13 Replies - 1378 Views - Last Post: 09 December 2011 - 02:06 PM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

having an issue playing all mp3 files...

Posted 03 December 2011 - 05:34 PM

I have been working on an mp3 player for some time, and have noticed a few stark issues, one of them is that the player will not play certain MP3 files.
Not only that but in players like winamp, WMP, and VLC the files play with out issue... I am here providing my MP3.bas file for assistance...

There are no known errors, error trapping has popped nothing... the file wont play and and wont advance... i had to write a "report" sub for the program to look at the file and skip it so that playback isnt halted prematurely...

I have little experience with mp3's to know why it does this... seems like it should play them all.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Jesse Fender

Attached File(s)

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: having an issue playing all mp3 files...

• MrCupOfT
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: having an issue playing all mp3 files...

Posted 03 December 2011 - 05:55 PM

It be much easier for us, if you include the problem source-code inside your post (not zips)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 03 December 2011 - 07:21 PM

View PostAdamSpeight2008, on 03 December 2011 - 04:55 PM, said:

It be much easier for us, if you include the problem source-code inside your post (not zips)

since i dont know where it is in the source code... i candt pot that part specificly.....

The other part of the issue is not all songs are effected... so i felt it best to post the information in the zip file, due to it being 21kb bas file lots o code.

Jesse Fender
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 December 2011 - 01:26 PM

Jesse,

I've not had a look at your code (no time at the moment), but a starting point might be to look at the problem files themselves and compare them to a "good" file.

So look at things like, bitrate and the encoder used to create them.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 04 December 2011 - 08:08 PM

View Postmaj3091, on 04 December 2011 - 12:26 PM, said:

Jesse,

I've not had a look at your code (no time at the moment), but a starting point might be to look at the problem files themselves and compare them to a "good" file.

So look at things like, bitrate and the encoder used to create them.

I have looked at the files as best i know how... nothing seems odd, i dont know how to see how they were encoded.... that is above my level... The one thing i know that cases an issue is song len of 0:00 does the same thing as the other files... But it does them in all the players, they just skip them... i havent figured out how to extract the track length of the MP3 yet... it just seems odd that it would refuse to play certain songs... while playing others fine...

The only thing i can think of because you brought it up is that it isnt able to decode the file... how would i go about looking that up? (ill try google see if that might yield answers...)

Jesse Fender
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 December 2011 - 01:59 AM

There is a free program called GSpot (be careful if you google it! ;) ). This program is used to show what codecs have been used (or required) to play media files. Although I've used it on AVI's, I believe it works on MP3 also.

[EDIT]Another thing to remember is that one of the features of VLC is that it supports lots of formats natively (i.e.: you don't need the codecs installed independently), which is why a lot of people use it.

[EDIT2] After further googling, it seems by default that the MCI won't play files above 192Kbps according to this link. It doesn't go into much detail, but it does suggest that codecs will allow it to go higher, although it doesn't say which!

[EDIT3]Another find at this link, is a complete tutorial (including file duration) and installing codecs too.

That's all for now....keep us updated.

This post has been edited by maj3091: 05 December 2011 - 02:31 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 05 December 2011 - 07:38 PM

View Postmaj3091, on 05 December 2011 - 12:59 AM, said:

There is a free program called GSpot (be careful if you google it! ;) ). This program is used to show what codecs have been used (or required) to play media files. Although I've used it on AVI's, I believe it works on MP3 also.

[EDIT]Another thing to remember is that one of the features of VLC is that it supports lots of formats natively (i.e.: you don't need the codecs installed independently), which is why a lot of people use it.

[EDIT2] After further googling, it seems by default that the MCI won't play files above 192Kbps according to this link. It doesn't go into much detail, but it does suggest that codecs will allow it to go higher, although it doesn't say which!

[EDIT3]Another find at this link, is a complete tutorial (including file duration) and installing codecs too.

That's all for now....keep us updated.

Yeah Thanks Maj., I was searching all day for a codec that would work with MCI, i didnt see any, there was some hope for code that would down the bitrate to whatever i wanted to have it go to., But the issue then would only be a bypass, not a solution.. I would really like to get this fixed, its annoying. truly...

Jesse Fender
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 06 December 2011 - 03:20 PM

So since there seems to be an issue with teh MCI playing bitrates higher than 192kbs is there a way i could tap into windows media player to get it to go higher? Or any suggestions on finding playback codecs that can be implemented via vb6?

Jesse Fender
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 December 2011 - 01:26 AM

Jesse,

There where links in the the 3rd link I gave you, anyway, it's here.

This is a complete collection of codecs for audio and video, so might be worth using the GSpot program I told you about to see what Codec is required for a problem MP3.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 07 December 2011 - 12:42 PM

View Postmaj3091, on 07 December 2011 - 12:26 AM, said:

Jesse,

There where links in the the 3rd link I gave you, anyway, it's here.

This is a complete collection of codecs for audio and video, so might be worth using the GSpot program I told you about to see what Codec is required for a problem MP3.

You had it on the second post... all the files playing were failing due to having the higher bit rate, i installed the codec pack and will test it and post back...

Jesse Fender

{Edit} Codec pack broke player... I dont know how to set the player to use a codec, is there a way, i have codecs that should play it... if i knew hoe to link them and tell them to play the file...
Jesse Fender

This post has been edited by chuckjessup: 07 December 2011 - 02:01 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 December 2011 - 01:37 AM

Hmmmm...now I feel guilty....

OK, did you use the GSpot program to determine the settings and codec for the MP3 file?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 08 December 2011 - 08:20 AM

i did, the mostly use lame for encoding they are both CBR and VBR

bit al with high bit rates....
Ho do i get it to use a different codec to play them!?!
Jesse Fender
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 December 2011 - 08:44 AM

I did PM you on this! ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 09 December 2011 - 02:06 PM

View Postmaj3091, on 08 December 2011 - 07:44 AM, said:

I did PM you on this! ;)

With Maj.'s help we deturmined that the issue was caused by a id tag that was causing a crash of the MCI... the link He gave me is here just incase any one needs it too...

MP3 Parser Download

+1 to maj for his help..

Thanks...

Jesse Fender
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1