13 Replies - 1584 Views - Last Post: 09 October 2011 - 11:58 AM

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

What was your final assignment?

Posted 30 August 2011 - 10:50 AM

Today in my Introduction to Programming using C++, my teacher told us what our final assignment will be. He continued by saying that we will build on it as the semester goes on. We will be making a text based video game. I'm just curious to know did your introductory computer science course do something similar as the final assignment?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: What was your final assignment?

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: What was your final assignment?

Posted 30 August 2011 - 12:16 PM

That's pretty interesting, and I've seen many professors try to explain things in gaming terms to help students understand. Afterall, building a game in your intro class is probably more interesting to you than building a fake bookseller inventory system or something, although it's arguable to consider which is a better demonstration/developer of your programming skills.

In my intro class we had projects that were typically increasingly difficult, but they did not build on top of each other as yours seems to have. We did have a final assignment where we had to develop a class registration program for a college with different types of students and classes (graduate vs. undergrad), but we didn't write a line of code for that assignment until the end.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• NeoTifa Codebreaker, the Scourge of Devtester
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 August 2011 - 12:41 PM

Interresting question, I can't remember what I ate for breakfast, let alone an assignment for a class 4 years ago. Lemme check.... turns out it was a voting ballot program. GAY! Projects 1 & 2 had something to do with painting a Roman basillica, 3 was making shapes with stars, and 4 was mayoral ballot system.

Now in Java 2, our 3rd project was a video game, but I didn't start it until 3 hours before it was due, so it was only 80% done. Still got an A in the class.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 September 2011 - 12:03 PM

View PostNeoTifa, on 30 August 2011 - 12:41 PM, said:

... and 4 was mayoral ballot system.

That was one of our first projects. It's interesting to see these projects span across universities.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 02 September 2011 - 01:18 PM

We had lots of mini-projects. N-body simulator (simulated planetary motion under gravity), and musical instrument simulator were the most memorable to me.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 September 2011 - 01:26 PM

We did an nbody simulator as well. Wow, I never thought there would be that much overlap. None of these were final assignments though :/
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Critical Section
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 September 2011 - 01:45 PM

We did simple assignments in introductory course but I did a simple text game for myself when studying C++. But it is really a good assignment for data structure and algorithm practices
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• NeoTifa Codebreaker, the Scourge of Devtester
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 September 2011 - 04:36 PM

Damn, now I feel retarded. :\ Oh well. To be fair, the kids in my school suck. I went to a programming competition my first year and my partner couldn't even declare a variable. Wtf? I still made 21st out of 85. Not bad for a n00b. Couldn't go 2nd year, and last year I got 16th place out of 95ish. Then again I was up against grad students, to include my TA, who won. Meh.

This post has been edited by NeoTifa: 04 September 2011 - 04:37 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Bloodborne
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 September 2011 - 05:28 PM

We created an ecommerce website. I didn't have time before the presentation to code and my groupmates were all relying on me so I said "screw it", went to ebay, print screened parts I like, patched it all up in Photoshop, then embedded them on html as backgrounds. Nobody knew the whole website was fake. We were the best group. ^^
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 08 September 2011 - 05:47 AM

My Java module had us create a game level editor using only a console application and a text based interface with characters representing different objects on a 10 by 10 grid. The other assignment was to create a boring Student/Lecturer Library and book loan system.

My C++ module on the other hand got us to create a world distance calculator that had us store different countries and their GPS coordinates in a file and got us to calculate the difference between 2 selected countries.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Technophile
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 September 2011 - 07:51 AM

View PostfromTheSprawl, on 05 September 2011 - 01:28 AM, said:

We created an ecommerce website. I didn't have time before the presentation to code and my groupmates were all relying on me so I said "screw it", went to ebay, print screened parts I like, patched it all up in Photoshop, then embedded them on html as backgrounds. Nobody knew the whole website was fake. We were the best group. ^^

I came sooooo close to down repping that! XD

I start University on the 16th, so this thread is interesting even though I cannot contribute yet!
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Bloodborne
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 September 2011 - 05:17 PM

Good luck Shane! ^^

Why the down rep? Hahaha. I knew I could finish it but sadly I don't own a PC and a deadline is due and my groupmates were like ghosts. When they saw me on our day of presentation they were more nervous than me and were asking "Will we present something?"

Heck, my groupmates didn't even have the guts to present even though I made it, so I ended up creating and presenting. I think it's for the best since I knew the website(?) well hahaha
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 13 September 2011 - 11:34 AM

My "Final" for my introductory C++ class was exactly that... a Final. And not only just your average multiple choice/short answer final, a TAKE HOME multiple choice/short answer final.

Yeah, my teacher was horrible. Each class period would be him just reading a chapter out of our book and telling us which exercises from the book that we need to turn in = \
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 09 October 2011 - 11:58 AM

The final project for my C++ class we had to have a singleton camera where you could walk around on a grid, shoot a ball at something and have it blow up into a 'million' particles all with OpenGL.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1