pretty sure it wasnt its worth a try.. any other suggestions or even betetr the code itself?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Barbarbar
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 February 2007 - 07:52 PM

Just skimming over what he's mentioning, it sounds like it could be an iframe too.

This post has been edited by girasquid: 28 February 2007 - 11:55 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1