3 Replies - 3922 Views - Last Post: 17 December 2011 - 03:33 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

How do I make my website work on all resolutions

Posted 08 December 2011 - 01:42 PM

How do i get my site to work on all resolutions, Is there any rules of thumb i should use or tips and tricks or special java scripts ? My website http://grooveofmusic.com (just a temporarily domain name )

Thanks
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: How do I make my website work on all resolutions

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: How do I make my website work on all resolutions

Posted 08 December 2011 - 01:45 PM

You need to learn more about fluid and responsive designs.

Here are some search queries.

Responsive Design --> http://www.alistapar...ive-web-design/

Fluid Design --> http://www.alistapar...les/fluidgrids/
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 10 December 2011 - 04:35 AM

djd206 said:

How do i get my site to work on all resolutions

You shouldn't, because:
* images get distorted if enlarged by browsers;
* there is a preferred text line length of some 60 characters, and lines should never be longer than 75;
* scaling texts created on a normal computer become unreadable (because too small) if displayed on a mobile phone

I would advise to create fixed-width layouts of some 980 pixels, and create separate pages for mobile phones.

This post has been edited by FrankC: 10 December 2011 - 04:37 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 December 2011 - 03:33 PM

Google has been monitoring screen sizes for a while and they have a great resource for examining the result of a website's size. It also has great pointers for where you should put content like an appeal or call to action on your site.

Google's Browser Size application.

You can (and should) look at your website within this application and see what percentage of people with browsers can see all of it when you re-size things.

Also remember, there is browser "chrome" that will take up a finite amount of the screen if you have a page that requires scrolling.

Frankly, this is one of those questions that is all about someone transitioning from the complete control one has over one's look with print to the web, where some control is given to the individual preferences set in the client (the browser on someone else's computer). Get used to the fact that not everyone has their entire screen real estate filled with your web page, that people can alter font size, that people can make things larger or smaller than you originally intended, that screen sizes differ and that you cannot control these things. A 980px wide page will fill the available browser space in a maximized viewport on a 1024 screen without dropping a horizontal scrollbar (which is what you want to avoid).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1