7 Replies - 2031 Views - Last Post: 02 December 2011 - 10:35 AM Rate Topic: ***** 1 Votes

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

C Programming and Algorithm Book Suggestion

Posted 01 December 2011 - 08:33 AM

I know this question might have been asked before but I didn't find a suitable solution so I am asking it again. Here's my situation: I had been learning C++ for the past few months. So far so good. But now my college says I need to learn C for my next semester. Ok. I already have the book written by D.Ritchie. So would you suggest any other book? Btw, I need to learn algorithms too....so any good book on that?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: C Programming and Algorithm Book Suggestion

• The Algorithmi
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: C Programming and Algorithm Book Suggestion

Posted 01 December 2011 - 08:47 AM

I can recommend some good algorithms books. I'll leave the C books for the C guys, I do however like the C programming language. As for algo books, introduction to algorithm is the holy grail yet difficult to read if you aren't used to formalism and mathematical rigor, but still my favorite book so far. you also have foundations of algorithms, another good book and easier to read than the first one. You also got the algorithm design manual, this one is probably the most reader friendly book of the three. However, before tackling any of these books I recommend that you learn some elementary data structures and algorithms which can be found in any data structures book. Finally you will need some practice, the exercise in these books are a good start but another great source of problems are the numerous online judges, for example topcoder, uva, spoj, codeforces, etc, etc. My advice would be to register to any of these sites and have fun solving problems :)
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 December 2011 - 09:08 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. I have standard level of grasp on pre-grad mathematics, don't know if it would help. Surely will get hold of the books you recommended. Just a quick question ( the question might be foolish ) as algorithm is language independent will I have any problem implementing an algorithm in two different language? Or are there any language specific components that I need to be aware of ( other than the language itself )?

This post has been edited by Jeet.in: 01 December 2011 - 09:10 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Algorithmi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 December 2011 - 09:24 AM

Algorithms are just recipes on how to solve a certain problem, you can apply those recipes with any programming language you choose, there's no connection between a certain algorithm and a programming language. Sometimes its easier to implement a certain algorithm in some language than in another, for example implementing quicksort in haskell is much shorter than in C or Java. But the easiness of implementing an algorithm in a language depends on the language features and what can you do with it. In short learning algorithms have nothing to do with learning programming languages, and implementing a certain algorithm in a number of languages all depends on your knowledge of the language.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 December 2011 - 09:35 AM

Thank you so much mostyfriedman...got the point...btw what is data structures and what is it's relationship with an Algorithm? You it's in my syllabus in next sem, any good book reco on that?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Algorithmi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 December 2011 - 09:59 AM

Well as I said earlier, an Algorithm is just a list of instructions that you follow to solve a problem. For example the steps you apply to solve 2 simultaneous equations is an example of an algorithm. A data structure is way for holding and organizing data. An example of a data structure is an array which you probably have an idea of, another data structure is a binary tree. Of course as you will learn, there isn't a data structure that is suitable for all applications, it all depends on the operations that you want to perform on it, and so you will learn the advantages and disadvantages of each data structure which will help you decide which one is best suited to hold your data for the targeted application. As for books on data structures, there are too too many good ones. The one I used was called Data structures and algorithms in Java I think.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 December 2011 - 10:45 PM

Any other C book recommendations everyone?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 December 2011 - 10:35 AM

As previously mentioned, I think that the best Algorithm textbook is Introduction to Algorithms (CLRS). It's the only textbook that I actively use as a reference in most of my CS courses. It really is, the best of the best. Another great set of books on Algorithms is "The art of Computer Programming" by Knuth. I use those as well quite often, as they really do cover a very very wide variety or topics.

As for C, I recommend "C Programming: A modern Approach" by K.N.King. It's the textbook we use for the C programming/elementary algorithm course I tutor. I think that it's pretty good of a textbook as well.

L.N
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1