4 Replies - 3924 Views - Last Post: 14 September 2011 - 01:43 PM

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Questioning XNA Game Programming

Posted 10 September 2011 - 02:31 AM

^^ I'm hoping the title will make more people click on this, it could mean a few things!

But basically, i'm interested in learning about XNA and game programming (Would love to make a zelda style adventure game, or a tower defence game!). But I literally have zero knowledge of XNA, so was wondering if someone could answer some questions :)

1. Can someone give me the low-down on XNA.

2. What language do I use to program games in XNA

3. Exactly what programs do I need to program games using XNA?

4. Do I need to be good with graphics to program XNA games?

5. Where would I begin? (Meaning setup and learning by doing)

6. What should I learn to do with regards to XNA game programming before attempting a game?

Um, that's all I can think of for now! :)

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Questioning XNA Game Programming

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Re: Questioning XNA Game Programming

Posted 10 September 2011 - 03:17 AM

Well most of those can be answered by looking here in the XNA Resources List, as for the language you use C# in Visual Studio 2010 which you can find a link to in the resources list along with XNA Game Studio 4.0, which is the latest and the best place to start with. You setup Visual C# 2010 first (the Express Edition is free) and then you install XNA Game Studio 4.0 after you've registered VS.

Basically you don't need to be great with graphics to get anything done in XNA as long as you know where you want your simple graphic picture to go and how to put it there using XNA code. I myself am not a great digital artist let alone a good one so I know how you feel, but I cope because I usually find free resources whenever possible.

That list has a lot of tutorials, but I would recommend any that give you a crash course n using C# if you don't already know the language, plus look for any guides on Object Oriented Programming as this is the main programming structure for XNA. When you're ready to learn XNA I would recommend sticking to 2D graphics until you have made a few tutorial games and a few of your own.

I would check out any tutorial by our resident SixOfEleven on his website.

There are also some starter kits that you can download from the MSDN App Hub, there is a side scrolling Platformer starter kit, a Blackjack card game starter kit, a Game State Management kit for screen handling and menus (I use this as the basis for all my project's menus), a racing game starter and a top down 2D RPG starter kit.

Don't be afraid to ask any of us for help as we have been in your position before and we will be glad to assist you in your XNA endeavours.

This post has been edited by ShadowsEdge19: 10 September 2011 - 03:24 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 11 September 2011 - 02:42 PM

Hi,

In response to your questions:

1. Can someone give me the low-down on XNA.

I believe the post above mine should help with this better than I could.

2. What language do I use to program games in XNA

As far as I'm aware the only language supported is C#, though I've heard there is some kind of support for VB.

3. Exactly what programs do I need to program games using XNA?

All you really need is Visual C# Express (to build and write the code in) and some kind of graphic software - even Paint will probably do if you don't care about the quality of the visuals.

If you're going to make 3D games, you'll need some kind of 3D modelling software.

4. Do I need to be good with graphics to program XNA games?

If you want the graphics to be good, you do - otherwise, you do not.

Of course, if you're not releasing the game for profit you can use spritesheets from professional games and so on.

5. Where would I begin? (Meaning setup and learning by doing)

Rather than giving you several links, I will just point you here:

http://www.xnadevelo...tutorials.shtml

I used this when I was getting started. As the only tutorials listed are very simple ones (and thus, the most useful) it is probably the best starting place.

6. What should I learn to do with regards to XNA game programming before attempting a game?

It is difficult to completely cover this, as each game you set out to make will have a different set of requirements. It also is dependent on how much previous knowledge of programming you have.

For a Zelda style game I would say learning how to make a basic inventory system, damageable enemies and basic tile clipping would be things you'd want to learn first.

I would also say build a limited and simplistic version of the game before you attempt the full thing, as otherwise you will need to learn too much 'on the fly' without being able to experiment as easily.

This post has been edited by ShadowsEdge19: 14 September 2011 - 10:36 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 September 2011 - 07:41 AM

@goat
In your answer to question 3, I believe you meant to say Visual C# Express not Visual Basic Express.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 September 2011 - 01:43 PM

Sure did - and just noticed when I was checking this thread yesterday. Although, at the time I think I was thinking of Visual Studio - for whatever reason, I have mentally associated both as the same thing.

This post has been edited by goat: 14 September 2011 - 01:44 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1