3 Replies - 1182 Views - Last Post: 25 August 2011 - 01:32 PM Rate Topic: ***-- 2 Votes

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Pros and Cons of different types of code?

Posted 24 August 2011 - 10:37 PM

Hello, I'm looking in to different types of programming, and I was wondering what the pros and cons are for each one, or if some are just simply better than the other.
I already have adobe flash, so I have AS3 available to me, but I'm not sure if that will suit my needs in this. I'm looking at pretty much all types. Java, AS3, #C, the works.

In short, what are the upsides and downsides to each type of code? Say, for a 2D RPG game, with multiplayer via LAN? Or, which type of code would be best suited for something like that, and what programs support it?

Thanks.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Pros and Cons of different types of code?

• mov dword[esp+eax],0
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Pros and Cons of different types of code?

Posted 24 August 2011 - 10:45 PM

Generally speaking, for any large-scale, performance-intensive game I would recommend C++.
C# and Java work too, but not nearly as well in my opinion. However they can be much easier to pick up and use.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 August 2011 - 10:53 PM

View PostPlasticineGuy, on 24 August 2011 - 10:45 PM, said:

Generally speaking, for any large-scale, performance-intensive game I would recommend C++.
C# and Java work too, but not nearly as well in my opinion. However they can be much easier to pick up and use.

Hm...alright. Couple more questions going on that, though:

1. Is it possible for AS3 to fulfil that type of task? Considering I already have it. I don't really have a problem switching if necessary.
2. Which programs are best to support C++, C# and Java?
3. I make art in Adobe Flash most of the time. One of the reasons I got it was for animating, artwork and coding. Would I still be able to create and use my artwork in those other programs? I'd assume as pngs, but would that mess with the quality in transfer?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 25 August 2011 - 01:32 PM

You need to think about which platforms you will be targeting for your game before looking to which language to write it in! :dontgetit:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1