• (2 Pages)
  • +

16 Replies - 1558 Views - Last Post: 11 November 2011 - 07:58 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Masters in comp sci...but not b.s.

Posted 10 November 2011 - 11:45 AM

Hi Guys,

So I am pretty new to your forum (joined in September) but I have been reading some of your topics and posts for a while and you seem like pretty smart people. I am hoping you guys can give me a little advice/insight.

I graduated in May (2011) from a pretty good college in my area with a B.S. in Biomedical Physics. As some of you know, its really hard to get a job without experience and hard to get experience without a job (which is a whole different story), but I was able to get an internship at a pretty big company called ***REDACTED***. I had always planned on returning to school to go to grad school but I first wanted to see what field I really wanted to work in by getting some real world experience. At this job, I have been developing an API and programming this robot for use in medical sonography. I really enjoy this job and decided that I would like to pursue further studies in computer science/engineering.

The problem now comes to applying for grad schools. Since I don't have a B.S. degree in computer science I am afraid that many schools will discount me too quickly. However, I did take several computer science classes in high school (every one my high school had to offer), 2 courses in computer science in college, and 1 logic class in college. I also participated in (and won) county and regional FBLA programming competitions in high school and developed a game for an independent study class.

I have been trying to come up with ways to distinguish myself on applications to grad schools. The only real idea that I came up with was to take the Computer Science GRE in the hopes that a good score would reflect my skills.

Can anyone else give me some advice that would help me?

This post has been edited by JackOfAllTrades: 10 November 2011 - 02:28 PM
Reason for edit:: By request

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 1
  • +

Replies To: Masters in comp sci...but not b.s.

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Masters in comp sci...but not b.s.

Posted 10 November 2011 - 12:33 PM

Even awesomer than sloth's response is that his reputation is so well known to someone with 8 posts.

Posted Image

Spoiler

This post has been edited by BenignDesign: 10 November 2011 - 12:38 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 10 November 2011 - 12:48 PM

View PostBenignDesign, on 10 November 2011 - 12:33 PM, said:

Even awesomer than sloth's response is that his reputation is so well known to someone with 8 posts.

Well just because I don't have many posts doesn't mean I can't read other posts.

Anyway could we please get back to the topic?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 November 2011 - 12:49 PM

You may have read posts, but apparently you weren't paying much attention to where things are posted. If you're looking for a serious response, you're not likely to find it in the Lounge. This is a Corner Cubical or Student Campus topic.

I have the magical ability to move it for you just as soon as you decide where you'd like it to go.

This post has been edited by BenignDesign: 10 November 2011 - 12:50 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 10 November 2011 - 12:55 PM

There was a post started here just a few days ago asking about colleges from Ghostfly, so I saw it as pretty similar but ok. I would appreicate it if you moved it to the Student Campus. Also I believe you can edit posts right? If you could remove the company name for me then the "magical link" will go.

Thank you.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 November 2011 - 01:14 PM

moved to student campus by request. hope you get the answers you're looking for.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#7 xclite   User is online

• I wrote you an code
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 November 2011 - 01:43 PM

So you can apply to graduate school without having the same previous degree, although some schools DO require you to have a B.S. in CS.

You do have an advantage... you've been working in research! That's a big deal, and that's really one of the major deciding factors going in.

I would recommend:
1) Looking for schools that don't require you to have a BS in CS. They might require you to take some "bridge" classes, or undergraduate courses that they feel are necessary to begin graduate studies.
2) If you find a school that doesn't allow you in without a BS, email the researches at the university and see if they'd be willing to work with you - your experience in programming and research as well as your specialized knowledge in other areas are an advantage, and they should want you.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 November 2011 - 01:49 PM

Umm simple.... find a school you want to go to that offers the program you want. Then setup a phone interview with the dean or head of the department to have them evaluate your qualifications. If you are up to the task and think you have enough real world experience to qualify you getting a masters in comp sci without the BS then let them interview you and if they think you are qualified and feel you understand what is going to be asked of you, then they can put you in for acceptance.

I got into a program once through a mandatory interview by the head of the department. Obviously with my awesome skills I was a shoe in... but you can easily do the same.

:)

This post has been edited by Martyr2: 10 November 2011 - 01:50 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 10 November 2011 - 02:03 PM

View PostMartyr2, on 10 November 2011 - 01:49 PM, said:

...setup a phone interview with the dean or head of the department to have them evaluate your qualifications...

I hadn't really thought of this. Thanks for the advice though. I guess I will submit the applications, wait a few days, and then contact my admission counselor to set up a phone interview.

Would the Comp Sci GRE be worth it? I can't really see it hurting.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#10 xclite   User is online

• I wrote you an code
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 November 2011 - 02:06 PM

If you can get a decent score on it (I don't know you, so I added the if), then I think it would definitely help. A lot of schools don't require it but the more you can do to prove you know CS, the better.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 10 November 2011 - 02:19 PM

View Postxclite, on 10 November 2011 - 02:06 PM, said:

If you can get a decent score on it (I don't know you, so I added the if), then I think it would definitely help. A lot of schools don't require it but the more you can do to prove you know CS, the better.

Lol I understand the "if" I don't take any offense to it. Any idea what would be considered "decent"? Or anything about the content of the Comp Sci GRE?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#12 xclite   User is online

• I wrote you an code
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 November 2011 - 02:28 PM

I think most of the information I could give you is here.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Saucy!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 November 2011 - 02:29 PM

Did some editing by request of the OP
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#14 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 November 2011 - 02:30 PM

There are plenty of books and practice exams on the comp sci GRE. I would suggest looking are your school-of-choice's entrance requirements. Some just require the regular GRE.. others require the specialized version. When I took it it basically compassed my entire under grad in comp sci. Decent is what ever number the school (and they tell you up front) requires for you to get in.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 10 November 2011 - 02:35 PM

View Postxclite, on 10 November 2011 - 02:28 PM, said:

I think most of the information I could give you is here.

Ah ok yeah. I went through most of that practice PDF but I will maybe look into some books like modi suggests.

View PostJackOfAllTrades, on 10 November 2011 - 02:29 PM, said:

Did some editing by request of the OP

Thank you.

View Postmodi123_1, on 10 November 2011 - 02:30 PM, said:

There are plenty of books and practice exams on the comp sci GRE. I would suggest looking are your school-of-choice's entrance requirements. Some just require the regular GRE.. others require the specialized version. When I took it it basically compassed my entire under grad in comp sci. Decent is what ever number the school (and they tell you up front) requires for you to get in.

Yeah I have already taken the regular GRE but the reason I thought it might be a good idea to take the Comp Sci specific test is because, as I stated, I do not have my bachelors degree in computer science. Trying to get any edge I can when applying.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +